Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gunfight Trivia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gunfight Trivia  (Read 4491 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2003, 09:39:47 PM »

Just a little gunfighting trivia. If you hold your arm fully extended in front of your face a man at 100 feet is about the size of your thumb. You would have to be very good with a revolver to hit a target that small especially if he's shooting back at you.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 10:40:33 PM »

in your estimation, during the three way duel at sadhill,  how far apart  do blondie & tuco get from each other ?
it seems van cleef is a good 60 feet. blondie & tuco further.  how accreate w/ a hand gun would you have to be from that far away ? not counting how fast.  Undecided

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 11:24:20 PM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 07:30:46 AM »

I don't know but all we'd have to do is freeze frame it and measure Clint with a ruler, I think he's 6'3" so then all you have to do is figure out the ratio feet to inches and measure between him and Tuco.  I would have to assume that Van Cleef is about eqidistant from both of them, 60' is probably a close guesstimate though. I would be fun to find out.

As far as accuracy I have a book (the Gunfighter Man or Myth by Joseph G. Rosa) with a report from 1924 where two experts selected a .36 Colt and a .44 Reminton both in almost new condition and put them to a test. Using round balls from casts supplied with the revolvers they had no difficulty in putting them inside 5" diameter circles at 50 yards. When using conical bullets they found the circles had to be 7" diameter.

In US Army tests conducted from 1872 to 1876 the Colt Peacemaker had a mean absolute deviation at 50 yards of 3.11 inches compared to Smith & Wessons at 4.39 inches. At 25 yards the Colts pennetration was 4.1 inches compared to the S&W's 3.33 inches.

In 1898 it was officially stated that the mean absolute deviation of the Peacemaker was, at 50 yards- 5.3", at 100 yards- 8.3", at 150 yards- 12.3". at 200 yards 15.9" at 250 yards-  24.9" and at 300 yards 28.7".

To compensate for trajectory and drift the correct point of aim at 150 yards was found to be 4' above the target, and at 200 yards 8' above the target.

Now think of the opening Van Cleef shooting sequence in FAFDM, He shoots the horse of Guy escaping down the street with the long barrel Colt with stock attached, Guy in turns pulls out his Short barrel Colt and his shots fall at Van Cleef's feet. He should have been aiming way high to hit Van Cleef. Same logistics displayed when Van Cleef and Clint have the hat shoot in the street. ;-).

Bat Masterson quoted Pat Garret on the possibility of hitting a 1 1/2" bullseye twice out of five shots at 15 paces (about 75 feet). "I would call that very good shooting myself ", said Garret, "If I took carefull aim and did my best."

cj

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 06:52:05 AM »

have you ever kissed a girl mate

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 10:26:01 AM »

Of course, many why do you ask?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 06:36:52 AM »

Ok for all those patiently waiting at the edge of your seats I poped in the GUB DVD and jumped to the corrida shoot out and froze it at the point of the protaganists greatest distance apart from each other.

Clint's 6'3 I've read,  so using him as the starting point and rounding everything up it works out that Blondie and Tuco are about 82 feet (25 meters). Using the next shot (the one behind Tuco looking towards Blondie and Angle Eyes) Tuco is 1.5 inches, Blondie is .75 inches, Angel Eyes is .80 inches, using the ratio obtained from the first measurement Tuco to Angel Eyes is about 76 feet (23 meters) away. So basicaly Blondie and Tuco  are almost about equidistant from  Angel Eyes, and just a bit farther from each other.

Oh and for Hippieoddball 1

have you ever kissed a girl mate

In ten seconds you'll be kissing a girl in Hell! , lol.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 08:23:09 AM »

You have to be one hell of a handsome feller if you still get to kiss girls, Joe... Wink

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 12:13:34 PM »

At duel at end of Once/West, Harmonica and Frank are only about 15 feet apart from each other.

KERMIT
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 04:04:13 PM »

Ok for all those patiently waiting at the edge of your seats I poped in the GUB DVD and jumped to the corrida shoot out and froze it at the point of the protaganists greatest distance apart from each other.

Clint's 6'3 I've read,  so using him as the starting point and rounding everything up it works out that Blondie and Tuco are about 82 feet (25 meters). Using the next shot (the one behind Tuco looking towards Blondie and Angle Eyes) Tuco is 1.5 inches, Blondie is .75 inches, Angel Eyes is .80 inches, using the ratio obtained from the first measurement Tuco to Angel Eyes is about 76 feet (23 meters) away. So basicaly Blondie and Tuco  are almost about equidistant from  Angel Eyes, and just a bit farther from each other.

Oh and for Hippieoddball 1 In ten seconds you'll be kissing a girl in Hell! , lol.
well, then, there, now.  excelent surveying job cj !  Wink
delli colli seems to be using  a "bird's eye" lens
when shooting directly from behind protagonists thus
making opponent look much further away w/ intermittent extreme close-ups of eyes thus adding more tension to this triel, as they say in italy.  a stroke of genuis by delli colli but probably because leone had to have every conceivable shot & angel  using a humongous amount of film.  six months just to edit GB&U. i read where editing phase ended the very day of GB&U's italian release.  leone knew what he wanted.
i rate this the greatest one scene of the greatest film i've yet to see in my lifetime. i think this thread started w/ your observation from col. mortimer's standpoint in FFDM. scuzzi senior, but i had to know for sure.  Undecided

si,si. gratzie.  how you accomplished this feat of measuring distance really made my day as i've always wondered how blondie, while walking toward tuco shot angel eyes remeington & hat into the predug grave waiting for evil doers @ such a distance. one gets the feeking at this piont that blondie really isn't human but some sort of.....space cowboy ? lol  Grin

« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 04:36:40 PM by KERMIT » Logged
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 03:19:13 AM »

well, then, there, now.  excelent surveying job cj !  Wink
delli colli seems to be using  a "bird's eye" lens
when shooting directly from behind protagonists thus
making opponent look much further away w/ intermittent extreme close-ups of eyes thus adding more tension to this triel, as they say in italy.  a stroke of genuis by delli colli but probably because leone had to have every conceivable shot & angel  using a humongous amount of film.  six months just to edit GB&U. i read where editing phase ended the very day of GB&U's italian release.  leone knew what he wanted.
i rate this the greatest one scene of the greatest film i've yet to see in my lifetime. i think this thread started w/ your observation from col. mortimer's standpoint in FFDM. scuzzi senior, but i had to know for sure.  Undecided

si,si. gratzie.  how you accomplished this feat of measuring distance really made my day as i've always wondered how blondie, while walking toward tuco shot angel eyes remeington & hat into the predug grave waiting for evil doers @ such a distance. one gets the feeking at this piont that blondie really isn't human but some sort of.....space cowboy ? lol  Grin

i wonder why Leone went from such long shots betwean protagonists to what cusser judges to be 15 feet betwean frank & harmonica ?
i think it was that sudden cut from harmonica
s boyhood to the final clearing so we know quite naturally Jesus Christ, it's Henry Fonda....BLAM !!! i wonder if frank was tuned in on harmonica's flash back and it messed w/ his quick draw causing harmonica to win ?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:26:11 AM by sargatanas » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM