Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 05:16:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Last Train from Gun Hill (1959)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last Train from Gun Hill (1959)  (Read 8136 times)
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:16:37 AM »

saw this the other day...

Quite a good film in its day.  I urge anyone to have look at the IMDB quotes page.  Some good unīs in there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052993/quotes

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 01:51:33 AM »

I liked 2 things about this movie: firstly, the production design was awesome; it was filmed at Old Tucson, a terrific Western location. And secondly, Kirk Douglas was terrific as always. I've never understood how Earl Holliman got so many big supporting roles, and the story wasn't all that interesting. But the production design and Douglas keep you entertained.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 09:38:09 PM »

To continue my Sturges kick, I watched this again and like most of his westerns, this improves a lot on an additional view. While I know it's a rehash of the great 3:10 to Yuma, this is still a very worthy movie. This is well paced, the locations and scenery were on point and the night scenes were beautiful. Douglas and Quinn are great but it could have used a better supporting cast. With that said, there aren't really any major flaws in this movie and it's very well made from a technical standpoint. I'd say it's a classic of sorts.

8.5/10

I couldn't fit this into the little mini review but John Sturges had to be so ahead of his time in terms of sound design. The gunshots still sound fantastic well over 50 years later.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:41:21 PM by T.H. » Logged

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 04:18:16 AM »

To continue my Sturges kick, I watched this again and like most of his westerns, this improves a lot on additional. While I know it's a rehash of the great 3:10 to Yuma, this is still a very worthy movie. This is well paced, the locations and scenery were on point and the night scenes were beautiful. Douglas and Quinn are great but it could have used a better supporting cast. With that said, there aren't really any major flaws in this movie and it's very well made from a technical standpoint. I'd say it's a classic of sorts.

8.5/10

I couldn't fit this into the little mini review but John Sturges had to be so ahead of his time in terms of sound design. The gunshots still sound fantastic well over 50 years later.

Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »

Adding my review to a healthy thread.

You're leaving' on the next train. I own the sheriff! I own this town! I own every man in it! You're leaving' on the next train, Matt!

Matt Morgan (Kirk Douglas) and Craig Belden (Anthony Quinn) are old friends who went on different career paths. Morgan is a law man, settled down with his Indian wife and had a son. Belden is a cattle baron and self appointed ruler of the town of Gun Hill. When Morgan's wife is raped and murdered, he follows the only clue available to him; one of Belden's saddles. At first he hopes that Belden's saddle had been stolen, but he quickly finds that the horrendous crime has been committed by Rick (Earl Holliman), Belden's son. But upon arresting Rick, Morgan finds that Belden, and the town under his control, except Belden's on off gal, Linda (Carolyn Jones), are not keen to let him leave on the Last Train From Gun Hill.

Directed by John Sturges (The Magnificent Seven), Last Train From Gun Hill is adapted by James Poe (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) from a story written by Les Crutchfield. Photography is by Charles Lang and the score is provided by Dimitri Tiomkin.

The first thing that springs to mind upon completing a viewing of this film; is that the tale has been dealt with far better in the Western genre before. Thus Sturges' film holds no surprises at all. Only two years prior we had had the infinitely superior Delmer Daves piece, 3:10 To Yuma. However, if a story has good thematics, then why not take another wander down a well trodden moody path? Indeed, and Sturges' film is nicely constructed pretty much across the board. With its blend of psychological undertones and action, helped by the mostly impressive cast, it ends up being an entertaining Oater. This in spite of not going a little darker when perhaps it should have. In fact, Sturges, a fine director for sure, is possibly too aware of keeping the film sprightly for a general wide appeal audience, something that can also be said about Tiomkin's score. It's a bit distracting when a tension mounting sequence is scored with funky uplift music! While Lang's photography is interesting, in a good way, using nice long shots in his scorched landscape exteriors.

It's been done better, but none the less it is recommended for those genre fans who like a brave man determined to succeed against overwhelming odds. 7/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

I enjoy your reviews, Spike  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »

I enjoy your reviews, Spike  Afro

Cheers my good man  Afro

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM