Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 12:01:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Missing & Deleted Scenes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing & Deleted Scenes  (Read 12494 times)
a1
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »

- - -

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:06:39 AM by A1 » Logged
Whalestoe
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »

A summary of the missing and deleted scenes.  The scene numbers are those given in the early script/screenplay.

SCENE 15
GRADE CROSSING ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF NEW YORK. (1933/1968)

(The unfilmed title scene)

TRUCKDRIVER
Where you heading?

NOODLES
Wherever you're going.

The TRUCKDRIVER sizes him up. He evidentally passes inspection; the TRUCKDRIVER gives him a nod, and he climbs into the cab.

We hear the sound of an APPROACHING TRAIN, and it whistles past, blocking the view, an endless freight train loaded with Fords, each one just like the next.

The train keeps passing...but gradually the Fords change from '34 models to those of '68 in blazing pink and turquoise and emerald green.

And, as if bridging the years, the title of the film fills the screen:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA

The train disappears, the rattle fades, and the barriers rise.

But we are no longer looking out over the open countryside. We see instead a canyon of cement
high-rises. Heading the row of cars that face us over the crossing is a '60 Chevvy. The driver is in his sixties too...grey hair, a scar on his left ear...NOODLES, forty years later.

How awesome does that sound? Seriously. I wish that could have been.

Whalestoe
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »

Yes it would have been a great scene. Most of us probably agree that it's a pity Leone wasn't allowed to make the film he ideally wanted but hopefully one day some of the unpublished footage that exists will be released.

Another scene which should be mentioned is the "underwater cemetery" idea which some say was inspired by a tale of Harry Grey's concerning how he had once eluded the mob by driving his car into the Hudson river and pretending to kill himself. The camera could follow the driver of the car as he plummets underwater and dwell upon the wrecks lining the river bottom, modern sports cars and a slow dissolve to antique cars.

According to Frayling, initially whenever Leone was discussing the project to prospective backers, he would begin with the following scene.  Two men have dragged a heavy corpse to the edge of a wharf at night.  The feet of the corpse are set in concrete - he is the victim of a gangland execution.  The camera follows the corpse as it sinks to the bottom of the river.  There we see other corpses:  men chained to cars; women still wearing jewels.  Then the camera travels through a sewer to another underwater cemetery - this time with more impoverished-looking corpses: one tied to a cart; another in rags.  Clearly the bottom of the river has neighborhoods just like New York.  Finally the camera rises to the surface again and reveals the Statue Of Liberty, reflected in the moonlight. Title: Once Upon A Time in America.

An adapted version of this scene was used in the opening of 99 and 44/100% Dead (1974) and the original idea was dropped.

I haven't seen that film, is it any good? And did they basically steal this idea from Leone or what?

Whalestoe
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »

Thank you Afro

Sergio.L
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:43:40 AM »

I've located a cheap copy of the movie and I'll post a few screencaps of the underwater cemetery scene in due course.

can you post the opening sequence on youtube? I really would like to see it!!!

Sergio.L
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:15:47 AM »

I'm still waiting for the video tape to arrive and if the scene is any good I'll certainly upload it to Youtube.

Great!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »

I haven't seen 99 and 44/100% Dead (1974) either and it wasn't available to rent from Amazon.  There was a second hand video tape at an inflated price but apart from this scene, I don't think the film is up to much.
I saw it on cable in 1980, and what you say accords with my memory. The opening is interesting, everything else in the film bites.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Sergio.L
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

I've also uploaded it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tGUVaPMc4

It may not have been particularly suitable for Once Upon A Time In America but it would have been different with Morricone music and Leone would have undoubtedly made a better job of this scene.

Thank you so much for the upload! But the music really sucks...  Grin

Leone would have done it MUCH better!!!

Is it a good movie?

Sergio.L
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:54:54 AM »

Yeah the music and the voice-over suck big time.  I've not seen much beyond the first six minutes but I hope the rest of it isn't tongue in cheek all the time.  The video case says:

An amusing and thrilling send-up of the American gangster movie starring Richard Harris, Edmond O'Brien (last film), Ann Turkel, Chuck Connors and Bradford Dillman. A unique movie that blends the James Bond type of thriller with the Matt Helm kind of film and emerges with a cynical and pleasing style of its own. Music by Henry Mancini.

I think it's one of those you're quite glad it's no longer than its running time of 98 minutes.

Smiley

I added some of Morricone's music to the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4FMMVhKxEg

Watch it. It looks much better now!

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:05:30 AM »

I've also uploaded it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tGUVaPMc4
I honestly f***ing love that scene Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Sergio.L
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 08:57:16 AM »

Wow, Sergio.L. that's really impressive - the music improves the scene immeasurably.

Well done  Afro

THANKS  Roll Eyes

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 07:07:59 PM »

Hey, I finally watched this. Very, very clever. Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »

Too bad that's gone now. Hulu has the film, though (albeit in the wrong AR): http://www.hulu.com/watch/74938/99-and-44100-dead

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:45:14 AM »

How awesome does that sound? Seriously. I wish that could have been.

Sounds pretty cool!

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM