Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:22:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  French article
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: French article  (Read 4138 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »

http://cinemaniaque.canalblog.com/archives/2007/01/23/641835.html

Noodles_leone or someone else, what does it say? Smiley Anything interesting? The guy who provided this on IMDb says that according to this text Klaus Kinski and James Cagney were considered for some parts. Does it sound reliable?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »

The article is writen by somebody who loves OUATIA, which is cool. He explains how it was created (the very long process we all know) and then analyse the movie. He knows many things and annecdotes, but much things are already known and he unfortunatly makes a few mistakes (for instance, he asserts that Leone discovered The Hood in 1970, whereas Leone says himself that he had read the book before doing OUATITW). The part you're alking about is this one :

Le scénario se construit tant bien que mal ; les légendes veulent qu’il y ait eu pas moins de 12 versions différentes, et que le script final faisait 400 pages. Leone pense alors au casting : il aimerait avoir trois acteurs différents pour chaque période d’âge différente. A ce moment précis, c’était Richard Dreyfuss et James Cagney qui jouaient Noodles adulte et vieux, et Gérard Depardieu et Jean Gabin pour Max (le nom de Klaus Kinski fut prononcé également). Finalement, ce sont Robert de Niro et James Woods qui furent choisis. Les relations avec De Niro n’étaient pas des meilleures au début : il n’hésitait pas à conseiller Leone sur l’emplacement de la caméra dès le premier jour de tournage. Leone répondit, paisiblement « Bon, d’accord, c’est toi qui diriges le film » et retourna à son hôtel. Mais au fil du temps, les deux hommes se sont entendus à merveille, et tandis que Leone attendait la météo idéale pour ses plans, De Niro conseillait Woods sur des détails pour construire son personnage (il lui fit blanchir ses dents à ses frais, afin de donner à Max un côté vaniteux et propre sur soi).

They're talking about the writing process, and say that at one point, Richard Dreyfuss and James Cagney were supposed to play Noodles (respectively adult and old), and Gérard Depardieu was supposed to be Max adult, and Jean Gabin Max old. "the name of Klaus Kinski had also been pronounced" (about Max).

What I think about it :

Concerning the first 4, i can confirm that (Leone told it in "Conversation with Sergio Leone", that I own and that the article quotes a few times). But nothing was really concrete: Leone had only spoke once or twice with Gabin, and Gabin had only told "we'll go to America together by boat and you'll tell me about the script. I only like boats, i hate planes" or something like that. But the movie would have been different : it would not have been about jewish gangsters, but french immigrant gangsters ("after all, the French Connection has not been invented by scriptwriters!", said Leone). Leone also told : "at this point, we wanted stars from the past, like George Raft. I had also thought about Paul Newman, but he had answered me that he didn't want to appear in a violent movie."

About Kinski, I don't know. Their is nothing in Conversation With Sergio Leone (from where come the Leone quotes i translated for you here). Once again, the guy knows many things but does also a few mistakes, so, who knows  Undecided

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:51:33 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »

Thank you very much Afro

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »

No problem... Just notice that even if i wrote a big text, i didn't answered to your only interogation, which was "Was Kinski supposed to have a part in OUATIA?"  Cheesy

www.ThibautOskian.com
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »

The article is writen by somebody who loves OUATIA, which is cool. He explains how it was created (the very long process we all know) and then analyse the movie. He knows many things and annecdotes, but much things are already known and he unfortunatly makes a few mistakes (for instance, he asserts that Leone discovered The Hood in 1970, whereas Leone says himself that he had read the book before doing OUATITW). The part you're alking about is this one :

Le scénario se construit tant bien que mal ; les légendes veulent qu’il y ait eu pas moins de 12 versions différentes, et que le script final faisait 400 pages. Leone pense alors au casting : il aimerait avoir trois acteurs différents pour chaque période d’âge différente. A ce moment précis, c’était Richard Dreyfuss et James Cagney qui jouaient Noodles adulte et vieux, et Gérard Depardieu et Jean Gabin pour Max (le nom de Klaus Kinski fut prononcé également). Finalement, ce sont Robert de Niro et James Woods qui furent choisis. Les relations avec De Niro n’étaient pas des meilleures au début : il n’hésitait pas à conseiller Leone sur l’emplacement de la caméra dès le premier jour de tournage. Leone répondit, paisiblement « Bon, d’accord, c’est toi qui diriges le film » et retourna à son hôtel. Mais au fil du temps, les deux hommes se sont entendus à merveille, et tandis que Leone attendait la météo idéale pour ses plans, De Niro conseillait Woods sur des détails pour construire son personnage (il lui fit blanchir ses dents à ses frais, afin de donner à Max un côté vaniteux et propre sur soi).

They're talking about the writing process, and say that at one point, Richard Dreyfuss and James Cagney were supposed to play Noodles (respectively adult and old), and Gérard Depardieu was supposed to be Max adult, and Jean Gabin Max old. "the name of Klaus Kinski had also been pronounced" (about Max).

What I think about it :

Concerning the first 4, i can confirm that (Leone told it in "Conversation with Sergio Leone", that I own and that the article quotes a few times). But nothing was really concrete: Leone had only spoke once or twice with Gabin, and Gabin had only told "we'll go to America together by boat and you'll tell me about the script. I only like boats, i hate planes" or something like that. But the movie would have been different : it would not have been about jewish gangsters, but french immigrant gangsters ("after all, the French Connection has not been invented by scriptwriters!", said Leone). Leone also told : "at this point, we wanted stars from the past, like George Raft. I had also thought about Paul Newman, but he had answered me that he didn't want to appear in a violent movie."

About Kinski, I don't know. Their is nothing in Conversation With Sergio Leone (from where come the Leone quotes i translated for you here). Once again, the guy knows many things but does also a few mistakes, so, who knows  Undecided

Dirty stinking Kyrgyz! You don't speak French! What the hell do you think you're  doing?!?!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 04:09:58 PM »

shhhhhhhht! they don't know about it...

And what YOU don't know is : i don't speak english either, ahahaha! i've been lyiing to all of you for YEARS! Evil Evil Evil

www.ThibautOskian.com
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 04:29:36 PM »

Grin Not that I haven't noticed.  Evil  Grin

stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »

This feature must be written off, it says the movie is shot in 2.35 cinemascope. Yeah, sure guy, way to  Afro I'm an hermaphrodite, by the way, and Leone best directed movie is Dirty Harry.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »

This feature must be written off, it says the movie is shot in 2.35 cinemascope. Yeah, sure guy, way to  Afro I'm an hermaphrodite, by the way, and Leone best directed movie is Dirty Harry.
Other people have thought the movie was shot in cinemascope, too, only because all the other Leone films were, and that it's been pan'n'scanned. But the writer doesn't sound like an expert anyway.

stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 02:14:29 AM »

He says that was Leone first cinemascope movie  Grin

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 07:14:39 AM »

He says that was Leone first cinemascope movie  Grin