Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:00:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Man With No Name
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Man With No Name  (Read 14576 times)
Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2002, 07:14:56 PM »

Since this is a brand new board, I figured I'd start some posts.

Yes American audiences knew him as The Man With No Name, but in thsi film someone called him something else. What was it and what does it mean?

Brendan
Road Apple

One of the best.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 09:39:19 PM »

I know his real name was Monco, but I have no idea what it means. I didnt think it meant anything. I thought it was just a name.

You ever think how the most minor decision can change the entire direction of your life?
KC
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2002, 10:38:26 PM »

Actually, Eastwood's character doesn't really have a name in any of the three Leone pictures. He's called "Joe" in A Fistful of Dollars ... but only by the little old coffin maker, who for all we know calls all Gringos "Joe." He's called "Blondy" in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but again only by one character, Tuco. And in For a Few Dollars More, he's called "Manco" (in English language prints) or "Monco" (in Italian prints, and in the Italian credits, and in the credits for the American release, which were copied from the Italian). That is a sobriquet, not a real name; "Manco" and "Monco" mean the same thing in Spanish and Italian, namely, one-handed or maimed.

From the  University of Chicago Spanish Dictionary has it: "manco. adj. one-armed; one-handed; maimed; lame (referring to an arm or the front leg of an animal); faulty, defective."

From the Concise Cambridge Italian Dictionary: "monco, adj. maimed; (fig.); deficient; incomplete; stunted; n.m. person who has lost one, or both, of his hands; cripple."

It was confirmed for me by Sergio Donati (one of the screenwriters, uncredited) that this nickname was chosen for Eastwood's character as a sardonic comment on the fact that he never does anything with his right hand ... except shoot.

Eastwood's character is called by this name only twice in the film (both times, in his absence) ... once by the Sheriff of Tucumcari, when he's telling Col. Mortimer that another man is on Red Cavanaugh's trail, and once by Indio, when he asks Niņo how long he's known that "Manco is a bounty killer."

As in the other films, he never refers to himself by this name or any name at all.

KC

Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 07:34:15 PM »

Thanks for the info KC.

AS
Road Apple

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 01:36:08 PM »

Monco also means another thing: FAFDM was in 1965 the "sequel" of FOD. In this film Mario Brega beats Joe's hand with this heel...and in the following film Joe is Monco, while Chico becames Nino with a ugly wound in his face, this also caused by Joe in the previous film! and so on...Many of the actors of FOD resurrect in FAFDM!!!

Un tipo molto svelto, lo chiamano...il Monco! Manager of http://groups.msn.com/TheTucumcariwebconnection
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2002, 06:44:53 AM »

thats a good point about the hand.  its intressting how leone brings across actors from all three films into different parts.  all the bandits in the first two seem to be the same.  There must be some meaning to these, and i'm guessing the monco/manco name has a direct link to FOD

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 05:54:56 PM »

I think the only link was that they were good character actors, the  timeline puts GBU first (black powder guns, though converted to cartriges) FAFDM is next (cartrige revolvers) and the machine gun that Ramon uses puts FOD the last.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 08:38:57 AM »

clint also has the apperance of a much younger person in gbu, the way he dresses and the fact that although he is a maverick, he uses a partner.  I am not an expert on american history (as i am english, and we are to stuborn minded to bother learning about it,) , so i wouldn't be able to criticise your chronological ordering by weapons.  Although i cannot feel that leone could have paid to much attention the actual date set of the movies, if we were to ask him i am sure that he would say he did not have a set date, but used a certain period around which he could set his movie.  So for instance he needed to use civil war times to create GBU, so he just tried to incorporate things from the time to give the movie a feel of realism, not a direct parrallel to the time.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2002, 08:40:49 AM by caius » Logged

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2002, 05:41:48 AM »

I'm sure what you say is true, the low budget spartan nature of FOD would be at the mercy of what the crew could gather together. Its more like it was set on a distant planet called the West, lol. As the movies gained popularity and budget more attention was paid to details.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2003, 11:24:13 AM »

I read somewhere that the name meant ' The monk'

johnk
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2003, 11:29:34 AM »

I know his real name was Monco, but I have no idea what it means. I didnt think it meant anything. I thought it was just a name.

I read somewhere it meant the ' Monk' (nickname)

KC
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2003, 07:47:26 PM »

Despite what you may have read (for instance in Richard Schickel's error-ridden Eastwood biography, or in Robert C. Cumbow's Leone study), Monco does not mean "monk" in any language. Neither does "Manco." Please see my post above, the third one in this thread.

The Italian word for "monk" is monaco. The Spanish word for "monk" is monje.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 07:48:41 PM by KC » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 08:41:22 AM »

I don't know what you are exactly saying: i don't i don't know what does monco means in english. Here is what i know about the man with no name's name Smiley :

Eastwood's name in french is : "le manchot", which means somebody with only one hand (may be it is the same with "monco" in english, i've no idea).

At the begining of the movie, he keeps one arm hidden under his poncho (and like that he can surprise some guys and kill them in drawing with the hidden hand).

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 12:43:42 PM »

In spanish the word "manco" (and not "monco") means "manchot" in french, it means a man with only one arm.

I think maybe it was Leone's intention to give Eastwood character that name. There's perhaps a pronounciation mistake, I really dont' know.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Nothing but a rotten son of a...
Chicken Thief

But you don't look like the one who'll collect it

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 01:42:34 PM »

I think the only link was that they were good character actors, the  timeline puts GBU first (black powder guns, though converted to cartriges) FAFDM is next (cartrige revolvers) and the machine gun that Ramon uses puts FOD the last.

Nope. You can forget about working out the timelines from the props as there are plenty of known anachronisms in Leone's films.

The nickname "Manco" ("one-handed" in Spanish) and the fact that his shooting hand is braced (and used for nothing else than shooting) in FFDM is an obvious reference to the fact that his hand was crushed in FOD.

GBU is equally obvious a prequel to both FOD and FFDM as they are obviously set after the Civil War (probably in the 1870's as evidenced by dates on tombstones and newspapers). Remember also that the character gets his poncho and other attributes in GBU...

« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 01:43:31 PM by Nothing but a dirty son of a... » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM