Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 06:37:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Besides Morricone, what composer would you have liked Leone to work with?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Besides Morricone, what composer would you have liked Leone to work with?  (Read 3988 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »

Nino Rota. His very-Italian-feeling scores in The Godfather, The Leopard, and Rocco and His Brothers are just awesome.

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »

Bernard Hermann & Leone would have made an interesting duo

but its hard to imagine leone working with anyone other then IL Maestro himself  Azn

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »

OH OH! i just thought of an even better match to leone, and the only one who could ever possibly match morricone......

Richard Wagner  Cheesy

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:41:16 PM »

How about Elmer Bernstein?  Obviously very different tones with their music for movies so it should be an interesting collaboration to see how Leone's visuals and Bernstein's audio gel/don't gel.  Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »

none.
they would have ruined the films.
archie.

ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:03 PM »

I agree, Nino Rota would have been great.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:08:56 AM »

none.
they would have ruined the films.
archie.

Of course. We're just playing. Firecracker would say Bruno Nicolai (but Nicolai wouldn't have existed without Morricone, even assuming he had a greater part in some of the compositions of the Maestro of what it is only natural to assume). So I say John Barry: a John Barry goaded into experimentalism by Leone, as Morricone was. But of course we would be watching, in all cases, another movie. The problem is (as everybody here knows) that Morricone invented another kind of movie soundtrack like Leone invented another kind of western. Nobody did that, before and after. And while I'm certain Morricone could have scored greatly for Fellini, I'm not sure Rota could have come up with something so disruptive for Leone. He would have made a great score but it remains to be proved that such a particular genre like western could have been in his line. The fact that he never scored one should mean something. And listening to some of his soundtracks (very little) I've never found something that could have done so well for the westerns. It is interesting to compare the main theme of The clan of Sicilians with that of Godfather: that does explain better than words the difference between the two, though listening to tghe Fellini scores for La dolce vita or 8 1\2 leaves still much room to ponder.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:55:23 PM »

I received The Wind and the Lion Expanded Soundtrack for Christmas. Hearing it outside of the film for the first time, it's pretty damned awesome, I must say - definitely Goldsmith's best, and in the same league as some of Morricone's stuff.

Saturday nights with Groggy
ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »

Definitely Goldsmith. He even makes bad movies sound good.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM