Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:26:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)  (Read 4466 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 06:01:04 AM »

This is the South American Getaway.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 06:26:35 AM »

South American Getaway is not a cappella, as it has a rhythm section plus a piano and a violin. It is rather a vocalized tune.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »

Like Bud Spencer in ALTRIMENTI CI ARRABIAMO. That was alla cappella. Penso.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 07:08:09 PM »

South American Getaway is not a cappella, as it has a rhythm section plus a piano and a violin. It is rather a vocalized tune.

Whatever you want to call it it was CRAP.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 12:26:32 AM »

Whatever you want to call it it was CRAP.

One of my favourite Bacharach's composition. Apparently you have no antennas for good music.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2017, 04:13:16 AM »

Being in a Western it was CRAP along with "Raindrops"  Afro  Smiley

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 04:31:36 AM »

No, it works very well in the film.

As do the songs in Cable Hogue and the one in Roy Bean.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2017, 04:35:19 AM »

An Oscar winning song can't be wrong. And what a song. About the other, it rhymes with the light-comedy touch of the sequence. BTW, the bycicle business is one of the few elements of historical truth in the movie.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 04:42:07 AM »

It is just a wonderful movie - if one shares the filmmaker's taste: Relying so heavily on music is always risky.  If you don't like Lai's music for A MAN AND A WOMAN or Legrand's for THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR, you'll never appreciate the films as much as others do who love the music.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 02:56:18 PM »

musical interludes often screw up a movie. There are some exceptions. IMO, the musical piece in Rio Bravo was great. (The first song "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me." The second one, "Cindy," is awful. But the interlude fits - they are sitting around in the station, basically like prisoners themselves, it makes sense that they would have to pas the time, so they sit around singing. And it's a good song, too.

The Raindrops thing is awful. A 1960's music video stuck in middle of a movie. Awful.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »

Stanton is right in this thread. Mike has a point, also. Drink is as wrong as a Drink.

www.ThibautOskian.com
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »

Some things I loved about filmmaking from the mid 60s to the mid 70s is stuff like the RAINDROPS sequence. It was very daring and fresh and new. 'hoping that some could relate to it and never mind the others Smiley. I always loved it anyway. To me it was true to life itself: I love women and I had situations like this here and there in my own life (both sides of the story): you going out for a walk with the girl, while the guy she slept with just hours ago is still asleep... It's just an unusual and different, cool and modern film. Love it. Almost every minute and every frame. ALTHOUGH at the very same time, in early / mid 68, two films were shot, that are my all-time number 1 + 2 (WILD BUNCH & EASY RIDER - also OUATITW of course!). BUTCH can never be in my Top 20 because it is not deep enough (which it doesn't want to be anyway), but it is a masterpiece, something that that hasn't been done before, with a great casting choice by Hill (McQueen & Newman - that would have been another - great -film). I love Redford. They did everything right. Great performance. His career was between old school BAREFOOT and "something coming", I think he made the picture.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 03:55:26 AM »

Some things I loved about filmmaking from the mid 60s to the mid 70s is stuff like the RAINDROPS sequence. It was very daring and fresh and new. 'hoping that some could relate to it and never mind the others Smiley. I always loved it anyway. To me it was true to life itself: I love women and I had situations like this here and there in my own life (both sides of the story): you going out for a walk with the girl, while the guy she slept with just hours ago is still asleep... It's just an unusual and different, cool and modern film. Love it. Almost every minute and every frame. ALTHOUGH at the very same time, in early / mid 68, two films were shot, that are my all-time number 1 + 2 (WILD BUNCH & EASY RIDER - also OUATITW of course!). BUTCH can never be in my Top 20 because it is not deep enough (which it doesn't want to be anyway), but it is a masterpiece, something that that hasn't been done before, with a great casting choice by Hill (McQueen & Newman - that would have been another - great -film). I love Redford. They did everything right. Great performance. His career was between old school BAREFOOT and "something coming", I think he made the picture.

Put that way I can agree, judge it with the other Music Video Westerns, they are as you say "not deep enough".

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 05:12:05 AM »

Put that way I can agree, judge it with the other Music Video Westerns, they are as you say "not deep enough".

Cable Hogue is not deep enough? You are kidding ...

Same goes for Roy Bean.

All 3 are unusual and intelligent westerns with fine if not excellent directing. And compared with Leone's westerns, Leone does not always win ...

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »

And compared with Leone's westerns, Leone does not always win ...

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

BURN THE WITCH!!!

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:45:43 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM