Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 02:59:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)  (Read 4515 times)
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

This may sound like a really stupid question but I've searched the net and cannot find the answer...... Where did the old footage that they used for this film come from?? It's either made in 1969 to look old or is indeed from the turn of the century. I'm guessing that it was made in 1969 to look old but can you enlighten me please

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »

I believe it was made to look old also.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:48:07 AM »

Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid - 9/10

MOST OF WHAT FOLLOWS IS TRUE.

It lacked something to be perfect. It seemed a bit vague to me... I liked the comedial part, though. I think it's because I watched it because of it yesterday.
Some great cinematic ideas put into it. Because I watched it after I had read the discussion whether sound destroyed cinema, the begining was definitely spot on.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:19:31 AM »

Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid - 9/10

MOST OF WHAT FOLLOWS IS TRUE.

It lacked something to be perfect. It seemed a bit vague to me... I liked the comedial part, though. I think it's because I watched it because of it yesterday.
Some great cinematic ideas put into it. Because I watched it after I had read the discussion whether sound destroyed cinema, the begining was definitely spot on.

Can't say I'm a big fan, it's one of those films I find to be too clever for its own good. For me, it really dwindled in the mind after the first viewing.

Saturday nights with Groggy
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »

Can't say I'm a big fan, it's one of those films I find to be too clever for its own good. For me, it really dwindled in the mind after the first viewing.

Well, it was my first viewing.
And I have to say when Goldman is concerned, Princess Bride is definitely his better work, I mean the book.
But I liked this one nonetheless. It seems to me to be its own kind, and you either like it or not. That's perfectly OK.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »

Thought I had marked this one too, but apparently I didn't. I like it very much, and has been growing on me ever since I saw it in August 1970. The best chase scene ever, probably not only in western. And a light-comedy spirit well-kept till the end. Ross is probably the only case where the original was prettier than the Hollywood version. And, of course, Bacharach: why The Sundance Kid wasn't used for the NY freezes or the cathouse first scene is a mystery. 8/10

Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »

Thought I had marked this one too, but apparently I didn't. I like it very much, and has been growing on me ever since I saw it in August 1970. The best chase scene ever, probably not only in western. And a light-comedy spirit well-kept till the end. Ross is probably the only case where the original was prettier than the Hollywood version. And, of course, Bacharach: why The Sundance Kid wasn't used for the NY freezes or the cathouse first scene is a mystery. 8/10

The chase seen was excellent.  This movie started good, went down hill, then ended good.  My problem is the inclusion of the romance between Butch and and the female character. It bogged the movie down and almost turned it into a romance movie.  The rest of the movie was on point.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:14:28 AM by Moorman » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:05:12 AM »

No, no, no, it's great. It's a movie about nostalgia. It makes me nostalgic about westerns, Wild West, freedom, love, friendship, simpler times, the 60's... It successfully makes you think about an hypothetical golden age for all these things.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 01:18:12 AM »

My problem is the inclusion of the romance between Butch and and the female character.

Uh?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 05:20:14 AM »

I think I gave it about a 7-8, I like some parts of it but not others.

It belongs to a curious quasi comedy sub genre of Westerns, those Westerns that were quasi spoofs that also included what were basically "music videos" The Ballad of Cable Hogue was the best of the lot.

The Music Video Westerns or MVW's

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (1969)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972)
The Duchess & The Dirtwater Fox (1976)

There may be a few others.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 05:47:01 AM »

Whatever it is, Butch Cassidy is one of the best directed westerns. A little bit to chic for its own good, but a pleasure to watch. It is not one of my favourite movies anymore, but I still hold it in high regard.

Not really a comedy, but with a light comedy touch.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 07:29:59 AM »

It belongs to a curious quasi comedy sub genre of Westerns, those Westerns that were quasi spoofs that also included what were basically "music videos" The Ballad of Cable Hogue was the best of the lot.

The Music Video Westerns or MVW's

Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (1969)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972)
The Duchess & The Dirtwater Fox (1976)

There may be a few others.

Well said.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »

I think I gave it about a 7-8, I like some parts of it but not others.

You gave it 7. I disagree that Cable Hogue is the best of whatever: a boring movie like few. But I want to stress the fact that Cassidy, though kept in a light mood throughout, at last leaves me an impression of sadness like few other movies. BTW the whole story, though given as true, has nothing to do with the real facts around Cassidy and Sundance (and Etta Place). The chase was totally an invention and so how things went in South America, not only Bolivia.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »

The Ballad of Cable Hogue was the best of the lot.

I never thought of "music videos", but CABLE surely is terrific. I think Sam could get performances out of actors like (almost) no-one else. Those who don't have antennas for this might consider the film as "boring", others are rewarded with real human beings on the screen, just great (although the film is a few minutes too long.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »

I never thought of "music videos", but CABLE surely is terrific. I think Sam could get performances out of actors like (almost) no-one else. Those who don't have antennas for this might consider the film as "boring", others are rewarded with real human beings on the screen, just great (although the film is a few minutes too long.

Mein Freund,  I consider it boring because that movie is boring. It might have been the best acted movie ever made, it would still be boring. At least for me, who even gave it a second chance. But I won't say that you and CJ and whoever like this movie have no antennas for a boring movie (though CJ gives daily examples). So please do not denigrate other people  about having antennas or whatever: just say that you like it and why. Verstanden?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:57:03 AM by titoli » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM