Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2019, 03:58:44 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  We need a better DVD!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: We need a better DVD!  ( 3833 )
The clint
Gunslinger

« : January 24, 2008, 11:18:28 AM »

MGM have been total wankers in releasing their movies to DVD, there's always something wrong with their DVDs, and Leone's westerns are no exception. The video quality of the old GBU disc was washed out, with a greenish-gold tint, while the SE has an awful reddish-pink tint and noticeably zoomed in!

The 5.1 remixed English soundtrack is literally unlistenable and guess what, no English mono available so the DVD is quite useless! They also only have the option of the restored 179 minute cut (not even the full cut of the film, since it is still missing shots from the beating scene and the original intermission) and don't give a shred of thought to the fact that many people prefer the classic 161 minute cut of the film because of it's faster pace.

A perfect DVD of the film would, of course, offer the film in both 161 minute and the full Italian version (running about 186 minutes), with original mono mixes.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #1 : January 24, 2008, 11:27:41 AM »

Not perfect, but the release could be worse.

BTW, if anyone has a spare DVD of the original American cut of GBU I'd be interested in buying it ;)

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #2 : January 24, 2008, 12:36:26 PM »

This version is still available commercially, the original one-disc DVD.  About $10.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3 : January 24, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »

This version is still available commercially, the original one-disc DVD.  About $10.
In R2?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #4 : January 24, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »

MGM have been total wankers in releasing their movies to DVD, there's always something wrong with their DVDs, and Leone's westerns are no exception. The video quality of the old GBU disc was washed out, with a greenish-gold tint, while the SE has an awful reddish-pink tint and noticeably zoomed in!

The 5.1 remixed English soundtrack is literally unlistenable and guess what, no English mono available so the DVD is quite useless! They also only have the option of the restored 179 minute cut (not even the full cut of the film, since it is still missing shots from the beating scene and the original intermission) and don't give a shred of thought to the fact that many people prefer the classic 161 minute cut of the film because of it's faster pace.

A perfect DVD of the film would, of course, offer the film in both 161 minute and the full Italian version (running about 186 minutes), with original mono mixes.
I assume much of this will be addressed with the Blu-ray release.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #5 : February 03, 2008, 11:21:36 PM »

I want the remastered theatrical version.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Helenea
Chicken Thief

I did get off.

« #6 : February 04, 2008, 08:27:15 PM »

I want the remastered theatrical version.

That would be soooo cool!!! O0

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #7 : March 25, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »

That would be soooo cool!!! O0

It sure would. I'm still waiting for it. I'm surprised they didn't give us the theatrical version with the extended special edition.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #8 : March 26, 2008, 06:52:58 AM »

Technically, this should be possible.  On a single disc is both American Gangster theatrical and extended versions, you chose which one you wanted to play.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines