Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 07:12:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone's Score
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone's Score  (Read 6290 times)
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2003, 10:10:20 AM »

In an interview I recently saw (on the Companeros DVD), Morricone said that the FoD score was the worst one he ever did for a western. I might agree he has written better music, but this is far from bad. Does anyone agree with Morricone here.

He didn't think very much of the film either.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 07:29:43 PM »

i think all involved w/ fod, @ the time, had no idea what success they were in for.  it seems it was a very tough time.....ie. untill film was released ( in mid aug.  Tongue ).

clint went back to hollywood thinking his acting gig was over where he finally discovered the actual name of the film not magnificent stranger but FOD.

i can tell a much more relaxed atmosphere in FFDM starting w/ van cleef's col. mortimer.

morricone's music gets better.  but fistfull ?  no one knew....yet.  

clint begged leone not to make him use the cigar in FFOD again.
leone told clint. " that cigar is the star".   Grin

morricone & leone, after seeing fod in a cinema, both realized it could have been made much better. a lot had been left "unresolved" .  scince fistful morricone had become a much more experienced  film composer w/ nine new films to his credit.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 11:11:32 PM by KERMIT » Logged
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 01:31:30 PM »

Wasn't the main musical theme of FOD borrowed  from another piece of music?? Maybe this could be morricone's reason for not speaking too highly of the work.

There was stuff written in 'Something To Do With Death' about it... can't quite remember.

KERMIT
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 01:29:53 PM »

correct sir. i'm checking into STDWD right now.  Grin

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 04:21:31 AM »

Wasn't the main musical theme of FOD borrowed  from another piece of music?? Maybe this could be morricone's reason for not speaking too highly of the work.

There was stuff written in 'Something To Do With Death' about it... can't quite remember.

TITOLI and it's subsequent arrangements was adapted from Morricone's arrangement for Woody Guthrie's PASTURES OF PLENTY

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 08:36:58 AM »

Yeah thats it.

Talking of Morricone interpreting other peoples work. 'La Condanna' on the Big Gundown he uses a Beethoven accent to fantastic use. The composition is similar to all his spaghetti western showdown pieces like GBU, FAFDM.

KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 01:19:09 AM »

TITOLI and it's subsequent arrangements was adapted from Morricone's arrangement for Woody Guthrie's PASTURES OF PLENTY
VISITOR, i'm having problems connecting these two peices of musc. could you shed a little light on how this came about ? is it in "something to do w/ death"?
many thx.  Wink

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 01:21:26 AM by KERMIT » Logged
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 02:33:04 PM »

I don't know if you found it Kermit in 'Something'?
its on page 156 -halfway down. Morricone did his own version of the track for a RCA 45 single in 1962. with whistle, whip cracks the jobs lot.
Maybe Morricone's interpretation bridges the gap between.. Guthrie Original - FOD theme.  

Or maybe more a treatment & style of sound than just the actual arangement... mmmmm   Undecided

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 04:03:07 PM by The Smoker » Logged

klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 03:03:59 PM »

How old is maestro Morricone? About 70 I guess? I hope he has long healthy live ahead so he can write haunting scores for a long long time. I dare to compare him with Moazrt or Bach. He's pure genius.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 04:34:18 PM by klaatu » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 04:00:02 PM »

How old is maestro Morricone? About 70 I guess? I hope he has long healthy live and write haunting score for a long long time. I dare to compare him with Moazrt or Bach. He's pure genius.
he was born in 1928 according to www.imdb.com .
this makes him 75 ?

Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 04:37:45 PM »

the proper main theme played during the smoke scene at the end is basically a variation from rio bravo when the mexicans play that theme for 4 days or whatver it is to wind up john wayne, etc.
Leone actually wanted to use this theme but morricone talked him into letting him record his own.
Personally i think that theme is one of the best he's ever written, top 5 i would say, i think the whole score is fantastic really.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
KERMIT
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 06:33:37 PM »

I don't know if you found it Kermit in 'Something'?
its on page 156 -halfway down. Morricone did his own version of the track for a RCA 45 single in 1962. with whistle, whip cracks the jobs lot.
Maybe Morricone's interpretation bridges the gap between.. Guthrie Original - FOD theme.  

Or maybe more a treatment & style of sound than just the actual arangement... mmmmm   Undecided
thx smoker  Grin

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 03:52:45 AM »

it's not THE THEME, it's TITOLI.

The THEME is the trumpet music(inspired by RIO BRAVO as pointed out above)

TITOLI is the whistling, guitar music heard over the "titles", hence TITOLI.

And yes, it sounds EXACTLY like TITOLI minus the whistle, but with vocals added.

KERMIT
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 10:20:53 AM »

it's not THE THEME, it's TITOLI.

The THEME is the trumpet music(inspired by RIO BRAVO as pointed out above)

TITOLI is the whistling, guitar music heard over the "titles", hence TITOLI.

And yes, it sounds EXACTLY like TITOLI minus the whistle, but with vocals added.

thx VISITOR. clarification appreciated.  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM