Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 12:46:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  First Blood (1982)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Blood (1982)  (Read 7043 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »

Best of the series.
When first watching it I was shocked that the explosions, gunfights, corny lines and bad acting were kept to a minimum. In fact, they were non-existant for the most part.
The advertisements and word of mouth always lead me to believe this would be Commando with Sly instead of Arnold. It wasn't until watching this one that I realized the most recognizable image of Rambo (http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2005/10/29/inside-rambo.jpg) stems from the two sequels (mostly Rambo: First Blood 2) and not the first film.
The movie isn't an action extravaganza but a very suddle thriller/drama.
I have only two gripes with the film...

1. Sly's ending monologue is over the top and may make some viewers chuckle.

2. The cheesy 80's pop song during the closing credits (Yikes!).

The movie was followed by two three lesser sequels.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:34:01 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »

Until Stallone is put in prison it is the best thing done in commercial cinema about Vietnam vets. And until the first half it is among the best action movies ever done. All in all a good 8\10 thriller. Never had the guts to watch the sequels. But maybe I'll give this last a try: the last Rocky was the best of the series (saw the first one when released and didn't like it): this could get near the first though Rambo can be a bit credible only when fighting his own countrymen: by exporting him you demean it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:50 AM »

the last Rocky was the best of the series (saw the first one when released and didn't like it)

I'm one of the few that will agree with you on that.
Never liked 1-5.
For some reason RB reached me.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »

Yes, I agree it's still the best in the series. A great mix of action and drama which I love. I think RAMBO comes close to it on that level.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:07:55 AM »

For some reason RB reached me.

The reason is that Rocky plays less the winning underdog and more the losing pro. So he's more credible.

Whalestoe
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:51:22 AM »

1. Sly's ending monologue is over the top and may make some viewers chuckle.

We were in this bar in Saigon and this kid comes up, this kid carrying a shoe-shine box. And he says "Shine, please, shine!" I said no. He kept askin', yeah, and Joey said "Yeah." And I went to get a couple of beers, and the box was wired, and he opened up the box, fucking blew his body all over the place. And he's laying there, he's fucking screaming. There's pieces of him all over me, just... (Takes off his bandolier) like this, and I'm tryin' to pull him off, you know, my friend that's all over me! I've got blood and everything and I'm tryin' to hold him together! I'm puttin'... the guy's fuckin' insides keep coming out! And nobody would help! Nobody would help! He's saying, sayin' "I wanna go home! I wanna go home!" He keeps calling my name! "I wanna go home, Johnny! I wanna drive my Chevy!" I said "Why? I can't find your fuckin' legs! I can't find your legs!"

You mean this most excellent quotage?

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:07:35 AM »

Never saw any of the sequels. I liked this one but the others don't sound as good.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »

Never saw any of the sequels. I liked this one but the others don't sound as good.

I love all the films. They all have a great message. I just love this character.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:39 AM »

First Blood is one of my favorites movies of all time. Love the ending monologue, almost brings me to tears towards the end, "Sometimes I wake up and don't know where I am..." Jesus, that was some heavy shit. Probably Sly's best acting moment of his carrer. Of course they went Commando with the sequel, not to say it's a bad thing, the 2nd was one entertaining fucking flick (the 3rd was entertaining enough but not as well done, and the 4th was just downright bad), just that they went in a totally different direction with the sequels. In fact, whenever I do watch First Blood, its really easy to think of it as a completely different series and just consider it as a stand alone film.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »

First Blood is one of my favorites movies of all time. Love the ending monologue, almost brings me to tears towards the end, "Sometimes I wake up and don't know where I am..." Jesus, that was some heavy shit. Probably Sly's best acting moment of his carrer. Of course they went Commando with the sequel, not to say it's a bad thing, the 2nd was one entertaining fucking flick (the 3rd was entertaining enough but not as well done, and the 4th was just downright bad), just that they went in a totally different direction with the sequels. In fact, whenever I do watch First Blood, its really easy to think of it as a completely different series and just consider it as a stand alone film.

I honestly can't understand why you think the fourth one is bad. It's the most realistic RAMBO film out of the bunch. Yes, even more so than FIRST BLOOD. I think First Blood and RAMBO go hand in hand. Yes, I'm just being subjective. To me, I see a lot of similarities in both films.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »

Realism has nothing to do with a film working well as a film. I liked some aspects the movie was trying to go for, but it was poorly paced, moving a little too fast which made some of the more potentially dramatic moments come off as silly, I didn't really feel any connection with Rambo's character this time around and wish it was dealt with more deeply, and it very boring considering all the reviews saying how action packed it was. And the little action that was in it wasn't particularly well done on an action movie stand point.

- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:18 PM »

Realism has nothing to do with a film working well as a film. I liked some aspects the movie was trying to go for, but it was poorly paced, moving a little too fast which made some of the more potentially dramatic moments come off as silly, I didn't really feel any connection with Rambo's character this time around and wish it was dealt with more deeply, and it very boring considering all the reviews saying how action packed it was. And the little action that was in it wasn't particularly well done on an action movie stand point.

Actually the pace of the film was on par with the previous films. First Blood was 90 minutes as well as Rambo: First Blood Part II. Rambo III was 95 minutes, the longest of the bunch. The pace of those films moved just as fast as Rambo. It felt just like a Rambo film should feel in my opinion, pace wise.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »

Just gonna have to agree to disagree. Pacing and running time don't always match up. It's the content and structure that make the difference.

- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 03:22:32 PM »

Just gonna have to agree to disagree. Pacing and running time don't always match up. It's the content and structure that make the difference.

I agree with you to some extent about the pacing of this film. I thought it should have been a bit longer than it was. However, it wasn't enough for me to dislike the film. I loved what I seen. I think this is the second best film in the series, just below FIRST BLOOD a tad.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »

The reason is that Rocky plays less the winning underdog

Are you talking about Rocky 2? Because in Rocky he doesn't win.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM