Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 05:18:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Castle Keep (1969)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Castle Keep (1969)  (Read 2555 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »

One of the most overlooked war films you will ever see. Lead by an awesome cast in Burt Lancaster, Peter Falk, Patrick O'Neal, Jean-Pierre Aumont, Scott Wilson, and Bruce Dern.

The plot outline is this...During the Battle of the Bulge, an anachronistic count shelters a ragtag squad of Americans in his isolated castle hoping they will defend it against the advancing Germans. This is easily one of Sydney Pollack's greatest films. The action sequences are astounding and very realistic. It's been regarded by Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, and John Milius as one of the greatest films ever made, and I agree with them. It's very original to say the least.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:36:46 AM »

Boring.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »

Boring.

There was never a boring moment for me. As rrpower put it to me the other day and I think he was right. "No movie is boring to me unless [you] don't understand whats going on". That rings true. I don't find anything boring. If I don't understand it, I'll turn it off, or ask questions about it.

Castle Keep was not boring in my opinion.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:49:12 AM by TucumcariBound » Logged

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »

Never heard of this film TB. I will definitely check this one out.
BTW, I tried googling Astrid Heeren for pics with no luck.
She looks quite attractive on the poster. Kiss

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 08:53:15 AM »

Never heard of this film TB. I will definitely check this one out.
BTW, I tried googling Astrid Heeren for pics with no luck.
She looks quite attractive on the poster. Kiss

She's absolutely stunning. Wait till you see her in the film. Your jaw will be dropping. She's a beautiful girl.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 11:41:53 AM »

I saw it on tv in the '80's. I was a Pollack fan and looked forward to it but was a let down. Don't ask me to go into particulars because I don't remember much about it if not the general effect. And I disagree about boring being what you don't understand: I think most of the times is verily the opposite: you realize very well what the author is leading to and wonder why he takes so much to get there.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »

I saw it on tv in the '80's. I was a Pollack fan and looked forward to it but was a let down. Don't ask me to go into particulars because I don't remember much about it if not the general effect. And I disagree about boring being what you don't understand: I think most of the times is verily the opposite: you realize very well what the author is leading to and wonder why he takes so much to get there.

Well, it's all subjective. I can see why someone wouldn't like this. It's a different kind of war film all together. I've never seen one quite like it and that's one of the reason's why I enjoyed it so much.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 03:45:53 PM »

I love this movie, plain and simple.  Saw it awhile back on AMC for the first time and bought the widescreen DVD last summer.  It's a very surreal movie, many scenes are very dream-like, and the ending battle never shows how many of the characters die, only that say they've died.  Very late 60s music, but I liked it, and the casting is perfect, especially Lancaster, Patrick O'Neal, and my personal favorite in this one, Peter Falk as Sgt. Rossi, the soldier turned baker.

Best line overall is from Rossi.  "If we get caught, will they shoot us for wearing a German tank?" Grin

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »

I love this movie, plain and simple.  Saw it awhile back on AMC for the first time and bought the widescreen DVD last summer.  It's a very surreal movie, many scenes are very dream-like, and the ending battle never shows how many of the characters die, only that say they've died.  Very late 60s music, but I liked it, and the casting is perfect, especially Lancaster, Patrick O'Neal, and my personal favorite in this one, Peter Falk as Sgt. Rossi, the soldier turned baker.

Best line overall is from Rossi.  "If we get caught, will they shoot us for wearing a German tank?" Grin

LOL, that's a classic line Ben Tyreen, among many other's!

Maj. Abraham Falconer: What do you see out there, Beckman?
Capt. Lionel Beckman: No Krauts yet!
Maj. Abraham Falconer: You never will. You're a dreamer, Beckman. They'll get you first!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:57:12 AM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21279
Special Features:
•High-definition remaster
•Original mono audio
• New interview with actor Tony Bill (2017, tbc mins)
•Archival Interview with author William Eastlake (1968, 30 mins)
• Original theatrical trailer
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by critic Brad Stevens, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
•AND More...
STREET DATE: JULY 24.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM