Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:51:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Premiere Screening of "newly restored" version at Miami film festival
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Premiere Screening of "newly restored" version at Miami film festival  (Read 17117 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »

Sounds like a fuckwit, anyway, I think we'll all just have to live with the various versions.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »

The evening began with this bozo (I'll give his IMDB page tomorrow since his name eludes me at the moment and his name is in print in my car), who is head of the reconstructionist department at Paramount, explaining that he was "surprised" that during their issue of "100 greatest Hollywood westerns" TIME neglected to mention OUATITW. Huh
What's the problem? OUATITW is a Hollywood western. Last time I checked, Paramount still had offices there . . . And of course, that's why the AFI includes West's film score in their Top 250.

On the other hand, if you're talking about that Italian film c'era una volta il west. . . .

Actually, I wondered if you might not be seeing a version with the trading post sequence left out (and all those other bits that went missing during the original American release), so feel fortunate that what you saw wasn't even shorter than it was. But can it be---there is no improvement with the colors? None at all? Then what was the point of this "restoration?"

Not that that guy would have probably have known, but one of your questions to him should have been: "When are we gonna get the Blu-ray?"

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 01:04:05 AM »

That's worse than I expected... Tongue

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:02:12 AM »

I'm not gonna touch this "how Leone intended it"-thing even with a long stick any more..

But the colors...I can't believe there's no change (I don't see any problem with the colors on the current DVD but if they said there's gonna be improvement and correction done...). I guess you have to see the two versions side by side to see the difference.

BTW, was this the first time you saw the movie on big screen? If it was, you can't say you wasted your money...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »

But the guy's an enthusiast, you gotta give him that. Grin Grin

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 10:48:19 AM »

"how Leone intended it"
Auteurist mumbo-jumbo.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 11:07:19 AM »

Auteurist mumbo-jumbo.
Grin

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 12:34:39 PM »

At least you got to see OUATITW on the big screen, Firecracker.  I've always wanted to see it in a theater, just like LoA because of the scope of the movie.  Any Leone movies for that matter with Charles Bronson's or Clint Eastwood's face plastered across a gigantic movie screen.  Too bad the dude was a real winner. Roll Eyes

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 02:05:37 PM »

Actually, I wondered if you might not be seeing a version with the trading post sequence left out (and all those other bits that went missing during the original American release), so feel fortunate that what you saw wasn't even shorter than it was. But can it be---there is no improvement with the colors? None at all? Then what was the point of this "restoration?"

Search me? I came home today and tried to see the difference with my dvd version. I just can't see it.
Perhaps movieselection is correct in thinking that the two versions are very similar and therefore need to be seen side by side to compare.

Not that that guy would have probably have known, but one of your questions to him should have been: "When are we gonna get the Blu-ray?"

To be honest I have no interest in that new format and am not planning to buy it but I did ask for a future dvd and one of the reconstructionist (not THE guy) said they "weren't certain".

And I am very grateful that I saw the picture on the big screen.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »

And I am very grateful that I saw the picture on the big screen.

Ah, right, that must have been great!

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »

Me: all the Leone films, first run, in 1968-1969.  Latest was Once/West in 1985 at cult film festival.  Also saw the Leone exhibit in L.A. and visited the Arch remnants in Utah.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »

Me: all the Leone films, first run, in 1968-1969.  Latest was Once/West in 1985 at cult film festival.  Also saw the Leone exhibit in L.A. and visited the Arch remnants in Utah.

You're my hero.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 07:52:02 PM »

Seconded.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »

But the guy's an enthusiast, you gotta give him that. Grin Grin
Also a serious supporter of mass transportation....

It's too bad your expectations on the restoration and any meaningful commentary from the Paramount representative were disappointed.   You're right, at least you had the opportunity to see a decent print of the film in a theater environment.  If anything positive comes from the restoration, hopefully it will screen around the country so people can have an opportunity to view it on the big screen.  I saw it at a university student theater; it wasn't the greatest  print.  But I got to see it on the big screen.  I hope I have another opportunity.  If they show it with a print of OUATIA, I'll bring some take out with me.  Throw in DYS, I'll also bring my robe and pillow and settle in for a day of big screen Leone.... Smiley 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:19:04 AM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 12:16:05 PM »

I'd love to see this version. It has me curious.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM