Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2018, 09:53:39 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  They Made Me A Fugitive (1947)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: They Made Me A Fugitive (1947)  ( 112 )
moorman
Bandido

« : June 17, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »

This is a FANTASTIC classic British movie.  Filmed on location in England ( Soho area), both the locations and cinematography really shine in this one.  Trevor Howard plays ex Royal Air Force veteran Clem Morgan.  Clem gets discharged and is drawn into a life of crime by joining a gang run by Narcy ( Griffith Jones).  Clem has a beautiful girlfriend named Ellie that Narcy has his eyes on.  Clem tells Ellie that he is gonna do one last job and quit the gang.  Narcy frames Clem during this job and Clem is sent to prison. Narcy hooks up with his girlfriend.  Clem breaks out of prison and the film really kicks into gear again.   I saw a very nice copy of this on Amazon Prime and I think I'm gonna get the Blu Ray or DVD.   The film is highly regarded as a underground English classic film noir that closely rivals anything Hollywood put out during that time period.  Here is a excellent review of the film:

https://www.criticsatlarge.ca/2017/09/neglected-gem-they-made-me-fugitive.html

« : June 17, 2018, 03:47:04 PM moorman »
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #1 : June 18, 2018, 02:57:34 AM »

That is a very good review of the film on your link. I haven't seen it yet. It seems to get ignored on UK TV channels. Hopefully a channel like Talking Pictures will get to show this one at some time.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : June 18, 2018, 03:31:30 AM »

Agree, It's a shame Cavalcanti only made one noir.

http://noirsville.blogspot.com/2015/08/they-made-me-fugitive-aka-i-became.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #3 : June 18, 2018, 05:58:29 AM »

That's a great series of pics from the film on your link CJ. I know Cavalcanti mostly for his contributions to the 'Dead of Night' omnibus. His 'Ventriloquist Dummy' sequence is the best part of that movie. I recognise the Aggie character played by Mary Merrall among the pics. She really creeps me out in an episode from 'The Avengers.' It's called 'The Girl From Auntie.' She could really play sinister as she did as the old woman in that episode. I agree with the reviewer on Moorman's link. She would have been great in 'The Ladykillers.'

moorman
Bandido

« #4 : June 18, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

That is a very good review of the film on your link. I haven't seen it yet. It seems to get ignored on UK TV channels. Hopefully a channel like Talking Pictures will get to show this one at some time.

If you have Amazon Prime you can watch it there.  The only other sources i saw are the Blu Ray and DVDs on Amazon...

moorman
Bandido

« #5 : June 18, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »

Agree, It's a shame Cavalcanti only made one noir.

http://noirsville.blogspot.com/2015/08/they-made-me-fugitive-aka-i-became.html

Excellent coverage of the film you gave.  Its a beautiful looking picture.  It IS a shame he only made one noir...

kjrwe
Gunslinger

« #6 : June 24, 2018, 11:36:15 PM »

I have vague memories of this one (saw it about 13 years ago). I'm sure it's one I liked.

Trevor Howard was terrific in "Green for Danger", by the way.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines