Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 05:02:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Andrei Rublev (1969)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andrei Rublev (1969)  (Read 2789 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »

I don't know if I have ever been this disappointed with a film in my entire life. I comprehend its message, an abstract portrayal of an artist lost in a bleak world, but it did absolutely nothing for me. This movie is more hollow than 2001, which makes the latter great and AR void of all life, emotion. It's almost an amalgamation of Bergman, Eisnenstein and Kurosawa that falls completely flat. Characters enter in and out of this film at will, without any characteristics or personality traits separating a genius artist from a peasant. When I watch a Tarkovsky film, I want to see Tarkovsky, not whatever this should be classified as.

The cinematography was great at times, very murky and clumsy at others. The score was good-ish but not properly used. I would call AR pretentious, but it doesn't even care enough about itself most of the time. The abstract form is nice in art, but has no place to dominate a 3hr plus narrative film. complete.waste.of.time. Is this first hour even necessary, better yet, was this film necessary? ugh! Maybe if I watch this again, I will praise it calling it a film shot and paced like the movement of a brush, but I highly doubt it. I am shocked that I despised this movie so much. Now, SLWB, tear me a new one.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

The 1966 version, which is 205 minutes long, is better.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »

I forced myself to watch it but didn't make it beyond 1\2 hour. I understand this is his masterpiece. Actually it must be: Nostalgia I couldn't make it beyond 5 minutes.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »

The 1966 version, which is 205 minutes long, is better.

I believe that's the version I watched. I will eventually give this another viewing...someday.

Grin Good one, titoli.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:16:04 AM »

AR probably is Tarkovsky's best film. I find Stalker, Nostalgia, The Sacrifice almost unwatchable. The others are enjoyable in parts, but AR is the one I can enjoy all the way through. I say that, though, having only watched it on video. The different segments make it possible to go through the thing in easy stages. I don't know if I could actually go into a cinema and watch the 205 minute version all in one go.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »

I don't know if I could actually go into a cinema and watch the 205 minute version all in one go.

You should starve yourself for 2-3 days and get there armed with a solid menu based on lasagna and assorted pasta, good sparkling wine and the rest. What a go that would be! You might even end up liking it and willing to try the experiment on Nostalgia.
With a different menu, though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »

You should starve yourself for 2-3 days and get there armed with a solid menu based on lasagna and assorted pasta, good sparkling wine and the rest. What a go that would be! You might even end up liking it and willing to try the experiment on Nostalgia.
With a different menu, though.
You can do this in Italian cinemas? I'm moving to Rome!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »

You can do this in Italian cinemas?

Only in the cinemas where AR is shown (none, in the last 30 years). Bon AppetitAfro

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 03:20:42 PM »

Andrey Rublyov (1966) Tarkovskiy's movies are famous all over as a surefire remedy against insomnia. But this movie is probably the only exception. It starts slowly but then it grips you and the last episode ("The Bell") is very moving. 8\10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »

Andrey Rublyov (1966) Tarkovskiy's movies are famous all over as a surefire remedy against insomnia. But this movie is probably the only exception. It starts slowly but then it grips you and the last episode ("The Bell") is very moving. 8\10
Yeah. Tarkovsky's one great film.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM