Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:56:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Johnny Guitar (1954)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Guitar (1954)  (Read 19751 times)
CISCO
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 05:42:46 PM »

I enjoyed watching the various quotes that Leone used otherwise it was a little overly melodramatic and the sets looked a bit cheap. Mercedes McCambridge & Joan Crawford were pretty bizzare characters.
miss crawford & mercedes got into it. miss crawford put all of mercedes' costumes in the trunk of her car and spread them over a 40 miles off a backroad slowing down production. yesh ! queen of the bitchslap  Evil

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 05:52:38 PM »

great story  Smiley

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 12:08:39 PM »

Is Johnny Guitar available anywhere? I want a copy of this bad!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Tim
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »

Is Johnny Guitar available anywhere? I want a copy of this bad!

Sorry, Tucumcari, I don't think its available, but try ebay for a vendor if you're hard up.  I checked over at TCM's website, Johnny Guitar isn't scheduled in the next couple of months, but it has received a large number of votes, 389, and is ranked 69 overall so maybe this will be up for one of those Warner's "You Choose the DVD" selections.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 12:17:10 PM »

If you want I can send you a copy. I taped it off AMC a few years ago, and it has commercials, but you can skip those.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 01:39:45 PM »

Thanks a lot Tim and Peacemaker, but I'll just wait for a release somewhere down the road. I could see your taped copy Peacemaker but I hate commericals during a movie if you know what I mean. I appreciate it though!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 02:52:24 PM »

.......THE MUSICAL!!!!!

This is not a joke BTW:
http://www.johnnyguitarthemusical.com/

I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across this.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »

Uh, thanks for finding that (I think)........ Undecided

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 01:04:47 PM »

Uh, thanks for finding that (I think)........ Undecided

I just posted it because it looks so pathetic.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 05:35:34 AM »

According to somebody on the IMDB it's actually a decent show. . . though I can't say I'm too excited about it.  Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »

What's the hold up here of the Region 1 DVD release! I want to see this.  Angry

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 02:55:03 PM »

I remember this was shown in a film school class but i fell asleep soon after it started (screening rooms are a great place to catch up on zzzzzzzzzzzz's)Smiley
just watched a tape of the AMC showing.

Now i know why this a favorite of gay men. The relationships all seem to have a homo-erotic subtext:
- Dancin' Kid seems more concerned for Turkey than just a 'friend/gang member" winwink nudgenudge
- Emma seems to be acting out a jealous lesbian rage. I think the real reason she hates Crawford so much is because she loves men.

Am I being too freudian here?
dunno.

btw they did do location shooting along with the sets. more than a Hitchcock film at least

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »

About the movie... Did you like it?

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »

Blu-ray in August: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0082LUGPI/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B0082LUGPI&creative=373489&camp=211189

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 03:58:35 AM »

This is one of the worst Westerns ever made 0/10

I was just watching the commentary on OUATITW. Seems like Johnny Guitar was one of the biggest references for the "quotations" of Westerns in OUATITW. Frayling says that Leone specifically said that Harmonica's harmonica is a reference to Johnny's guitar.

I don't know what the hell Leone, Bertolucci, et al. saw in Johnny Guitar, which has to be one of the worst Westerns I have ever seen. (Roger Ebert put it in his Great Movies list http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080508/REVIEWS08/650962984/1023 )
 I saw it once, a while ago, when it played on TCM. So far as I know, there is no Region 1 dvd of it; it's available cheaply on eBay on one of those Korean dvd's (region-free NTSC, English with optional Korean subtitles), but no proper Region 1 dvd release.

I recall liking 3 things: A) the gang's hideout was a nice set; B) Ernest Borgnine is always fun; and C) there is one funny shot of Crawford playing her piano in the saloon with the candles, you never see that in a Western, it's almost surreal. That's it. Other than those minor points, this movie was painful to watch.

You can talk about the symbolism, McCarthyism, the queer innuendo, whatever you want to.  This movie is awful from beginning to end.
But it did produce one great line someone said about it: It's Beauty and the Beast... with Sterling Hayden as Beauty Grin Grin Grin
(As for the authorship of that line: Ebert cites critic Dennic Schwartz who attributes that line to Francois Truffaut; while in the bottom paragraph of the movie's page on  TCM's website, while discussing the film's popularity, it simply quotes Truffaut as saying the movie  is Beauty and the Beast of Westerns -- as a means of demonstrating the high esteem it is held in --  but without the punchline. Well, whoever it was that said it, it is a damn funny line).

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:38:53 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM