Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:45:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Waterhole #3 (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waterhole #3 (1967)  (Read 2778 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:33:05 PM »

Picked this DVD up cheap (only way to go) has some fun sequences but its mostly a comedy western with Coburn, Carrol O'Connor, Bruce Dern, Joan Blondel. Bruce Dern, Claude Akins.

Its a film directed by Blake Edwards, so you can kind of get an idea from that whats its like. It shows some SW influence ie., There is a sequnce near the beginning where card sharp Lewton Cole (Coburn) is playing Three Card Monte when he gets into an altercation with another patron over money owed. Cole sees the secret map thats drawn on a money bill that shows the loction of a cash box of gold bullion and the the author of the map subsequently calls him to a dule at sundown.

So sundown arrives and the guy is yelling in the street for Coburn to come out, calling him yellow etc., so Coburn has a last drink at the bar and calmly walks over to his horse on the side opposite the would be duler. Coburn pulls out his Winchester steadys it over the top of his saddle and blows the guy standing in  the street away, very SW feel tothat part of it.

From there its all pretty much down hill, and though it has funny moments its very "politically incorrect", has Coburn basically raping Sherrif Copperud's (O'Connor) daughter, and she at first fights but then ends up liking it. Plus add the fact that its all OK with O'Connor.

Soundtrack is sung by Roger Miller.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 03:47:03 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:42:43 PM »

I thought that it might have some potential...as it hung together somewhat at the beginning...in spite of an annoying running musical commentary by Roger Miller every 10 minutes or so  Angry...what a lamebrain idea that was.
Then it descended into pretty much complete farce & lost my interest.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:05:25 PM »

agreed  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
CISCO
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »

i agree to.  except the cracked actor timothy cary pops up. http://www.filmlinc.com/fcm/1-2-2004/carey.htm   Tongue

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 06:40:15 PM »

Strangely they released the dvd in Italy too. So I saw it for the first time. I don't think this was ever on tv. I am less critic towards it. Sure, at the beginning it shows the potential to be great and after the prison scene goes downhill. But still it is visually very attractive, the Roger Miller snippets add some zest to the narration the girl is pretty, Coburn and Carey great and the whole is rarely boring. So I give it a 6\10.

The director is not Blake Edwards, who was just the producer.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM