Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 05:56:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ulzana's Raid
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ulzana's Raid  (Read 1513 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:56:59 PM »

One of the best american westerns ever. 9\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:52:26 AM »

That's what I've heard, it would be nice to have it released on DVD again its out of print currently.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »

Yep, and the original release sells for big bucks at amazon. I found my used copy at a flea market a couple of weeks ago and was not enthusiast about shelling 5 euros for it but even the region 2 seems to be a rarity at the moment. Probably there will be a blu ray in the making. And this would be one of the movies worth the crossover.

It is interesting to note what  Garfield says about this. He praise it but also says it's "arty" (leaving out the "farty", but implying it) and that it wants to convey too many messages. I saw this a couple of times before on italian public tv  (version  is the same as the dvd, if I am not mistaken) and never noticed these two aspects and the example he brings is off the mark. Garfield also criticizes the actor playing the greenhorn lieutenant whom I find very good (the main actors are all outstanding in this, even Jeckel whom I usually can't stand). He is really prejudiced, not only against SW.

What I don't like is the actors playing the couple of homesteaders, expecially the woman (who mars maybe the best scene of the movie) that's why I can't hail perfection. But it is a minor point. 

It is interesting to note that some scenes were shot for the european market but apparently they are available only on a recording from german tv. They can be seen at youtube.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:15:46 AM by titoli » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »

Two versions of Ulzana's Raid were prepared.

One by Aldrich for the USA and one by Lancaster for Europe. Both have the same runtime of 103 min but contain different scenes.

In the 80s a german TV station cut all the scenes of both versions together and prepared thereby a 112 min version, sort of a non-director's cut.

This version got later also a VHS release, but there's no DVD until today.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »

What about this?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM