Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 12:38:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Michael Clayton (2007)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Michael Clayton (2007)  (Read 2902 times)
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:29:38 PM »

Finally got around to seeing this movie this weekend.  I haven't seen the other Best Picture nominees so I can't compare, but Michael Clayton was a very good movie.  It was well-made, the story was never spelled out for you just so, and the cast was perfect.  George Clooney is the lead as MC and shows once again that he can act instead of just having fun in the Ocean's movies.  Tilda Swinton was good although I didn't think her performance was Oscar worthy.  Tom Wilkinson might have won any other year for his role as a lawyer who is fed up with defending the bad guys and cracks up.  And Sydney Pollack is excellent as always in a supporting role.

Still want to see the other Best Picture nominees, but I've gotta say I was impressed with this one.  So with all the buzz I've heard about the other ones, it seems like a really strong year for BP nominated films. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:55:49 AM »

I haven't seen it. I'm starting to avoid all lawyer pics, Iraq/Iran/Middle East based fims in general, all fantasy flics, all comedies, I can wait and catch them on the small screen, if at all.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »

I haven't seen it. I'm starting to avoid all lawyer pics, Iraq/Iran/Middle East based fims in general, all fantasy flics, all comedies, I can wait and catch them on the small screen, if at all.
Seconded.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »

I saw it on DVD, not in theaters.  And if it helps, it's an above average lawyer movie. Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »

Good for you. This movie has been done five times already, and better.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 04:30:58 PM »

Michael Clayton (George Clooney) is Mr. Fix-It for his law firm, Kenner, Back and Odeen. A former District Attorney, Clayton uses his contacts in the police and the criminal justice system to bail out the firm's wealthy corporate clients. When one of the firm's senior partners, Arthur Edens (Tom Wilkinsen), has a nervous breakdown while taking a deposition in a lawsuit against a major agrochemicals company, Clayton is dispatched to bring him home. What Clayton soon learns is Edens not only has doubts about defending the lawsuit but that the company may be acting on its own to ensure a positive outcome.

Let me first start off by saying I was wrong in regards to this film. I'll be honest. The first time I viewed this film, I was in a room full of people who were talking and fooling around at times so I didn't get the full effect of the movie. Also, as some of you know, I'm not that fond of George Clooney so I had biased opinion's about the film before I even viewed it which isn't fair at all I must admit.

That being said, I sat down and watched "Michael Clayton" in it's entirety last night, ALONE, the way you should with such a film of this caliber. The film is intelligent and complex as it develops from scene to scene. Even in the quietest and subtlest moments, the tension is so great. This is an exceptional character study and George Clooney gives a raw and powerful performance, one of his best till this date.

This film has a 1970's quality to it, a decade of film I absolutely love. Thriller's today are not as great as yester-year, and this took a trip down memory lane for me.

"Michael Clayton" is definitely, without a doubt one of the best films of 2007. One note though. I do not think Tilda Swinton deserved the Academy Award. I thought she was wonderful, no doubt but I thought there wasn't enough from her character to gain a nomination. It's just my opinion.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »

I said at the time I saw it that it was my favorite of the Best Picture nominees, but thinking back on it, it was probably just me being snarky; after giving it some thought I might even say it was the worst, aside from the inspid, hideously overrated Juno. I'm not really a fan of No Country and Atonement, but they at least had some undeniably strong and original elements, and were on the whole good films with flaws instead of flawed films with good bits. Even TWBB had a great performance by Daniel Day-Lewis and gorgeous cinematography to commend it. Michael Clayton has none of that. It's a completely generic, by-the-numbers thriller with no elements or twists that haven't been done by sixty-five-thousand other films. Evil corporations, lawyers, cover-ups, amoral protagonists, crazy informant who turns out to be right (and is murdered in a way that looks like a suicide), fucking car bombs... I mean, what else applies but been there, done that? It's reasonably entertaining for what it is, and Wilkinson and Swinton give strong supporting performances, but it's completely unmemorable, unoriginal, and vapid. Technical aspects are competent but nothing really worthy of note. The very fact that it was nominated for a Best Picture is a head-scratcher. 6, or if I'm very generous a 7/10.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »

I said at the time I saw it that it was my favorite of the Best Picture nominees, but thinking back on it, it was probably just me being snarky; after giving it some thought I might even say it was the worst, aside from the inspid, hideously overrated Juno. I'm not really a fan of No Country and Atonement, but they at least had some undeniably strong and original elements, and were on the whole good films with flaws instead of flawed films with good bits. Even TWBB had a great performance by Daniel Day-Lewis and gorgeous cinematography to commend it. Michael Clayton has none of that. It's a completely generic, by-the-numbers thriller with no elements or twists that haven't been done by sixty-five-thousand other films. Evil corporations, lawyers, cover-ups, amoral protagonists, crazy informant who turns out to be right (and is murdered in a way that looks like a suicide), fucking car bombs... I mean, what else applies but been there, done that? It's reasonably entertaining for what it is, and Wilkinson and Swinton give strong supporting performances, but it's completely unmemorable, unoriginal, and vapid. Technical aspects are competent but nothing really worthy of note. The very fact that it was nominated for a Best Picture is a head-scratcher. 6, or if I'm very generous a 7/10.

I don't think you could be more wrong. I didn't think this was all that generic. From some of the stupid, no substance, cliched-thrillers I see nowadays, this was far better. Not every film has to have a "twist" for it to work. I loved the film for it's acting, smart camera work, and a great musical score by James Newton Howard. The standout performance for me came from Tom Wilkinsen who's voice-over in the opening moments of the film sucks you in and never lets go. I think you had it right the first time Groggy.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:26:39 PM »

I only gave it a 7/10 the first time, I just said I prefered it to No Country, TWBB, Juno and Atonement. An opinion which I've since reversed. I never said anything about a twist, unless you're quoting me out of context.

I believe DJ agrees with me, for what that's worth. Grin

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »

I only gave it a 7/10 the first time, I just said I prefered it to No Country, TWBB, Juno and Atonement. An opinion which I've since reversed. I never said anything about a twist, unless you're quoting me out of context.

I believe DJ agrees with me, for what that's worth. Grin

lol, yeah I'm sure DJ does agree with you. I think I did take that twist comment out of context. Sorry about that. Hey, as all films, we can't always agree. This is one where I like a bit more than you my friend.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM