Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:44:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Aces 'N' Eights (2008)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aces 'N' Eights (2008)  (Read 3927 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »

New western with Ernest Borgnine gonna be on Ion TV, looks spaghettish.

http://imdb.com/title/tt1087828/

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 05:42:37 AM »

Ernest Borgnine ROCKS!  Afro

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:06:05 AM »

It's actually, a western with Casper Van Dien. Undecided

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »

It's actually, a western with Casper Van Dien. Undecided

That dude from Starship Troopers? Huh

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »

That dude from Starship Troopers? Huh

Yeah. Undecided

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »

I just finished watching this and I've got to say, I was pleasantly surprised.  Not groundbreaking stuff, but it was pretty entertaining for a made-for-TV western.  The storyline is somewhat derivative of OUATITW with the railroad moving in and trying to push the landowners off so the tracks can continue to grow.  The villain is basically Fonda's Frank and just as evil, killing men, women and children with some rather nasty methods.

Cast was good across the board, Casper Van Diem plays Luke Rivers, a gunman trying to forget his past by putting away his guns and working as a cowboy for Ernest Borgnine's Thurmond Prescott, a landowner who refuses to move off the land.  Borgnine, still going strong at 91, is and always will be cool and brings some credibility to the movie.  Jeff Kober is Tate, the Frank-esque villain, and was very good along with his two henchmen.  My favorite though was Bruce Boxleitner as DC Cracker (another awesome western name), a gunman who rode with Rivers in the past and now finds himself wondering if he's in the right.

A couple nods to spaghettis, most notably CVD donning a poncho for the last gunfight.  The gunfights were well choreographed, especially a shootout in a saloon that happens in the matter of two or three seconds, much like a real gunfight would have been like I imagine.  And being trained by watching spaghettis, Aces 'n Eights had a real chance to go for a downbeat ending, REALLY downbeat, but decided to add on a bit of a happy, neat Hollywood ending.  Still, it's worth watching I thought.  The ION network is reshowing it a bunch of times as well so look out for it.

Very much so pleasantly surprised with this western, I'll say 6.5/10. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »

I'll have to catch it, just saw the previews.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »

Watching this as I type two style things I'm noticing right off the bat is the shaky cam and the framing . Seems like even the non action sequences have the  image bouncing about. The framing seems off, especially during the confrontation at the barbed wire fence don't know exactly what they were trying for, heads are cut off right above the eyes.

The 4:3 aspect ratio sort of gives it all a Pan & Scan look but that's what its shot in as when I toggle ovre to the 16:9 everything looks squashed. It's wierd because all the spots for comming attraction films are in widescreen.

*note to prop man/art director, WTF is up with the flimsy looking square fence posts?HuhHuh   More proof the Western is almost dead! I think these guys have no grounding in reality anymore, all they are doing is trying to approximate a look, without actually knowing what they are doing. You mean to tell me they couldn't find a real stretch of barbed wire fence??, lol

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:08:25 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM