Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 04:36:43 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Red River (1948)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red River (1948)  (Read 21426 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »

Yep, it's pretty good. I especially like the scene after the funeral where the shadow from off-screen clouds moves across the background hills. Hawks was some kind of director, no? He could even direct meteorological phenomena.

Now if he'd only kept his hands off the woman I love, I wouldn't now have to curse his memory.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »

Ok.  Saw this movie. I was impressed.  Lets get into it:

1. Cinematography. I love black and white westerns.  The look and feel was on point.  The set pieces did what they had to do.

2. Characters.  Everybody was on point. I couldn't have asked for more. Brennan did a excellent job.

3. The script.  Loved it. I know. I know. That ending is controversial.  Personally, i think that when Dunson killed Cherry, THAT was the ending that people longed for.  Remember, it was Cherry that hyped Matthew up to take over the herd in the first place.  The female character and the love plot.  It wasn't too overboard, like My Darling Clementine, so it didn't take away from the movie for me.  The massive number of cattle on display was impressive.

4. Music Score.  Not bad, not anything that jumps out at you. Just OK...

I really liked this movie.  I rate it a 8/10...

I do not believe Dunson kills Cherry; I think he only wouds him.

Score IMO is one of the greatest ever

Ending is terrible; other than that this is one of the greatest AW's of all time.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:58:37 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »

I could've sworn this was a John Ford film.  I had it rated as one of my top four John Ford films, lol.  Well, i'm down to Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as my personal Ford favorite westerns.  I gotta look more into Howard Hawks...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »

I could've sworn this was a John Ford film.  I had it rated as one of my top four John Ford films, lol.  Well, i'm down to Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance as my personal Ford favorite westerns.  I gotta look more into Howard Hawks...

Another great Hawks western is Rio Bravo.

Another great Ford western is Fort Apache. Also watch She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, a good Ford western in glorious Technicolor. Winton Hoch won Oscar for best cinematography. Wayne was nominated for Best Actor.,Make sure to watch the blu-ray. Looks spectacular   Afro

Enjoy!

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM