Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:39:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Deserter (1970)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Deserter (1970)  (Read 1342 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:20:22 AM »

I saw this in a theatre and liked it very much, for the wrong reasons. Plotwise it has little originality and maybe Fehmiu is not the best lead you could think of: but he was a star in Europe at the time because of his Odissey and his face captures the screen. You wonder though how could he ever beat poor Strode in a fight, being about his half-size. Still you take a look at the cast and the production values (De Laurentiis never failed in this regard) and you understand that there's no need for much inventive script-writing to have a good movie. Which it is. At the time, if I remember well, it was a success in Italy, probably even because of its title(The Devil's Backbone), much better than the english quite lame one . 
I would like to watch a better copy and in english (I managed to see an old italian vhs copy)  and maybe I wouild like it even more. Huston, though dubbed as he is, delivers a great  performance: I confess that I like him more as an actor than as director. The OST is awful: a great minus that makes me wonder if it was really Piccioni who wrote it, as amateurish as can be. I would could made something better. Cool 8\10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen it, there is an Australian DVD though.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

Never saw it, 'always was afraid of it. Can't think of one single Euro western I really liked, SOLEIL ROUGE maybe..
A friend of mine knew Bekim. We planned write a part for him in our next feature project, but then he sadly passed away last year.

I also never saw THE ADVENTURER.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:17:42 PM by mike siegel » Logged

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:54:29 AM »

I think it is a US western shot in Spain (instead of Mexico).
Kennedy is mostly a weak action director, and it shows in this one too. The last battle is weak. As is most of the 2nd half.

But there is some good stuff in the first half and Fehmiu is a good lead imo. 5/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:33 AM »

I think it is a US western shot in Spain (instead of Mexico).
Kennedy is mostly a weak action director, and it shows in this one too. The last battle is weak. As is most of the 2nd half.

But there is some good stuff in the first half and Fehmiu is a good lead imo. 5/10

This is mostly based on face to face confrontations. I think they are the best part of the movie, though sometimes with cheesy dialogues. That's why I would like to watch an undubbed print. 

Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »

I never managed to find a decent copy and watch it all the way through.

Amazon has the region 2:

http://www.amazon.com/Deserter-dorsale-diavolo-Djavolja-NON-USA/dp/B000EIU8DM/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1322542712&sr=1-1

Has anybody seen it?
Does anyone know if this edition is widescreen, anamorphic, and uncut?

Richard

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TzKRqrVmZQ

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »

I would like to see this, not heard of it before.

Nice one tito   Afro

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »

Just watched the Pan & Scan Youtube version, it was actually very good and I wonder why it was never in serious rotation on US TV, reminded me of a lesser The Professionals with a surprisingly great cast. Bekim Fehmiu, Richard Crenna, Chuck Connors, Ricardo Montalban, Ian Bannen, Brandon De Wilde, Slim Pickens,    Woody Strode, Albert Salmi, and Patrick Wayne.

I'd like to see it with a better print. Taking place during the Apache Indian campaigns there wasn't anything anachronistic that I noticed and the Natives were quite convincing, nice locations also. Agree that the OST wasn't much. Worth checking out. 8/10

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:04:46 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 09:59:10 AM »

with a surprisingly great cast. Bekim Fehmiu, Richard Crenna, Chuck Connors, Ricardo Montalban, Ian Bannen, Brandon De Wilde, Slim Pickens,    Woody Strode, Albert Salmi, and Patrick Wayne.

You weren't impressed by Hustom, were you?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »

You weren't impressed by Hustom, were you?

He was good also just forgot to list him.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 04:13:44 AM »

The only part of the film that was a bit far fetched was the rope bridge, in that type of country finding that much wood for the bridge would be problematic. It would have been more reasonable for them to set up another pulley system on a rope cable and just pull the horses across the chasm.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM