Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:13:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  High Noon (1952)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Noon (1952)  (Read 25641 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 12:12:48 PM »

3:10 isn't made better by pointing to the flaws of High Noon. Both films have their problems, which is why I prefer other Westerns that a) have fewer problems; or b) hide their story logic inconsistencies better.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »

I think High Noon is a serious contender for best AM ever. I don't like Grace Kelly's role with all that religious crap which I always hated and which doesn't help make the character credible. And yes, the casting for the main villain could have gone farther (of course, it would have been enough to change roles between him and LVC. It is easy to say it after 1965, but still I think it is incredible that nobody perceived that at the time). But there are few westerns better cast than this and, anyway, once you have Cooper cast in his life's role yolu're half way there. I saw it some months ago and found it better than ever. It is the first western I saw on TV, even before Stagecoach and it has grown constantly in my consideration. Gonna rewatch it soon as I bought the SE some months ago.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »

I think High Noon is a serious contender for best AM ever. I don't like Grace Kelly's role with all that religious crap which I always hated and which doesn't help make the character credible. And yes, the casting for the main villain could have gone farther (of course, it would have been enough to change roles between him and LVC. It is easy to say it after 1965, but still I think it is incredible that nobody perceived that at the time). But there are few westerns better cast than this and, anyway, once you have Cooper cast in his life's role yolu're half way there. I saw it some months ago and found it better than ever. It is the first western I saw on TV, even before Stagecoach and it has grown constantly in my consideration. Gonna rewatch it soon as I bought the SE some months ago.

I do agree with your opinion titoli that it contends with the best american western of all time title. I for one think it's The Searchers, but you do have a strong argument here. This film is masterful in how it plays out, almost perfectly. I do agree that LVC should have played the main villain. But, on the other hand, I loved his character opening up the film. It was cool to see LVC here doing so.

I don't agree with you when it comes to Grace Kelly's character. I wouldn't call her religious undertone's crap by no means. What is wrong with that? I thought it fit her character perfectly. Grace was wonderful in the role.

Other than that titoli, I'm in agreement with you. This is a great film.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2007, 07:47:16 PM »

What I don't like about her character it is that it's incredible: with all those prejudices getting married to a Sheriff, a man of action? They wanted to create a divided character, constantly in tension with herself and her man, creating suspense about her final resolve. But the premise was too far-out.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 08:57:58 PM »

To say nothing of her final actions. A terrible character in every respect.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »

T_B You are still flogging a dead horse:

Ok, then what do you call the end of HIGH NOON? You have Frank Miller and his gang, four all together against one, the Marshal Will Kane. On more than one occasion, Marshal Will is out in the open, and Frank Miller and his Gang fire countless times at close range and miss.

In 3:10 they show Wades gang as being exceptional shots shooting at a moving stage thats firing back at them with a Gatling gun. There was no depiction of Millers gang as being crack shots.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »

T_B You are still flogging a dead horse:

In 3:10 they show Wades gang as being exceptional shots shooting at a moving stage thats firing back at them with a Gatling gun. There was no depiction of Millers gang as being crack shots.

You're the one flogging a dead horse. I'm just seeing what I saw. Miller's gang should have hit the Marshall. He was out in the open, in broad daylight. This was even far more ridiculous than in the 3:10 to Yuma remake, where at least they were running away between buildings.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
mal247
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 03:13:04 AM »

Thanks TB for your review of High Noon (it may be on another thread).  Long time since I saw this but I have fond memories.  Has prompted me to get permanent copies of High Noon, The Searchers and Unforgiven.

Smiley

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:19:10 AM by shades » Logged
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2007, 08:05:22 AM »

Thanks TB for your review of High Noon (it may be on another thread).  Long time since I saw this but I have fond memories.  Has prompted me to get permanent copies of High Noon, The Searchers and Unforgiven.

Smiley

Hey shades! It's no problem my friend, happy to write the review. You should watch High Noon as soon as you can again! Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 06:42:36 PM »

I'm just seeing what I saw. Miller's gang should have hit the Marshall. He was out in the open, in broad daylight. This was even far more ridiculous than in the 3:10 to Yuma remake, where at least they were running away between buildings.

Sorry, no amount of you flappin your mouth or typing your opinions is gonna change a stupid film. It could have had all the great action and have been intelligent too.

If we let this BS pass and not criticsize it we can just expect more outlandish BS in future Westerns.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 07:50:55 PM »

Sorry, no amount of you flappin your mouth or typing your opinions is gonna change a stupid film. It could have had all the great action and have been intelligent too.

If we let this BS pass and not criticsize it we can just expect more outlandish BS in future Westerns.

Sorry cigar, but no matter how much you preach your defied logic redrick, you won't change the opinion's of many who thought the film was great, period.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »

I have to wonder, TB, about the number of Westerns you've seen. If you've only seen 10, then yeah, maybe, HN comes off looking pretty good. I can't believe, however, you can come up with a list of the 50 best Westerns (no SWs) that would put HN on top. But go ahead and prove me wrong . . .

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »

I have to wonder, TB, about the number of Westerns you've seen. If you've only seen 10, then yeah, maybe, HN comes off looking pretty good. I can't believe, however, you can come up with a list of the 50 best Westerns (no SWs) that would put HN on top. But go ahead and prove me wrong . . .

Why are you criticizing me for liking HIGH NOON jenkins? It's only considered by many as one of the greatest American films ever made? And now you're judging me on my taste in film for liking it? HA! What a joke.

I've seen countless western films, and yes, HIGH NOON is up there with the best. If you think there's something wrong with my opinion, then so be it.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 08:57:30 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 08:55:33 PM »

How about if you list a few American westerns you find better than High Noon, DJ? There can't be too many of 'em.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »

How about if you list a few American westerns you find better than High Noon, DJ? There can't be too many of 'em.
I dislike HN so much that just about every A-list Western comes before it on my list. I even put The Searchers higher than HN, and you may know how I feel about The Searchers. All the Fords (though maybe not Cheyenne Autumn), Hawkses, Daveses, Manns, Dmytryks, Hathaways, Kings, and of course Peckinpahs come before HN. High Noon has its good points (Cooper, the mounting suspense), but those are outweighed by its deficient plot, ridiculous female characters, awful music, and annoying didacticism.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM