Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2021, 07:19:38 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  High Noon (1952)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
: High Noon (1952)  ( 54112 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #90 : February 02, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »

A lot of people i've found out, don't like the fact that the Marshall had to go around and ask the townsfolk for help.  A lot of folks don't like the fact that the Marshall was afraid.
Only one "L" in Marshal. Sorry to come off pedantic, but my father, a retired Deputy U.S. Marshal, would want me to speak up on the matter.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #91 : February 02, 2017, 08:12:02 AM »

I liked that Van Cleef was first face in the film, that he played a harmonica, and never said a single word.

I feel Cooper was way too old for the part, and too old for Grace Kelly.

I didn't like Katy Jurado.

We were told in film class - might be true - that pre-screenings of this film were a flop; then the clock stuff and the music/lyrics beefed up.  I liked the build up of the music where it ends with the train whistle.

Waiting a while, or a day, for the train was likely commonplace back then.  Nowadays folks get peeved when a flight is 10 minutes late.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #92 : February 02, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »

I liked that Van Cleef was first face in the film, that he played a harmonica, and never said a single word.

I feel Cooper was way too old for the part, and too old for Grace Kelly.

I didn't like Katy Jurado.

We were told in film class - might be true - that pre-screenings of this film were a flop; then the clock stuff and the music/lyrics beefed up.  I liked the build up of the music where it ends with the train whistle.

Waiting a while, or a day, for the train was likely commonplace back then.  Nowadays folks get peeved when a flight is 10 minutes late.

I like Katy Jurado. All the performances are good - just about the only thing I like about this movie

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #93 : February 02, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »

I like Katy Jurado. All the performances are good - just about the only thing I like about this movie

Come on, Zinemann's directing and the photography and the editing and the score are excellent. And the action scenes belong to the best in 50s films.

It's funny that Zinnemann and Stevens are better in that regard than most if not all of the Hollywood professionals.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #94 : February 02, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »

Come on, Zinemann's directing and the photography and the editing and the score are excellent. And the action scenes belong to the best in 50s films.

It's funny that Zinnemann and Stevens are better in that regard than most if not all of the Hollywood professionals.

the story doesn't interest me at all

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Moorman

« #95 : February 03, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »

One of the best movies ever. The simplicity of it is the brilliant part...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #96 : February 03, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »

a guy running around and around looking for help. blah blah blah  ::)

Moorman

« #97 : February 03, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »

Exactly. Beautiful picture. I can't wait to get the Blu Ray version...

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #98 : February 03, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »

the story doesn't interest me at all

Your fault.
It's not the stories which films tell, which makes films great, but how they tell these stories.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #99 : February 03, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »

some guys sitting around and not looking for help. blah blah blah  ::)

Moorman

« #100 : February 03, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences disagrees.  Cooper won best actor award...

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #101 : February 03, 2017, 06:44:58 PM »

We were told in film class - might be true - that pre-screenings of this film were a flop; then the clock stuff and the music/lyrics beefed up.

You mean that whole clock thing was a lot shorter in the pre-screenings?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #102 : February 21, 2017, 05:46:05 PM »

I heard an interview with the author on NPR today. I had no idea that it was an allegory for the McCarthy Blacklist:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Noon-Hollywood-Blacklist-American/dp/1620409488/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1487724244&sr=1-1

Moorman

« #103 : February 22, 2017, 05:44:07 AM »

High Noon is a masterpiece. I can't wait to get the Blu Ray of this movie...

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #104 : February 22, 2017, 07:27:05 PM »

My awesome wife came home today with the book as a gift for me! She had separately been listening to the NPR interview and thought I would like it :)

: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines