Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2021, 11:19:49 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  High Noon (1952)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
: High Noon (1952)  ( 54177 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #75 : June 23, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »

That's an excellent article, thanks, Grogs. For some odd reason, I don't think I've read it before.

I found this bit particularly illuminating:
The film theorists in Professor Stephen Mamber's class were impressed by the use of clocks: the filmmakers experimented with the notion of making the film play in real time. In one screening we clocked the clocks, so to speak, and they did indeed stay within a couple of minutes of where our clock did. So many are built into dialogue scenes that they had to be part of the original structure during shooting, and not an editorial trick imposed later in post-production, an oft repeated apocryphal claim.

In OUATITW, the use of clock images in Frank's Flagstone street walk must be an ironic comment by Leone on the non-necessity to adhere to real time when constructing a scene; in fact, cinematic time is superior to real time.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #76 : June 23, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »

O0

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #77 : October 26, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »

so I was in the library and saw the High Noon dvd, borrowed it, and now I have finally seen it for the second time. The first time I saw it, I didn't really like it, I just didn't think it was very interesting, watching a man running around and around asking for help. Juts didn't think it was an interesting story; it was I think the 2nd or 3rd AW I had ever watched, (it was about 4 years ago), I was clueless about anything to do with politics, HUAAC, John Wayne, Howard Hawkes, Rio Bravo, or any of that shit. I simply watched it as a movie and found it boring.

During the past 4 years, I of course learned about all that stuff, and now that I watched it for the second time, there was no way I could ignore it. (Knowing too much about a movie's backstory and history is NOT a good way for judging it fairly and honestly; you can try ignoring it all but there's no way). I first watched the second disc of bonus features -- (its sometimes interesting to have stuff pointed out beforehand eg. about filming techniques, and the watch the movie and notice it). Then I finally watched the movie....

My feelings basically are that this can only really be enjoyed and understood with the political backstory. This is a simple morality tale. This is not really a Western, ie. it could have happened anywhere. Maybe they chose the Western as a medium of expressing their disillusionment with HUAAC cuz they figured nobody would suspect that, I don't know. But this movie cannot be enjoyed that much as a straight-up Western without understanding the backstory.

In the Rio Bravo thread, we've already discussed many of the comparisons, and I am not going to repeat here anything I've already said. But I will say this, if you are comparing movies: RB is a far better movie, and RB can be enjoyed and loved even if you have no idea about the fact that it is a response to HN; it can be enjoyed as a Western story, plain and simple. But I don't think HN can be enjoyed very much without understanding the politics behind it. If you are just watching it as a movie, what's so interesting about seeing a guy running around and aropund asking for help? Is that the western hero we want to see? is that an interesting story? how the town are a bunch of sissies, how he has to take care of it all himself, and then basically spits on the town and gets the fuck out of there?

HN is certainly not terrible. It's enjoyable when you understand its politics.  But it's nowhere near the list of all-time greatest AW's. RB is in the discussion for the top of that list.

btw, I think Katy Jurado is the most interesting character in that movie. The strong woman with the questionable past, who does what it takes to help herself in life without waiting for any knight in shining armor to come along, and is really portrayed positively, I just loved her character. Certainly not the kind of thing you see in many Westerns.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #78 : October 26, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »

My feelings basically are that this can only really be enjoyed and understood with the political backstory. This is a simple morality tale. This is not really a Western, ie. it could have happened anywhere.
I believe the Great Jenkins has called the film A Civics Lesson Disguised As a Western. On another occasion: A Western For People Who Don't Like Westerns. In any case, if you're looking for a genre buzz, look elsewhere.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #79 : October 27, 2012, 01:16:03 AM »

so I was in the library and saw the High Noon dvd, borrowed it, and now I have finally seen it for the second time. The first time I saw it, I didn't really like it, I just didn't think it was very interesting, watching a man running around and around asking for help. Juts didn't think it was an interesting story; it was I think the 2nd or 3rd AW I had ever watched, (it was about 4 years ago), I was clueless about anything to do with politics, HUAAC, John Wayne, Howard Hawkes, Rio Bravo, or any of that shit. I simply watched it as a movie and found it boring.

During the past 4 years, I of course learned about all that stuff, and now that I watched it for the second time, there was no way I could ignore it. (Knowing too much about a movie's backstory and history is NOT a good way for judging it fairly and honestly; you can try ignoring it all but there's no way). I first watched the second disc of bonus features -- (its sometimes interesting to have stuff pointed out beforehand eg. about filming techniques, and the watch the movie and notice it). Then I finally watched the movie....

My feelings basically are that this can only really be enjoyed and understood with the political backstory. This is a simple morality tale. This is not really a Western, ie. it could have happened anywhere. Maybe they chose the Western as a medium of expressing their disillusionment with HUAAC cuz they figured nobody would suspect that, I don't know. But this movie cannot be enjoyed that much as a straight-up Western without understanding the backstory.

In the Rio Bravo thread, we've already discussed many of the comparisons, and I am not going to repeat here anything I've already said. But I will say this, if you are comparing movies: RB is a far better movie, and RB can be enjoyed and loved even if you have no idea about the fact that it is a response to HN; it can be enjoyed as a Western story, plain and simple. But I don't think HN can be enjoyed very much without understanding the politics behind it. If you are just watching it as a movie, what's so interesting about seeing a guy running around and aropund asking for help? Is that the western hero we want to see? is that an interesting story? how the town are a bunch of sissies, how he has to take care of it all himself, and then basically spits on the town and gets the fuck out of there?

HN is certainly not terrible. It's enjoyable when you understand its politics.  But it's nowhere near the list of all-time greatest AW's. RB is in the discussion for the top of that list.

btw, I think Katy Jurado is the most interesting character in that movie. The strong woman with the questionable past, who does what it takes to help herself in life without waiting for any knight in shining armor to come along, and is really portrayed positively, I just loved her character. Certainly not the kind of thing you see in many Westerns.

I disagree with most of this.

I can easily ignore the politics of HN, as they are totally unimportant for the pleasure I have with HN.
Zinnemann's directing is great, and that is what counts. If it weren't for a few pretentious parts, it would be one of the best westerns ever. I prefer it slightly to Rio Bravo, which has its share of flares too.

Beautiful photography, great atmosphere, fine score, generally good acting, and some of the best action scenes of the 50s. 9/10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #80 : October 27, 2012, 06:41:16 PM »

one of the film's biggest admirers, and biggest contributors to the bonus features, is Bill Clinton. Must be a vast left-wing conspiracy

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #81 : June 13, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »

I disagree with most of this.

I can easily ignore the politics of HN, as they are totally unimportant for the pleasure I have with HN.
Zinnemann's directing is great, and that is what counts. If it weren't for a few pretentious parts, it would be one of the best westerns ever. I prefer it slightly to Rio Bravo, which has its share of flares too.

Beautiful photography, great atmosphere, fine score, generally good acting, and some of the best action scenes of the 50s. 9/10

I basically agree with all of this outside of preferring High Noon over Rio Bravo, which is one of my favorite movies.

I maybe saw this once or twice a decade ago or so and I was annoyed with Grace Kelly's character, but I didn't mind her too much. Her character being a Quaker was probably a bit much, but I wasn't bored by her scenes this time around. While this gets a bit too preachy in the second act, everything else is pretty much perfect. The cinematography was beautiful, with top notch framing and shots that must have had a bigger impact on Leone than I previously thought. The performances were good throughout, a great all around cast and Cooper was fantastic. The music was great, as was the tension built throughout the movie, and like stanton said, the action is really good for 50s standards.

9/10

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Rojo Ramone
Bandido

« #82 : June 13, 2016, 12:27:46 PM »

I haven't seen this in awhile but it does list high for me for American Westerns.
I haven't seen the extras which I must remedy soon with my local library.

I could be wrong but aren't most Westerns "morality tales"?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #83 : June 13, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »

I haven't seen this in awhile but it does list high for me for American Westerns.

One of the absolute best I'd say.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #84 : June 14, 2016, 06:50:33 AM »

Cooper was 20 years too old for the role.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #85 : June 14, 2016, 09:33:02 AM »

Cooper was 20 years too old for the role.

While he was too old for the role, he's Gary Cooper. He was fantastic in the movie and I can see that character shacking up with a much younger woman.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #86 : June 27, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »

You can buy Grace Kelly's house for a million bucks

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/philadelphia-real-estate/Grace-Kelly-home-hits-the-market-sans-cats.html

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #87 : July 08, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19386
Special Features and Specs:
•NEW 4K restoration
•Optional English SDH subtitles
•"A Ticking Clock" - Academy Award nominee Mark Goldblatt on the editing of High Noon
•"A Stanley Kramer Production"" - Michael Schlesinger on the eminent producer of High Noon
•"Imitation of Life: The Blacklist History of High Noon" - with historian Larry Ceplair and blacklisted screenwriter Walter Bernstein
•"Ulcers and Oscars: The Production History of High Noon" - a visual essay with rarely seen archival elements, narrated by Anton Yelchin
•"Uncitizened Kane" - an original essay by Sight & Sound editor Nick James
•Theatrical trailer
STREET DATE: SEPTEMBER 20.

Moorman

« #88 : January 20, 2017, 07:21:04 AM »

One of the BEST movies i've ever seen. I could've sworn i already reviewed it, but here goes.  I didn't know what to expect when i saw this, but was blown away by it.  What i most loved about the film is the simplicity of the storyline.  A lot of people i've found out, don't like the fact that the Marshall had to go around and ask the townsfolk for help.  A lot of folks don't like the fact that the Marshall was afraid. I say these are the things that made it a brilliant film.  Too, too many movies, not just westerns, are FAKE.  Every hero is brave, and needs no help. No, this film broke it down to how it really is. Everybody and every situation is different. I could care less about any hidden political agendas that people say is there, because like i said, not every hero is brave and not every situation is the same.

I saw this on tv. Can't wait to purchase the blu ray version of it from Olive Signature.  
What i liked:

1.  The black and white cinematography.

2. The characters.

3. The acting.

4.  The script.

What i didn't like:

His wife inserted into the middle of a gunfight. I tend to hate ANY movie scene where the hero is saved by a 3rd party in this manner.

« : January 20, 2017, 07:22:50 AM Moorman »
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #89 : February 02, 2017, 12:07:42 AM »

Pretty hilarious: the Academy Awards ceremony at which Gary Cooper was awarded Best Actor for High Noon
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZyA49IOXVk

Yeah, that's John Wayne complaining that he didn't get the High Noon gig   ;D ;D ;D

: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines