Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 10:04:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  High Noon (1952)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Noon (1952)  (Read 26576 times)
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2003, 08:38:25 AM »

Saw High Noon this weekend, and it seemed to me that this film could have been very influential for Leone's westerns and OUTIW in particular.  Especially when three men are waiting for a train, it all rings a bell.
Also the scene where cooper is behind his desk writing his testament and the camera registers the villagers waiting for something bad to happen, with the music...  A very strong scene that reaches a very high dramatic level for his time I think.  It reminded me strongly of a scene like the shootout in FFDM, GBU or OUTIW where the dramatic tension rises through different points of view cloaked by a musical theme.
(I hope I made myself clear a little Tongue...)

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 03:59:50 PM »

Yes certainly High Noon was another quote for OUTITW the three men waiting for the train, the clocks, I belive Bertolucci mentioned this, some of the others were, "The Iron Horse" then "Shane" then"Winchester 73', Lionel Standers trading post, then "Shane" burial at the McBaine ranch,  then "Pursued" and "The Searchers", and etc., etc., its all laid out on page 266-268 of Fraylings "Something to do with Death." Check it out if you can.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 04:15:27 PM »

Saw High Noon this weekend, and it seemed to me that this film could have been very influential for Leone's westerns and OUTIW in particular.  Especially when three men are waiting for a train, it all rings a bell.
Also the scene where cooper is behind his desk writing his testament and the camera registers the villagers waiting for something bad to happen, with the music...  A very strong scene that reaches a very high dramatic level for his time I think.  It reminded me strongly of a scene like the shootout in FFDM, GBU or OUTIW where the dramatic tension rises through different points of view cloaked by a musical theme.
(I hope I made myself clear a little Tongue...)

I also think that the ambush of Frank in Flagstone bears more than a passing resemblance to "High Noon".  Denote the number of killers (four), and the fact that someone other than the main character (Grace Kelly in "High Noon", Harmonica in OUATITW) kills one of the men who the main character doesn't see coming.

I know that Frayling compared this scene to "Rio Bravo" but frankly I don't see it.  I've seen "Rio Bravo" like five times and I know what I'm talking about.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 02:03:39 AM »

You got a very good point there...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 04:30:26 AM »

I know what you mean Groggy, I think you are right, after a while all those old westerns blend into the cliches they were, it may be an excuseable error, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 04:44:42 AM »

I know what you mean Groggy, I think you are right, after a while all those old westerns blend into the cliches they were, it may be an excuseable error, lol.

LOL, yeah.

And just to clarify something if it comes up: when I said "I've seen 'Rio Bravo' like five times", that may not seem like overly much but keep in mind that I don't watch movies on a regular basis (or at least one particular movie).  I don't know if I've seen more than a few movies that many times.  

Whether it was a deliberate homage or not I don't know, but I think that the similarities are more than passing . . .

Saturday nights with Groggy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 07:37:14 AM »

OK, I suppose most of you know that initial screening (focus group) of High Noon did not screen well, and Studio added Tex Ritter singing throughout, and the quick cuts to the clock.  Anyway, that's what instructor told us in film class, a long time ago.  More fun in High Noon is that first character to appear is Lee van Cleef, who doesn't speak even one word in entire film, but does play the harmonica.  Van Cleef was offered the deputy role (Lloyd Bridges part) if he would have his nose fixed, and Lee refused so was offered the bad guy role.  So Lee left New Jersey and job as accountant and part-time play actor to go to Hollywood.  One of the other bad guys was Sheb Wooley (song Purple People Eater) who just recently passed away.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 11:44:29 AM »

Just saw a bit of High Noon this weekend while surfing and saw that Jack Elam was in it too, didn't realize he was the town drunk - just like Otis Campbell.  

He's so skinny you can barely recognize him.  

And he has the 4 Aces tattooed on his chest  Wink  
"Death Rides a Horse" was on last night.  I've now watched Johny Guitar & this thing within a week, I need help.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
KERMIT
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 12:08:10 PM »

just watching johnny guitar is enough to make me seek therapy.

saw a film called "terror in a texas town". sterling hayden didn't have a gun. his weapon was a harpoon.
impaled the bad guy (in black w/ 2 guns ) in the duel @ the films end.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2003, 12:17:03 PM »

Tell me about it.

My wife came home and looked at me watching "Death Rides a Horse"... and just shook her head.  I'm lucky she didn't call the police.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
KERMIT
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2003, 01:44:15 PM »

i wish leone would have had richard boone @ some point.
watched "hombre" last night.  boone was so gifted.
shame he and leone never got together.  Wink

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2003, 02:03:40 PM »

Admittedly, Boone is solid - but could he have convincingly portrayed a half-breed Portugese whaler out in El Paso?  

"Terror in a Texas Town" LMFAO.  God forgive me if I ever find myself watching that movie, I'm sure the Western Channel will show it.

Did Sterling Hayden have a straight face in the harpoon shootout scene?  "Mandrake, do you know what the Commies are doing to our water?"   Interesting character from what I've heard, loved to party - bought himself a bigass 60' sailing yacht and just cruised the tropical seas with some wenches for a couple years.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2003, 04:09:21 PM »

Regreatably Boone was very underused in film, he could definitely ooze menace, its incredible that you didn't see him more often. Maybe living in Hawaii was more important than making Hollywood bucks.

Watching crap westerns really makes you appreciate Leone even more so.

There was a line in "Something To Do With Death" where Frayling quotes Leone as saying something to the effect that female characters and their storylines screwed up a lot of good westerns. If you removed the women you had better stories. I don't think that would have helped "Johnny Guitar" though, lol.

It seems as if there was a point where they tried all kinds of weird story lines to get a hook to make simple westerns different.

It took Leone to distill things back to the basics, lol

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2003, 05:33:40 PM »

The western genre was as limited as Taco Bell - how many ways can you combine beans, ground beef, cheese, sour cream & tortillas and still come up with a new product?

I love the harpoon angle - what would that be, a whalemeat chalupa?

The bad one's make you appreciate the great one's all the more.

KERMIT
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2003, 08:52:49 PM »

The western genre was as limited as Taco Bell - how many ways can you combine beans, ground beef, cheese, sour cream & tortillas and still come up with a new product?

I love the harpoon angle - what would that be, a whalemeat chalupa?

The bad one's make you appreciate the great one's all the more.
to be honest with you general, it was a prety good old movie. every time the bad guy in black would move it sounded as if he were supporting 10 lbs of leather.

don't push sterling to far...a pectoral grizzely way to go, not to mention embarrassing.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM