Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 11:36:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Leopard aka Il gattopardo (1963)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Leopard aka Il gattopardo (1963)  (Read 19665 times)
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2003, 03:19:12 AM »

I just bought the new DVD: complete, brilliant, luxurious with many  great actors (Burt Lancaster is a master)

Some " spagh " names: giulano gemma,  terence hill and ... wild and a little bit fat Claudia herself   Cheesy

Time is on my side...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 04:47:19 AM »

Yes, I love this movie.  The only of Visconti's I've seen, and it's superb.

Saturday nights with Groggy
COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 03:19:45 AM »

Groggy, try to see "Les Damnés" (French title) , it's great with an amazing scene about the "long-knife night" when Nazi SS killed Nazi SA .. . Others Visconti products are very good.
I give you the french titles: Violence et passion (with burt lancaster) , Ludwig , L'innocent, Death at Venice.
Visconti was noble, gay and marxist , you could try to recognize his three obsession within his master pieces

Time is on my side...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 04:46:18 AM »

Groggy, try to see "Les Damnés" (French title) , it's great with an amazing scene about the "long-knife night" when Nazi SS killed Nazi SA .. . Others Visconti products are very good.
I give you the french titles: Violence et passion (with burt lancaster) , Ludwig , L'innocent, Death at Venice.
Visconti was noble, gay and marxist , you could try to recognize his three obsession within his master pieces

Les Damnes (sorry, can't make the accent mark) sounds interesting.  

Visconti: Noble, gay, Marxist?  I wouldn't have thought those could go together, but here we are.

COLONNA
Bandido

I'm his son

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 03:04:27 AM »

There are many common points between Sergio and Visconti  :

-Italians
-Sense of the Opera and the "great entairtainment"
-Good use of US Stars with sometime a reboot of their carreer (Lancaster, Fonda )
- Taken risk with young actors for main characters  : Clint, Delon
- Admiration for fine ladies; Claudia, Romy
-Landscapes
-precise suits
-Historical background
-Musical use

It seems that Bernardo Bertolluci was impressed by both Directors .Rememeber Novecento

Let's imagine; 1880 Olive crisis in Sicilia, many people ruined and went to America to become pistoleros : Terence Hill , Giulano Gemma or whore: Claudia. Wink

Time is on my side...
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 05:35:54 AM »

There are many common points between Sergio and Visconti  :

-Italians
-Sense of the Opera and the "great entairtainment"
-Good use of US Stars with sometime a reboot of their carreer (Lancaster, Fonda )
- Taken risk with young actors for main characters  : Clint, Delon
- Admiration for fine ladies; Claudia, Romy
-Landscapes
-precise suits
-Historical background
-Musical use

It seems that Bernardo Bertolluci was impressed by both Directors .Rememeber Novecento

Let's imagine; 1880 Olive crisis in Sicilia, many people ruined and went to America to become pistoleros : Terence Hill , Giulano Gemma or whore: Claudia. Wink

Well, very true.  Don't know what I can add?

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 06:49:48 PM »

I heard that this was a big inspiration to Sergio and, from the various pictures I've seen, it looks like it could've visually inspired movies like OUATIA and The Godfather.

From what I've read though it's hard to understand what the movie is. Is it one long soap opera? A war movie? A drama like OUATIA or GF? Does much really go on with the characters? Does the story cover a lot of ground?

Is Nino Rota's score on par with The Godfather movies or Morricone's stuff?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 06:59:44 PM by Poggle » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »

I think The Leopard's influence shows mostly in DYS, maybe a bit in OUATITW and OUATIA. Leone and Visconti took similar approaches to set design; both directors were obsessed with details. Perhaps Leone took some of his ideas of pacing from Visconti as well.

You can call The Leopard a soap opera if you want, but the conflicts are very low key, usually unspoken. The film has kind of a glacial pace (there is a fancy ball at the end of the movie that lasts 40 minutes), and nothing of any great importance happens to the main character (played by Burt Lancaster), who is an aristocrat in decline. You see him slowly losing his place in the world, as he realizes that the nobility is finished and that he will die before too long. Yet he remains a fascinating character.

I like the film a lot, but it is very different from Leone's movies.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 06:09:46 AM »

Along with being a big influence on Leone and Copolla, Martin Scorcese is quoted as saying "This is one of the films I live by".

I've been curious about this one for a while, I came this {--} close to buying it the other day.

It's class.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:11 PM »

The Criterion DVD of the film looks amazing.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 06:17:55 AM »

Very entertaining and extraordinarily well-made film.  I don't understand why Burt Lancaster of all people was cast as a Sicilian count in an Italian film, but he was good enough that I could ignore that for the most part.   And of course our very own Claudia Cardinale is drop dead gorgeous in this film.  Kiss

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 09:09:05 PM »

Very entertaining and extraordinarily well-made film.  I don't understand why Burt Lancaster of all people was cast as a Sicilian count in an Italian film...
The short answer, of course, is that money always follows stars. Financing for a film is often made possible by having a name actor attached to a project.

All this talk about the film drove me to watch it again this weekend, and I gotta say, the more I watch it, the more of Leone I see in it. Consider that it has not only Claudia but Pola Stoppa (Sam in OUATITW) and Romolo Valli (Dr. Villega in DYS). Consider also that Sicily looks a lot like Spain at times, and that Visconti uses a color palette of mostly yellows and browns. Study the Battle of Palermo sequence, and see how Visconti uses smoke and dust and a sense of general confusion throughout. Remind you of any other director? Notice in particular the moment when captured soldiers are lined up and shot by firing squad: seen that anywhere else?

The thing that really had me sitting up and taking notice was a detail that happens just before the elegant dinner scene: a servant comes and announces the meal, we get a close-up of this funny-looking guy (who I don't think we ever see again) and he comes out with the Italian equivalent of "Come and get it." Totally Sergio!

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 07:41:21 AM »

Wow, I definately have to check this movie out!

I think The Leopard's influence shows mostly in DYS, maybe a bit in OUATITW and OUATIA

Ahh, my two favorite movies(OUATs) and my favorite movie trilogy! Smiley I've been searching for Italian epics that take themselves very seriously, like OUATIA, GF, etc. and this sounds like the godfather of "The Great Epic Italian Drama" Smiley

But I have a question about Italian movies like this in general, a little off-topic - Do Visconti's movies have that kind of goof appeal in a serious context like Leone and Bertolucci? Novecento is a good example! "Oh, cocaine, I'd like to try some, let me try some!". Heehee, that scene was hilarious.
Same thing with clownish characters in a serious movie. Fat Moe & Cockeye and Attila & Ada being a good example Grin

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 07:46:25 AM by Poggle » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »

But I have a question about Italian movies like this in general, a little off-topic - Do Visconti's movies have that kind of goof appeal in a serious context like Leone and Bertolucci? Novecento is a good example! "Oh, cocaine, I'd like to try some, let me try some!". Heehee, that scene was hilarious.
Same thing with clownish characters in a serious movie. Fat Moe & Cockeye and Attila & Ada being a good example Grin
You don't really get much "low" humor in Visconti, he takes things pretty seriously. There is a certain amount of wry humor in The Leopard, but it mostly concerns gauche characters who have pretentions to elegance. For example, there's a moment in the film when one character serves wine to Lancaster, and Burt takes it to be polite. He knows it isn't going to be up to his usual standards, but it is important that he not shame the other man by refusing. Nonetheless, after tasting the wine, Lancaster can't quite suppress a look showing his sense of having been betrayed (a look that almost says, "You dare to serve such an inferior vintage to the Prince of Salina!"). Are you laughing yet?

There IS some mirth here, but actually Donald Pleasance did a better job bringing off a similar scene in a Columbo episode.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 12:01:09 PM »

The Criterion DVD of the film looks amazing.

Agreed! What I like doing at the moment (and have been for the past year and a bit) is going through the Criterion website, reading synopsis and blind buying. The Leopard was one of my BB results and I enjoyed it greatly. I can definatly see a bit of Visconti in Leone's later works. I haven't  been let down with a single BB from the Criterions and I thoroughly enjoy trailing through their site.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM