Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:43:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (1954)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (1954)  (Read 638 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »

CJ gave this only 9\10. Yet I can't find a single element not to dub it perfection. Maybe only Jeanne Moreau: but that because I've never understood why she had such a career. And of course in 1954 nobody knew about that. 10\10

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:35:20 AM »

I just saw this movie; I give it a 9.5/10

There's not much to criticize with that high a rating, but I guess that while I was LOVING it all the way, maybe the end or theme of the movie was a slight downer for me. As Francois Truffaut described the movie "The real subjects of Grisbi are aging and friendship." (I saw that quote from Truffaut in Roger Ebert's review http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-touchez-pas-au-grisbi-1954 )
I don't know, maybe I was expecting more of a straight gangster movie; maybe I couldn't see Jean Gabin giving away all that money without a fight to some guy who no matter how close friends they are totally walked into this mess himself, screwed himself up; would a tough guy like Gabin repeatedly bail his friend out, never get angry at him, just be a sucker for him like that over and over? (No, I don't believe there's anything sexual about their relationship.)
Maybe I was just disappointed to see Gabin as a loyal and aging guy instead of a real tough guy.
 Also, I didn't like that voice-over in which we hear his thoughts about his friend.

But of course, this is just the tiniest minor "imperfection."  This movie is up there with all the other great French crime films: Rifif, Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge, Bob le Flambour, Le Trou. Whether they're a 9/10, a 9.5/10, or a 10/10, whatever, they're all damn great movies  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:04:03 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM