Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 12:41:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Leopard aka Il gattopardo (1963)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Leopard aka Il gattopardo (1963)  (Read 19404 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 06:16:02 AM »

Not sure what she's doing with her left hand.
She is communicating "pensiveness."

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »

Mr. Savant:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3235leop.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »

Well spotted. Erickson's observations are, as ever, worthy of attention.

I saw the film again a few weeks ago, the first time in a theater. Even though I've seen it a number of times on LD and DVD, I watched the projected film in awe. Single frames hold so much information, at times I wanted to hit the pause button and just study the image. With the blu-ray, in the future, that's exactly how I'll be able to view the film. I'm looking forward to that.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »

I saw the film again a few weeks ago, the first time in a theater. Even though I've seen it a number of times on LD and DVD, I watched the projected film in awe. Single frames hold so much information, at times I wanted to hit the pause button and just study the image. With the blu-ray, in the future, that's exactly how I'll be able to view the film. I'm looking forward to that.

No, it is not blu-ray making the difference but rather the screen dimensions. You ought to work on that.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 09:18:02 AM »

Screen dimensions? The aspect ratio has been constant on home video ever since the film's restoration. Are you talking about the size of the image? I don't subscribe to the superstition that bigger is better. Resolution is what's important, and the 1080p standard delivers what is needed.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 04:03:52 PM »

You can have all the resolution you want on a small screen, it won't compare with the impression made by a lesser resolution but on a much bigger screen. Of course, the combination of the two is the best option, but since I've adopted a 140" screen I simply cannot watch a movie or a football match even on a blu-ray but on a 50-60" tv set anymore.  That may be a subjective reaction, of course, but the fact is that all of the people to whom I have shown the effect of a bigger screen immediately concurred with me. They weren't that impressed by blu-ray which, to be best appreciatecd, needs  to be compared to the same image as played by a dvd. Same goes for HD tv.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »

You can have all the resolution you want on a small screen, it won't compare with the impression made by a lesser resolution but on a much bigger screen. Of course, the combination of the two is the best option, but since I've adopted a 140" screen I simply cannot watch a movie or a football match even on a blu-ray but on a 50-60" tv set anymore.  That may be a subjective reaction, of course, but the fact is that all of the people to whom I have shown the effect of a bigger screen immediately concurred with me. They weren't that impressed by blu-ray which, to be best appreciatecd, needs  to be compared to the same image as played by a dvd. Same goes for HD tv.

It's a question of how close you sit to the image. The further away you are, the less your eyes can detect details on the screen--regardless of format. A larger screen just means you can sit farther away before the image starts seeming compromised. And of course when you are viewing something with several people you need to sit back far enough so that everyone has an adequate sight line, so naturally a bigger image is required. If you sit far enough away from a blu-ray image it will look no different than a standard DVD.

I find, though, whether I'm in the cinema or at home, 5 minutes into the film I'm not longer marveling at (or cursing) the size of the image; but, at any point, the fact that I can see minute details in the wallpaper, for example, can suddenly arrest my attention.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »

It doesn't work like this. I watch the bigger screen from a double distance I watch the smaller one and it's not the same thing. Particulars come at you, you're not looking for them, even if they are less defined than watched on a more resoluted medium. The fact is that you got the hang of the scene, which you don't have on the smaller screen. That's that.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »

The prices of Blu-ray players are falling and whilst some players can be made to play different regions fairly easily, sometimes firmware updates can cause problems.

My four Blu-ray players are region B but I think one of them could be very easily converted.  Not tried it yet as I haven't found it necessary.  There's no region A Blu-ray that I want that isn't available in a region B or region free version.

They're definitely falling, but it sure isn't easy making them region free as far as I'm aware. It seems to be totally different technology from DVD players and the modifications involved pretty much double the price of the players! If you could point me in the direction of some cheap ones, I would be very much obliged!

By the way, isn't four a little excessive?

Some of the reviewers at dvdbeaver.com actually prefer the BFI region B version of the Leopard to Criterion's region A release, even though the stats of the Criterion version look better and it has better bonus features.  Being from the U.K. the price of the Criterion release would be significantly more for me and I'm perfectly happy with my region B Blu-ray.  Arguably the colors are more natural.

Interesting to note

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 11:55:43 AM »

Thanks HG - looks like I have some researching to do!

By the way, has anyone ever read the original novel of this. I was thinking of maybe giving it a read.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »

It has some "deleted scenes" that didn't make it into the movie.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2011, 03:33:13 AM »

Has anyone seen Tornatore's 2010 documentary film (music by Morricone of course) on Goffredo Lombardo? It is called "L'ultimo gattopardo: Ritratto di Goffredo Lombardo".

I assume that the name "Gattopardo" was used because Lombardo was the producer who financed Visconti's "Il Gattopardo" (there's an interesting interview with Lombardo on the Criterion disc about this).

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2011, 03:16:28 AM »

Seems like Tornatore's documentary has been included on the new Medusa release in Italy:

http://www.medusa.it/film/1148/il-gattopardo.shtml

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:10 AM »

By the way, has anyone ever read the original novel of this. I was thinking of maybe giving it a read.

Much better than the movie. One of the best italian novels of last century.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »

Care to comment on Archibald Colquhoun's English translation? No, I didn't think so . . . .

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM