Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:33:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Siskel & Ebert 1984 Review
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Siskel & Ebert 1984 Review  (Read 3013 times)
a1
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:03:19 AM »

- - -

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:04:38 AM by A1 » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »

Ebert's review of OUATIA says that the longer version, which he had seen at Cannes, was a masterpiece, but he hated the shorter version. I assume that's what they're reviewing. Will watch it later.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »

This has recently been uploaded to YouTube.  They review Streets of Fire and Once Upon a Time in America.  They both give a thumbs down to the shorter version of OUATIA but I think that in the future they will come to like the longer version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rsvCGcShgU

Thanks A1.  I remember watching that at the time.  I guess Ebert thought favorably of the original cut.  Without doubt, Gene Siskel thought highly of the film.  He was one of the film journalists that came out very loudly to support the original cut of the film and Sergio.  He placed the unedited version of OUATIA at number 1 in his list of best films from 1984 and also gave it recognition again in his top picks of that decade.  Raging Bull was atop his decade list with OUATIA at #7. 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:25 PM »

Yeah, both Siskel and Ebert make it VERY clear they're talking about the short version.

Here's Ebert's review, in case you haven't read it:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19840101/REVIEWS/401010365/1023

Saturday nights with Groggy
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:29:34 PM »

Yeah, both Siskel and Ebert make it VERY clear they're talking about the short version.

Here's Ebert's review, in case you haven't read it:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19840101/REVIEWS/401010365/1023

Thanks Grogs.  I believe I've read that in print in one of the old versions of his books.  You're right.  They both went to great lengths to let their viewers know that they were panning the edited version of the film and at the same time increase awareness about the original cut.     

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM