Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 07:03:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Shooting (1967)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Shooting (1967)  (Read 5599 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »

Got this from Netflix today and watched it tonight.

Dir. Monte Hellman, starring Warren Oates, Jack Nicholson, Will Hutchins, Millie Perkins.

It was the Madacy DVD that Netflix sent, audio ok nothing great, video nothing great either, but a good release would enhance both.

Here is a very low budget film that shows what you can do with a low budget when you have some spectacular Western Landscape to work with. Basically for sets they have a small mining opperation with some wall tents to live in, a small fly speck town set of a few shantys (not even a false front), and this really desolate desert. The rest of the props are horses and what happens to them when they are rode into the ground.

Its a film in the same vein as "Once Upon A Time in The West", and "Cemetery Without Crosses" in that its very very artsy and you have to pay attention to what's being said or you are going to get to the end and say WTF?, even then everything is open to interpretation, its a film that makes you think.

Great performances by by Oates & Hutchins, Nicholson the gunslinger looks like Wilson from Shane but he doesn't do all that much except look menacing, the biggest weak link in this is Perkins, she must have been somebody's girlfriend who got attached to the film, she's not that convincing. Anyway its worth a look see.

It was a surprise to see Will Hutchins, one of the TV Westerns I used to like was a show called "Sugarfoot" and Hutchins was the star of it. I got to watching "Sugarfoot" because it was one of 4 westerns that shared a time slot on the same night. The other shows were "Maverick", "Cheyenne",and "Bronco Lane". Bronco Lane I never watched, though but the others were entertaining. So you only got to see one of each of them once a month. Each had it's own similar title theme song. The shows were all different but they did go against the usual standard Western fare

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:20:20 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 02:21:02 AM »

Not sure what I think about this film, or its companion piece, Ride in the Whirlwind. Both are thought provoking, but I can't really say I enjoy watching them. Maybe it will take a few more viewings before they start to appeal.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:04:49 AM »

I think I have a soft spot for landscapes, that's what I enjoyed most other than seeing another good performance by Oates & seeing Hutchins in something other than Sugarfoot.  Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:37:20 AM »

Alas, this time I have to agree with Jenkins. Cry    This film and its twin found a distributor over here only when Nicholson became a superstar, in the early '70's. That was sure proof they sucked or at least weren't that entertaining. In facts I saw them on tv in the early '80's and found them, well, not boring but slow movin'. Same now on big screen, original audio and dvd. Nicholson like Palance? Come on, give me a break: he makes me laugh just looking at him dressed up like that. CJ, yes the landscape are important, but they are not the background for a dramatic story. And the story has no solid ground bercause if Oates' purpose is to save his brother, then he shouldn't do what he does. 6\10

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »

The Shooting is surely closer to Waiting for Godot than to John Ford or High Noon. Intense film.

The landscape looks SW like poor due to the mini budget for both films. It should have been shot with Conrad Hall as DP in a more fascinatig surrounding. And they should have chosen a better actress for the female lead. Apart from that a very fascinating western with one of the best endings in any western. 9/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »

Alas, this time I have to agree with Jenkins. Cry    This film and its twin found a distributor over here only when Nicholson became a superstar, in the early '70's. That was sure proof they sucked or at least weren't that entertaining. In facts I saw them on tv in the early '80's and found them, well, not boring but slow movin'. Same now on big screen, original audio and dvd. Nicholson like Palance? Come on, give me a break: he makes me laugh just looking at him dressed up like that. CJ, yes the landscape are important, but they are not the background for a dramatic story. And the story has no solid ground bercause if Oates' purpose is to save his brother, then he shouldn't do what he does. 6\10

Oh, don't worry, I probably never watch in again intentionally. I still maintain that China 9 Liberty 37 is Hellman's and Oates' Best Western by a country mile.  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »

Ho. Lee. Sheet.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_63/shooting_ride_the_whirlwind_blu-ray.htm

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »

The landscape looks SW like poor due to the mini budget for both films. It should have been shot with Conrad Hall as DP in a more fascinatig surrounding.

Given the budget, I actually think Sandor did a great job.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 12:15:42 PM »

Given the budget, I actually think Sandor did a great job.

Maybe, but it could have been so much better. But then, I watched it recently only from a pretty cheap DVD.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »

Maybe, but it could have been so much better. But then, I watched it recently only from a pretty cheap DVD.
Look at the Beaver screenshots!

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »

I did. They look much better than what I have.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »

They look much better than what I saw  Afro

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:36 PM »

Same here. Hellman seems pretty happy too:

https://www.facebook.com/monte.hellman/posts/10202791707248294?stream_ref=10

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4654shoo.html

Watched these both last night, in the order prescribed by Savant, but read his recommendation only afterward. Both films look fabulous in this present form. Ride in the Whirlwind has an interesting premise, but the execution is weak and the whole effort can only garner a 4/10 from me. The Shooting is more interesting, relies more on its scenery, maintains an air of mystery up to its final moments. Maybe I can go as high as a "7." Watching prime Warren Oates is always a pleasure, and he's the clear lead in the picture.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 10:43:46 AM »

the biggest weak link in this is Perkins, she must have been somebody's girlfriend who got attached to the film, she's not that convincing.
The new Criterion set has interviews with cast and crew members, many conducted by Hellman himself. It turns out Perkins got the job because she was Hellman's neighbor at the time. Before The Shooting she was in The Diary of Anne Frank and an Elvis picture. I agree that she isn't much of an actress (or wasn't at the time), but she knows enough to be annoying. It kind of works for her character, but could you imagine how much better this would have been with, say, Faye Dunaway in the role?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM