Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 05:03:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Spirit (2008)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Spirit (2008)  (Read 4782 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2008, 01:05:49 PM »

The latest from Frank Miller, this might be interesting: http://www.lionsgate.com/thespirit/

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/22122078.html

It'll probably be more like Sin City than a direct Eisner adaptation, but cool nonetheless.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:55:25 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Whalestoe
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »

I'm very excited for this. However, also disappointed the black boy won't be in it.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:25:37 PM »

What about this black boy?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:16:00 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

Whalestoe
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »

Shocked AWESOME!

Whalestoe
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 01:01:15 AM »

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36456

Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:56:42 AM »

Moved forward to Christmas 2008: http://www.variety.com/VR1117985199.html

Whalestoe
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 01:50:28 AM »

This topic needs to be renamed Frank Miller's The Spirit...

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/12/first-look-samuel-l-jackson-as-the-octopus-in-the-spirit/

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:23:09 PM by Whalestoe » Logged
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »

I have very limited knowledge of the comic strip (only read a few columns online) but I know enough to say this isn't a very faithful adaption.
Seems like the Samuel L. Jackson character was a mix of two villains from the source material. Would have rather seen the character of "Octopus" the way he was meant to be. Nonetheless it was an entertaining movie. Pulpy and ridiculous but that is what it was supposed to be.

Eva Mendes doesn't have a pretty face but this movie showcased her good looking body (wonder if the nude ass belonged to her or a double?). Scarlett Johnsson, who normally is an empty shell (are her tits the only reason she has a career?), is surprisingly good with her one note character and the dude that played the title character was spot on. His facial expressions when interrupted during his more flirtatious moments are priceless.

The look of the film doesn't look anything like the comic (Looks like SIN CITY... not surprising since Miller is at the helm) but it was nice to look at.

A good effort and it is very good to see that studios still can put out 10 million dollar action/super hero movie.
This little movie looks ten times better than all the spider mans did.
Gives me faith in the industry.

7/10

The climax has a FOD reference.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

You know, I've heard nothing but bad reviews, the movie's tanked at the box office, and it looks terrible, so I'm not going to bother with this one.

Saturday nights with Groggy
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

You know, I've heard nothing but bad reviews, the movie's tanked at the box office, and it looks terrible, so I'm not going to bother with this one.

Did TB somehow get a hold of Groggy's account?
Since when have you cared about what the critics have had to say (or what it did at the BO for that matter?)?

I'm not waving the flag for the movie but it is a well put together escapist fantasy.
The reviews I've read from professional critics hav been nothing but nit-picking.
"One dimensional characters", "stilted/forced dialogue"...

It's a comic book adaption of a1940's kiddie comic strip... what did they expect?

And it most likely tanked because of its bizarre subject matter. It's actually a lot more out there than I expected it to be...

and the first 10 minutes aren't all that great... so I can imagine a lot of walk outs.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »

Since when have you cared about what the critics have had to say (or what it did at the BO for that matter?)?

I merely point it out, although when everything comes together to indicate it sucks I sit up and take notice. (Plus a 5.4 rating on IMDB.) One or two of those I might have been able to overlook, but bad critical reviews + bad box office + bad word of mouth definitely puts me off.

At any rate, you conveniently left out this part of the post:

it looks terrible

I'm sick to death of superhero movies and I hated 300. Plus the trailers make it look like drek; the "gray graphic novel" filmmaking style irritates the shit out of me. I'll save my time and money. I won't say anything more though unless you wish to pursue an argument.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:37:39 AM by Groggy » Logged

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 10:27:23 AM »

"it looks terrible"

I didn't leave it out to help my arguement I just merely didn't remember reading it.
I don't write this stuff with a copy of the post I'm quoting from next to me.
I just read the article and counter argue what made the biggest impression on me.

I'm sick to death of superhero movies and I hated 300.

I'm sick of super heros as well which is bad because I walked into the theatre thinking it wasn't a super hero movie at all because The Spirit isn't supposed to be. Miller screwed with the origin.
300 was garbage to.

I'm not asking you to go see the movie if it isn't your taste but don't form an opinion about the movie after reading what a paid off mug had to say about it (ala TB). Cheesy

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »

I'll say I started out disinterested in the movie before it was released. The bad word-of-mouth, reviews and box-office are only sweetners. That's four strikes against it.

Your post doesn't make sense anyway. If I were TB I would be insulting your opinion. Cheesy

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »

I saw this today, and although I wanted to like it, it seemed kind of flat. I saw a digitally projected image, and it looked really good. I enjoyed Sin City a lot ( a 10/10 film for me), but although this film resembles that one image-wise, there is a big difference in the writing and direction. Well, Sin City was directed by Rodriguez; this one is all Miller, and he doesn't know what he's doing. Scenes go on too long with too little purpose.  There's nothing driving the story, the plot is just one scene followed by another. Yeah some of the scenes are entertaining: Samuel L. always delivers, and I found his clone henchmen very funny. But this film should have been so much better. And Miller's cameo is a crime against cinema. Also, the soundtrack was shite (and the song was by Christina Aguilera? Give me a break!) I did like the nod to Steve Ditko, though. Not an awful movie (certainly better than 300), but I can only come up with a 6/10 for it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 04:11:04 PM »

Didn't you like 300 Jenkins?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM