Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:44:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Saw Three Westerns this weekend
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saw Three Westerns this weekend  (Read 6666 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »

Hombre is my altime favorite AW, Richard Boone just oozes menace, I did a good review of it in other films, check it out. Newman's one liners were just begging for a jew's harp twang. Its that good, and its out on DVD. So if you want to get a good sample of Richard Boone badass, get it, now I'm just waiting for the "Tall T".  Cool

Thanks for the recommendation.

have you ever seen "man called horse"? If so...how is it?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 09:44:40 PM »

A Man Called Horse is good too, but I think its in that earlier, pre Civil War era, much like Jerimiah Johnson, and "A Man In The Wilderness". Its been a long time since I've seen it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 11:20:21 AM »

have you ever seen "man called horse"? If so...how is it?

Firecracker, it's a good western, but not a great western.  And like cigar joe said, it's set before the Civil War, the 1820's I'm thinking, so don't go in expecting some six-gun action! 

It is an interesting movie though.  Much of the movie is spoken in Native American dialect which gives it a sense of authenticity.  And Richard Harris gives an amazing performance so if you're a fan of his, which I am, it's worth it to see.

And there's always the Sun Dance ceremony.  I'm not gonna lie, it's difficult for me to watch because Harris actually did the ceremony.  So all in all, just know what you're getting going in, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 04:52:38 PM »

I think it hasn't aged well, though. When I saw it at the the theatre I was enthused, but re-watched on tv after the deluge of westerns praising the indian ways, it has little to recommend it.   

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »

And there's always the Sun Dance ceremony.  I'm not gonna lie, it's difficult for me to watch because Harris actually did the ceremony.  So all in all, just know what you're getting going in, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

wait a second. The sun Dance ceremony is when they hang him by his skin? Harris actually did that!? Is he crazy!?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:12:31 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 11:34:09 AM »

The sun Dance ceremony is when they hang him by his skin? Harris actually did that!? His he crazy!?

That was my reaction when I saw it!  I always knew Richard Harris was sometimes a difficult actor to work with, but the guy had dedication to his craft.  And I'm not gonna lie, that scene is difficult to watch from where they insert the wooden clips in his chest to where they lift him up.  Very psychedelic scene!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 02:33:09 PM »

Happend to catch Rio Concho again today, there is a mistake in my previous post the rifles are supposed to be Henrys, but they are "yellow boy" Winchesters ( a prop faux pas),  the film is supposed to take place two years after Lee surrenders at Appomatox.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 10:27:15 AM »

wait a second. The sun Dance ceremony is when they hang him by his skin? Harris actually did that!? Is he crazy!?
Someone left the cake out in the rain.
I don't think that I can take it,
cause it took so long to bake it,
and I'll never have that recipe again.
Oh, Noooooooooooooo.

Nope. The man was not crazy.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 10:22:57 AM »

Happend to catch Rio Concho again today, there is a mistake in my previous post the rifles are supposed to be Henrys, but they are "yellow boy" Winchesters ( a prop faux pas),  the film is supposed to take place two years after Lee surrenders at Appomatox.

Now I have to recorrect my self, I just realized that the Winchester "yellow boy" rifles actually did come out in 1866 so the film is correct. I was thinking of the Winchester 73

The new model (66) contained a number of modifications to the Henry rifle. The Most notable changes included a loading gate in the right side of the receiver, a completely enclosed magazine tube, and a wooden forearm. The new rifle retained essentially the same brass frame, brass butt plate, and wooden butt stock found on the Henry, The earliest Model '66 was manufactured at the same time the Henry was being phased out. Consequently, both rifles were manufactured concurrently. It is generally accepted by the collecting community that the first few Model '66's were serially numbered within the same range as the last few Henrys. Overlapping serials are seen on each side of the 13,000 to 14,000 serial ranges. The 66 was availabe in the .44 Henry rimfire ammo only at first, other centerfire ammo added later.

The later Winchester 73 was available in .44 WCF, .38 WCF (.38-40), and .32 WCF (.32-20), most of which were also available in Colt, Remington and other revolvers. Having a common centerfire cartridge in both revolvers and rifles allowed the owner to carry two firearms, but only one type of ammunition. The original 73 was never offered in the military standard .45 Colt cartridge; only modern reproductions are offered in that caliber.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »

There were some interesting shots--not consistent though--but this dragged like a bastard and was poorly cast for the four leads. Why was Edmond O'Brien given such a small role? I'd rather see a movie about that character.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »

Those fan-boy krauts are doing everyone a favor on 25 March: http://www.amazon.de/Rio-Conchos-Western-Legenden-No/dp/B004HHHNZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293743919&sr=1-2

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »

2 weeks to go! The krauts are also bringing out several other Westerns on the 25th, including The Ruthless Four (1968). Anyone seen this Italian-German co-production, starring Van Heflin and Klaus Kinski?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM