Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 11:24:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Drums Across the River (1954)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drums Across the River (1954)  (Read 1566 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046937/

Drums Across the River 5/10 just saw the film playing on TCM

Pretty much a run-of-the mill (ie. barely watchable) AW, though this film gives a pretty balanced view of the Indians. The real "bad guys" are white (I didn't spoil anything; you learn this 10 minutes into the film  Wink) The only positives I'd say are that Walter Brennan is always great, and the scenery is nice.

Starring Audie Murphy and Walter Brennan (yeah, Murphy has lead billing). I believe this is the first film I have ever seen with Murphy, and I really don't see why he had such a dedicated fan base as an actor. Perhaps it was due to his fame as the most decorated U.S. soldier of WWII  Afro

Below is the full cast, courtesy of imdb

Audie Murphy    ...   Gary Brannon
    Walter Brennan    ...   Sam Brannon
    Lyle Bettger    ...   Frank Walker
    Lisa Gaye    ...   Jennie Marlowe
    Hugh O'Brian    ...   Morgan
    Mara Corday    ...   Sue Randolph
    Jay Silverheels    ...   Taos
    Emile Meyer    ...   Nathan Marlowe
    Regis Toomey    ...   Sheriff Jim Beal
    Morris Ankrum    ...   Chief Ouray
    Bob Steele    ...   Billy Costa
    James Anderson    ...   Jed Walker
    George Wallace    ...   Les Walker
    Lane Bradford    ...   Ralph Costa
    Howard McNear    ...   Stilwell

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:51:34 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »

The film of Murphy's that I like best is "Seven Ways From Sundown" or something like that with Barry Sullivan, lol. It has that Mortimer/Manco (FAFDM), VanCleef/John Philip Law (DRAH), Van Cleef/Gemma (DOA) vibe to it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:05:13 AM »

TCM played 3 Murphy Westerns in a row over the weekend, which I dvr'd and started watching today. Drums Across the River was barely watchable; then I began the second called "The Guns of Fort Petticoat"; I deleted it from my dvr box halfway through, it was that bad. (The only reason I was tempted to finish it was that there was no thread for it here; for the benefit of the board, I figure it's nice to have a thread for as many Westerns as possible. But I found it impossible to go on; I am a strong believer that when a movie is unwatchable, ditch it. No point torturing myself; cinema is supposed to be fun Wink) Anyway, I just started the third one, called "The Quick Gun." I'm gonna continue it tomorrow; If I make it all the way through, I'll start a thread for it as well  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:06:25 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:29:17 AM »

Best Audie Murphy western is Posse from Hell.
Good screenplay by Clair Huffaker. With a better lead (perfect role for Mitchum) and a first rate director the stuff fort an excellent western.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:57:11 AM »

Just looked up both "Seven Ways from Sundown" and "Posse from Hell." Unfortunately, neither is available on Netflix or iTunes; only "PFH" is out on dvd; "SWFS" is not.

Someone posted "PFH" on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk1-e3vPFlw I'll take a look when I have a chance

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:13:37 AM »

Robert Osbourne (the host of TCM) said an interesting bit of info about Walter Brennan: he got his high-pitched voice while fighting World War I (he was in a Field Artillery Regiment), after his vocals chords were damaged by exposure to poison gas

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM