Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 05:12:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Top 10 guy's Guy Movies
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 guy's Guy Movies  (Read 21949 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »

Another find via Cinema Retro. Of course, I'm expecting this to start a few arguments . . .

Top-10 guy's guy movies
Mar 20, 2008 12:16 PM
Every once in awhile, I'm going to blog on something that has absolutely nothing to do with sports. I hope y'all that actually take the time to read my blog don't mind the change of pace. I could start this off with a list of the top-10 sports movies, but everyone knows what those movies are, and that Field of Dreams tops that list, right? So why rehash old material (I'll do that at a later date, haha!)

But there are movies out there, guy's guy movies, that many men know and also some that many men of my generation (note: I'm 27) have never seen, and that's a shame. When I think of guy's guy movies, I think of the ultimate guy's guy: Steve McQueen. I also think of John Wayne. Clint Eastwood. These names scream guy's guy.

So what gives me the right to tell the rest of you that these are the top-10 guy's guy movies? Well, at one point (a very small moment in time) I was going to be a film major. I own about 500 DVD's (and growing). I love the cinematic art form, and yes, I am a film snob. I'm not the guy who's going to waste even matinee money on a piece of crap like, Epic Movie or that terrible, terrible Longest Yard remake.

If anyone has any issues with the list, please let me know. Comment on it. Write in your own lists of the quintessential guy's guy movies for you. To be fair, I'll let y'all know that a lot of sports movies didn't make the list, neither did The French Connection, The Godfather, Smokey and the Bandit, or Gladiator, all films that many guys would consider top-5 guy's guy movies. I think most of y'all would concede that my picks are fairly good, even if you debate their order in let's say, a top-20. I will say that it hurt me to leave Braveheart off the list, but in the end, the love story makes this not so much a guy's guy movie. You usually can't get your wife or girlfriend to sit down and watch The Dirty Dozen, Goodfellas, or The Searchers with you, and that's why those movies are on my list and Braveheart isn't. When chicks will sit down and watch a movie with you, that should preclude it from guy's guy status.

Now, I know I should be blogging about the Dawgs and their Cinderella run, but I'd rather do that at a later date (hopefully after a Sweet Sixteen loss to Duke). So, as it is, here's my list.

10. The Great Escape - See explanation for #5 and add Steve McQueen. There's a reason why the formula works, people.

9. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Eastwood and Leone at the top of their games. Simple enough guy's guy story: three men, one treasure, one very tense Mexican Standoff. There's a reason why Metallica opens their concerts playing The Ecstasy of Gold. Because this movie is the BALLS!

8. Saving Private Ryan - This almost doesn't make the list, because I do know a few chicks who like it, but most wind up hating it because they kill off everyone they fall in love with like Ribisi's medic and Pepper's sniper. This is the ultimate "war is hell" movie, with the first 20 minutes grabbing hold of you and tearing out your guts. Seeing Tom Hanks refusing to embrace his death, emptying the magazine of his .45 into a Panzer makes this a guy's guy movie.

7. The Searchers - You have John Wayne and the guy who was Jesus searching (duh) for years and years for a missing girl, captured by Comanches. This movie has a lot of layers for a guy's guy movie, but is unapologetic in making Wayne the anti-hero. He's a racist, he's a cold-blooded killer. He enjoys killing indians, and even when they're dead, he shoots their eyes out so they can't go to heaven. Yet he is dogged and he never quits. There's no way the greatest John Wayne movie doesn't make this list.

6. The Godfather, Part II - Yes, I am one of the many who prefer Part II to the original. It's DeNiro that makes this movie perfect. His young Don Vito doing what he has to do for his family, his neighborhood, grabbing respect the only way he knows how and then gaining vengeance for his father's murder contrasted with Pacino's decent in the depths of hell, ending with the murder of his own brother makes this the most complex and layered guy's guy movie. The ending coda, seeing the family together in better times before Michael leaves for WWII, with Tessio making an appearance is bittersweet when you know how everything will go down in their future.

5. The Dirty Dozen - This movie follows the guy's guy modus operandi. Stick a whole bunch of of guy's guys (Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, JIM BROWN) in a movie together, stack them up against impossible odds, and then watch them prevail, or die trying. And this movie is only #5!

4. Caddyshack - Yeah, this movie is only #4, but when it dies, it'll receive full consciousness, so at least it's got that going for it.

3. Goodfellas - The greatest mob movie of all time, made all the better knowing it was based on a true story. Think about this, though: we're asked to like the rat. I know, it's shocking because you really don't think about it, but the guy who tells this story is the rat. He rats on DeNiro. He rats on Sorvino. In The Godfather, Part II, we hate the rat. In this movie, we can identify with the rat. Discuss amongst yourselves.

2. The Blues Brothers - Now, I know most of you would rather see Animal House in this place, but I have to go with The Blues Brothers and the reason is really quite simple: car crashes. Hundreds of car crashes. And car chases. Car chase through a mall ("Hey, the new Oldsmobiles are out." "They come earlier every year."). Cars running through an Illinois Nazi demonstration ("I HATE Illinois Nazis!). Car chases from the Good 'Ole Boys. Car chases from the concert to Chicago ("It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." "Hit it!"). How is this movie NOT better than Animal House. Okay, gratuitous nudity is missing, but the car crashes and chases make up for it.

1. 300 - Why this movie and not Braveheart? The chick in this story is more bad (expletive) than many of the men, and not some Frenchie princess. Why this movie and not Gladiator? Well, Gladiator had a been there, done that feel, especially since, you know, it basically ripped off its whole story from The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. Seriously, watch both movies and it'll change your opinion of Gladiator. Plus, TRAFOTRE has Sophia Loren. Bonus! 300 has freaking awesomeness all around it. The Spartans were history's original guy's guys. Spartans would look at today's metrosexual "guys" with contempt, and then stab them through the stomach with their spears so they would die the slow and painful death they deserve. Spartans don't get manis and pedis. Spartans exist for one reason: to be AWESOME. Is there anything that says "guy's guy" than 300 guys armed with only swords and spears, protected by only helmets and shields, destroying a million man army?

This is the ultimate guy's guy movie: a bunch of guy's guys thrown together, facing the most impossible odds in the history of the freaking world, fighting to the last man, dying with glory and their honor intact, and then inspiring a whole bunch of disparate city-states to fight on in their names. Argue with that, people!

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/expert40/142677

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:23:25 PM »

It's a good list until the last four. How the hell is 300 better than GBU or, oh, any decent action film?

I hate these kind of lists, and this particular writer has the snide, barely-veiled sexism that annoys me in such writing (girlz like this movie... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!). I hate being pigeon-holed as having to like a certain type of movie. But anyway, My Archnemesis Jenkins, thanks for posting, I have something else to bitch about. Cheesy

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »

I don't thinks so.

Where are: Die Hard, Dirty Harry, The Last Boyscout, Heat, The Warriors, Rambo, Platoon, Leon or Snatch?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »

Admittedly, I find 300 a strange choice, but the guy does make a good case for it (although I'm not persuaded). I'm pretty impressed he picked Goodfellas as #3, though.

He does raise an interesting question. When I watch a film like The Dirty Dozen I get a lot of pleasure out of it,  but I think most broads--erm, persons of an alternative gender--wouldn't enjoy it. (I'm talking girly girls here, not tommies like marmota). And I think it's great that such movies exist--there are enough date movies out there, guys need films that are just for them.

Coming up with a list isn't all that easy, though. Each film has to be guy-oriented yet also calculated to drive the women out of the room. Many war movies qualify, especially those without love stories. Objective Burma and A Walk in the Sun quickly spring to mind. More recently, Predator does the trick for me; another good one is Das Boot. Peckinpah's films obviously fit the bill, particularly The Wild Bunch and Cross of Iron. And of course there are the movies of that Leone guy.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 08:18:23 PM »

No Arnie films either. What a dumbass.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »

He does raise an interesting question. When I watch a film like The Dirty Dozen I get a lot of pleasure out of it,  but I think most broads--erm, persons of an alternative gender--wouldn't enjoy it. (I'm talking girly girls here, not tommies like marmota). And I think it's great that such movies exist--there are enough date movies out there, guys need films that are just for them.

WTF's a 'tommie/tommy' ?

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »

No Arnie films either. What a dumbass.

Good call.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »

Tomboy.

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 08:28:03 PM »

And of course there are the movies of that Leone guy.
crap, i thought chicks dig rape scenes  Undecided
WTF's a 'tommie/tommy' ?
i beleive it is a deaf, dumb, and blind kid that sure plays a mean pinball

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 08:30:33 PM »

Groggy has it right. Haven't you guys ever seen The Racket ? (Robert Ryan uses the term twice there)

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 08:32:36 PM »

That's not nice.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:35:53 PM by Tuco the ugly » Logged
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

Where's Salo?

Whalestoe
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »

Where's Salo?

Cheesy

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »

Where's Salo?
On the same list with LoA. Grin

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 06:51:40 AM »

I can't make a top 10 right now but at least these would be on my list:

7.Die Hard
6.OUATIA
5.Full Metal Jacket
4.T2
3.Goodfellas
2.The Good, The Bad And The Ugly