Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 07:05:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Top 10 guy's Guy Movies
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 guy's Guy Movies  (Read 21966 times)
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 12:36:33 PM »

Coming up with a list isn't all that easy, though. Each film has to be guy-oriented yet also calculated to drive the women out of the room. Many war movies qualify, especially those without love stories.

You know, you're right about this Dave.  The more I think about it.  It's also kind of tough to juggle the standard or quality of the film with the plot characteristics that would make it a possible pick.

Last night after the baseball game, I clicked over to AMC.  Caught the end of The Magnificent Seven.  Seeing it again, I see what you're saying about the children.  The romance part is there, but it's not amped up to an annoying level.  Overall, when I think of the film, I'm thinking about the gun fight scenes, the principle tough guy cast members and the Bernstein score.  I like the film.  It does have sentiment (which also serves the narrative) and also has some cliche moments.  But it's a 1960 AW that was kind of a bridge to some of the later films that came later in the decade.

I was trying to think about some sports related films that might be potential candidates.  I really couldn't come up with a solid one.  Many of them have that kind of underdog sentimentality, or include romance or broken relationships that need to be reconciled.  Some that I thought of maybe could be considered "gritty" but maybe would have quality issues that you wouldn't pick them.  They're watchable on television but you wouldn't necessarily have them on your best or favorite list....kind of like Rollerball (1975).  It has the subplot of Caan wanting to get back his love interest.  Also would it be on a favorite list?  Another similar film was North Dallas Forty (1979).  Nolte has his relationship away from the game.  Both films feature guys on a team, violence in their sport...not sure they would be on a memorable list though.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »

Heh, you guys know what great movie doesn't have even one single female role? - 12 Angry Men.

But, from what I know, women still like it.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »

Heh, you guys know what great movie doesn't have even one single female role? - 12 Angry Men.

Reservoir Dogs doesn't have any female roles at all. I have agree that it's a rather manly movie.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »

It's definitely a great film.  A story of guys interacting with each other.  You may be right, the dramatic strength of the film sort of creates an almost universal appeal.

Another sports related film, I had forgotten to include....Raging Bull.  Not sure whether the Cathy Moriarty part would rule it out.  At the center of the film is the relationship between the brothers...and the boxing segments are so brutal that it's difficult to think that his romantic attempts would create any appeal.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »

12 Angry Men deals with types who are only nominally characters (the racist, the flake, the moderator, the go-along, the sorehead, the old coot, the honorable immigrant, the straight arrow, etc.) You could re-purpose the scenario with an all female cast (retitled Hen Party) and, with minor changes to the dialog, have pretty much the same film. The movie is largely an intellectual exercise, and women, I hear, have intellects.

Raging Bull is a good candidate, though, for the reasons stated above, also its evocation of male sexual jealousy. As a male who has witnessed and even experienced such jealousy I have to say Scorsese and his crew puts it all over very credibly. Needless to say, such antics don't really endear men to women, and women, I'd imagine, don't enjoy watching it show up in the middle of their "entertainment. "

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 07:21:22 PM »

Reservoir Dogs doesn't have any female roles at all. I have agree that it's a rather manly movie.

What about the distraught woman that shoots Mr. Orange in the stomach?

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 07:31:07 PM »

It's definitely a great film.  A story of guys interacting with each other.  You may be right, the dramatic strength of the film sort of creates an almost universal appeal.

Yeah, it's more about universal values.

Seems (to me) that a movie which has all male roles (or most of them), isn't necessary a ''guys movie'', but a movie that has predominantly female roles tends to be more a ''women thing'' kinda movie.

12 Angry Men deals with types who are only nominally characters (the racist, the flake, the moderator, the go-along, the sorehead, the old coot, the honorable immigrant, the straight arrow, etc.)

This is good Dave, although I don't agree with the second part:

You could re-purpose the scenario with an all female cast (retitled Hen Party) and, with minor changes to the dialog, have pretty much the same film. The movie is largely an intellectual exercise, and women, I hear, have intellects.

Don't think it would work.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 10:13:27 PM »

Raging Bull is a good candidate, though, for the reasons stated above, also its evocation of male sexual jealousy.

Yes.  This is an important point, and theme of the film.  The "courtship", relationship and marriage really have little romance or tenderness as depicted in the film.  Great insight.  Thank you.     

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 07:08:07 AM »

What about the distraught woman that shoots Mr. Orange in the stomach?
Crap. Well, anyway, she has screen time like three seconds Wink

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 07:35:10 AM »

Crap. Well, anyway, she has screen time like three seconds Wink

But the role is very important. Wink

About RB; I'm afraid it isn't brainless enough to be a GG movie. Grin Women can still watch it, they don't have to like it, but they can watch it. A GG movie must be something that 95% of women can't sit through.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »

But the role is very important. Wink
I seem to recall her being ugly. Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »

About RB; I'm afraid it isn't brainless enough to be a GG movie. Grin Women can still watch it, they don't have to like it, but they can watch it. A GG movie must be something that 95% of women can't sit through.
Actually, 95% of guys probably can't sit through it, either. Isn't it an art film? Off the list!

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »

Actually, 95% of guys probably can't sit through it, either. Isn't it an art film? Off the list!

Dang, I didn't see that right uppercut coming. Back to the screening room..... Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »

Saw a great Guy Movie tonight:

Le Salaire de la peur (The Wages of Fear)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »

Hitchcock films are incredibly popular with chicks.
hmmm, i was unaware of that  Undecided

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM