Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:16:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Top 10 guy's Guy Movies
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 guy's Guy Movies  (Read 21947 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »

Yup, that's a good one. The Friedkin remake isn't bad, either.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 11:17:07 PM »

That list is awful.

Where is the Arnold? Where are the Death Wish sequels?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 04:09:38 PM »

Recipe for the Ultimate Guy Movie:

+ Al Pacino as lead
+ Quentin Tarantino as screenwriter
+ Sergio Leone as director
+ revenge as the theme
+ war as the setting

Mix with beer and serve.

Um... no.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »

Pacino's the weak link. He's been a cartoon since Scarface. You need a lead like Coburn, McQueen, Bronson, Eastwood.
EDIT: Also, not everybody enjoys Tarantino (I happen to, but I know many who don't). A safer bet would be Rodriquez (Planet Terror is the acme of guy-ness).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 08:54:55 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 06:45:14 AM »

Jenkins, people who dislike Tarantino are not likely to care for Rodriguez either. Roll Eyes Can't we have Milius or Schraeder as Panache suggests?

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2008, 07:50:55 AM »

Yeah, Pacino wouldn't work in a GG movie.

Speaking of GG movies; I'm gonna watch TGE right now.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06:04 AM »

Jenkins, people who dislike Tarantino are not likely to care for Rodriguez either. Roll Eyes Can't we have Milius or Schraeder as Panache suggests?
Sure, but the general consensus on Grindhouse (not shared by me, mind) was that PT was good but DP tanked, pulled under by a lot of extraneous verbiage. Milius can be good (Schraeder? name me a good Schraeder-directed film), but better track records are held by Hawks, Anthony Mann, John Sturges and especially Robert Aldrich. Aldrich even more than the others tends to make movies guys really go for that leave women cold (DD being the ultimate example of that, but also, I submit, Vera Cruz, Attack, Emperor of the North Pole, The Longest Yard, The Choirboys). Hey, notice what these last 4 directors (plus Peckinpah) have in common? They're all dead. Candy Ass Nation waited them out, then made sure there were none to succeed them. The anti-testosterone crowd have decreed that Steven Soderbergh and Wes Anderson are who we should be watching now. Fanboys and geeks. Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »

We're talking about screenwriting, Jenkins, screenwriting. Not direction. Pay attention.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »

Oops, my bad. So you agree that directors are not the authors of their films?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »

Incidently, guys like to drink beer, not necessarily watch other guys drink beer. Maybe you can get the occasional beer joke into the movie (along the lines of "Beer?"/"Beer"), but otherwise the beer action is gonna be limited to a sphere immediately outside the film. And reversing cars IS cool, but generally any good car chase or stunt with cars is appreciated, especially when a cool car is involved.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2008, 06:49:51 AM »

Oops, my bad. So you agree that directors are not the authors of their films?

There's nothing philosophical going here, Jinkies. I'm just referring to this post by Panache:

Bronson-Mifune-Eastwood-Segal-Coburn-Van Cleef-Lee-Chan-Stallone-Shwatznegger star

Milius-Schrader-Mamet-Hemingway write

Leone-Pecknpah-Seigel-Aldrich direct

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »

If I were the chick to decide these would go through the window, after the Austrian officials in Prague defenestration of 1618; or even better those Czech ones of 1419. Roll Eyes
Instead, I'd put there Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. I'm watching the Granada series now. (In the Blue Carbuncle, he and Watson were to have beer, but then Holmes rushed from the pub after the track, and Watson seemed to be offended, because he had to leave the beer behind. Grin)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 09:51:18 PM »

Did someone mention Cold War thrillers? They kinda tend to be GG movies.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »

If I were the chick to decide these would go through the window, after the Austrian officials in Prague defenestration of 1618; or even better those Czech ones of 1419. Roll Eyes
Instead, I'd put there Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes. I'm watching the Granada series now. (In the Blue Carbuncle, he and Watson were to have beer, but then Holmes rushed from the pub after the track, and Watson seemed to be offended, because he had to leave the beer behind. Grin)
Funnily enough, I watched "The Second Stain" just the other night (hey, marmota, which Watson do you like better, Burke or Hardwick?). I think what you're pointing to isn't so much the Sherlock Holmes series in particular, but series television generally. Chicks love seeing their favorite characters coming around every week or so. Makes 'em feel like they're popular, that they've got lots of friends. Men instinctively know this, which is why they despise series TV (but enjoy one-off things like sporting events, movies-of-the-week, etc.). TV . . . it's definitely for girls.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2008, 12:45:36 AM »

Funnily enough, I watched "The Second Stain" just the other night (hey, marmota, which Watson do you like better, Burke or Hardwick?). I think what you're pointing to isn't so much the Sherlock Holmes series in particular, but series television generally. Chicks love seeing their favorite characters coming around every week or so. Makes 'em feel like they're popular, that they've got lots of friends. Men instinctively know this, which is why they despise series TV (but enjoy one-off things like sporting events, movies-of-the-week, etc.). TV . . . it's definitely for girls.

You might be right... although I think you're going too far with "Makes 'em feel like they're popular, that they've got lots of friends." It doesn't feel quite right to me. The only thing about it might be they they like chatting about it with their real life friends, and that might make them feel they have lots of friends...

I prefer Burke.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM