Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:05:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Would you consider Tuco as....
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you consider Tuco as....  (Read 9557 times)
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:03:05 PM »

the 'funnyman' in the film?  Did SL have intentions of adding humor in the movie when he created the character of Tuco?    I ask this because he seems to be the 'cut-up' or wisecracker throughout the movie.   Just an observation I thought I'd mention and ask you all what you think.   Thanks for your replies.   Wink

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:54:47 AM »

Definitely. I think Tuco is the guy that you can't help but love - even though he is a rat!
For me he steals the film. Van Cleef and Eastwood are excellent of course but Wallach's performance is wonderful. His character is always going to get the sh*t end of the stick and he is generally portrayed as being pretty stupid so I guess making the character funny with a sense of humour brings him out more. It's also much more fun to watch and I love the original overdubbing he did, all those little noises! E.g; when he is waiting for Blondie to tell him the name of the grave or when he is taking a bath!

I always thought of Tuco as the Bad and Angel Eyes as the Ugly mainly because this is how the TV version that I had from years ago portrayed it but in recent years I have learned that it is the other way round. Something that I don't understand? Angel Eyes is far more evil / ugly

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 06:13:26 AM »

Eli Wallach created magic interpreting the role of Tuco, however the roll was originally scripted he brought it uniquely to life, Tuco is another piece in the puzzle that transcended meer movie making to create a masterpiece for all time.

I guess Dirty Rat, you saw one of the original BBC (Buono Brutto Cattivo) version with the fliped title cards "the Good, The Ugly, The Bad,  (with Ugly & Bad flipped), it probably should have been directly translated into English as "The Good, The Brute, and The Evil" but it doesn't sound as good does it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:37:44 AM »

Cigar, that sounds about right. It was taped of the telly by my parents in 1986 I think.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »

Definitely.

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »

. . . it probably should have been directly translated into English as "The Good, The Brute, and The Evil" but it doesn't sound as good does it.
There is no  "and" in Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:37:16 PM »

Wallach did a great job of making Tuco both funny and menacing.  That's not an easy combination; for all his silly stuff, you always knew he'd slit your throat without blinking twice.  Wallach was one of very few (if any) who could've pulled this off, a masterpiece.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »

Wallach did a great job of making Tuco both funny and menacing.  That's not an easy combination; for all his silly stuff, you always knew he'd slit your throat without blinking twice.  Wallach was one of very few (if any) who could've pulled this off, a masterpiece.

Ditto! Afro

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »

I couldn't agree more with you, Cusser.   Wallach was a master with the role of Tuco.  I highly doubt anyone could have topped his performance!  Wink

Helenea
Chicken Thief

I did get off.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »

I couldn't agree more with you, Cusser.   Wallach was a master with the role of Tuco.  I highly doubt anyone could have topped his performance!  Wink

I also couldn't imagine anyone else playing the part except Wallach. Afro

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »

I agree with you as well, Helenea!   Wallach was, is and ALWAYS will be the best actor for that role - hands down!   Cheesy    It's hard to imagine seeing the movie without him; don't think it would have held my interest.

Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 03:38:18 AM »

There's a lot of love in this forum for The Wallach

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »

You hit the nail right on the head, Dirty Rat - AMEN to that - lol.  Cheesy

Angel Eyes Jr.
Chicken Thief

"I'll ask the questions"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 01:04:06 PM »

There is no other actor who could have portrayed Tuco as Wallach did. Most actors would have played him over the top while letting ego get in the way of the character.  Wallach showed no ego...just a lot of confidence in playing the role of Tuco and working with Van Cleef and Estwood.  If the movie was shot today the role of Tuco would have been cast like most of the movies since the late 60's...by looks.  If the actor looks the part then he will be perfect.  If BGU was cast today, then Tuco would be a spanish or Mexican Actor...probably Benicio Del Toro.  Just to stay PC.  And if a HIspanic actor wasn't cast for the role there wouold be protests and the movie would flop both from the bad choice and the bad publicity.
My admiration for his work as Tuco grows with every viewing of the GBU.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »

Wallach should be declared an Honorary Hispanic.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM