Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:40:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Would you consider Tuco as....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would you consider Tuco as....  (Read 9561 times)
Helenea
Chicken Thief

I did get off.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »

Wallach should be declared an Honorary Hispanic.  Afro

Is there such a thing as an award for a "New Yorker Hispanic"Huh? Wink

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »

I totally agree with you, AE Jr.   By today's standards, they would most likely have to find a Mexican actor to portray Tuco, which in my opinion, wouldn't be anywhere's near as close to the portrayal Wallach did.   He mastered that role to a tee and no one else could fill his shoes in that role, no matter how hard they try to find someone even close - won't happen!   I also believe that, if the movie was remade today, it would be a disaster and/or flop - wouldn't match up to the original cast/crew - forget it.  Even all the 'extras' in the movie, such as the drunk Captain that has a great desire to see the bridge blown up or the mens' choir/orchestra at the prison camp.   They were also perfectly chosen for their roles and couldn't be recast by anyone - same with Wallace; no one could top Mario Brega's performance.   I also agree about the protests that would happen today if a Hispanic weren't chosen for the role of Tuco.  Today's society is too 'politically correct' and, to 'modernize' GBU, that would be an insult to the original cast and crew and to Sergio Leone as well.   If they were to remake the movie (doubt they will 'cause it wouldn't be a hit), they would have to remake it using the original scenery, recreating the ghost towns and the war scenes, costumes, etc. in order to stick with the original appearance to keep it somewhat 'close' to the way Sergio Leone created it.   Hopefully, though, they won't remake it 'cause, in my opinion, it wouldn't last a week in the theaters!  I know I won't pay a dime to see it.  I'm a stickler for the original, whether it be a classic sitcom (cast included) or a movie.  Remakes are usually very lame and lose your interest in the first five minutes.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 04:58:44 AM »

I wonder how Tuco comes of in the Spanish language version of the film?
Any Hispanic members who have watched that version fill us in.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 12:39:36 PM »

This is just my opinion, and I don't speak Spanish.  About 10 days ago I was waiting for wife to return home at about 9:15pm so we could watch (on recorded DVD-RW disc) the CSI broadcast earlier that evening (Phoenix).  While tripping through the channels on cable, a Spanish channel had GBU in Spanish (called El Bueno, el Feo, el Malo); I thought the voices for Walalch and Eastwood wre very mediocre.  I saw at Langston Bridge scene, both spoke, had the Gattling gun scene (I know: those weren't invented yet) a minute or so before the captain (wounded) gets carried back.  Anway, there was even a commercial break just after Tuco got to Sad Hill then after commercial he started running.  Love TV !!!

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 01:13:21 PM »

CJ,

Actually, from what I've recently found out, He's Jewish or of Jewish descent, but for the movie role, he could certainly pass as a Hispanic.  He portrayed that role so well that I do agree with your statement, being made an honorary Hispanic - lol.  Cheesy

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »

Yes Jewish, grew up in Brooklyn and had a lot of Italian friends.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 04:43:30 PM »

This is just my opinion, and I don't speak Spanish.  About 10 days ago I was waiting for wife to return home at about 9:15pm so we could watch (on recorded DVD-RW disc) the CSI broadcast earlier that evening (Phoenix).  While tripping through the channels on cable, a Spanish channel had GBU in Spanish (called El Bueno, el Feo, el Malo); I thought the voices for Walalch and Eastwood wre very mediocre.  I saw at Langston Bridge scene, both spoke, had the Gattling gun scene (I know: those weren't invented yet) a minute or so before the captain (wounded) gets carried back.  Anway, there was even a commercial break just after Tuco got to Sad Hill then after commercial he started running.  Love TV !!!

I never knew there was a Spanish version of the movie (I mean, the voices of Wallach, Eastwood, Van Cleef, etc dubbed over) - how interesting - the title in Spanish as well - hmmm...   I think that would bore me to pieces, though, considering I don't understand a bit of Spanish outside of a few words (counting to ten in Spanish and the word 'casa'=house, 'bueno', muchos gracias, etc.).   I enjoy the original - in their OWN voices - lol.  Wink

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 04:45:52 PM »

Is there such a thing as an award for a "New Yorker Hispanic"Huh? Wink

I know - sounds funny, eh?   an award for a "Hispanic New Yorker", though Eli is Jewish - lol.  With the superb work he did portraying the role of Tuco, I think he'd get that award in a 'New York minute' (no pun intended.  Well, maybe just a wee bit - lol).   Cheesy

Angel Eyes Jr.
Chicken Thief

"I'll ask the questions"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 11:36:59 AM »

Not only did he act his way out of a paper bag in the portrayal of a Mexican bandit, he did so while making us believe it was a Mexican from that time period. In much the same way Daniel Day Lewis portrayed an early New Yorker in "The Gangs of New York".  Eli's mannerisms and underlying confidence of a Mexican who enjoys the freedom that the new "West" offers coupled with his lack of "Soul" and detachment for others who play in the same game as the one he's chosen, is what makes his performance so astounding.  You immediately see Eli as "Tuco" and believe Toco is real during the whole movie.  He is the reason, in my opinion, that the GBU movie is 346 times better that FFD and 459 times better that FFDM. Oh yea...and a big reason why GBU is the greatest movie ever made in the entire history of cinema from the dawn of mankind to right this second. Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »

Agreed, you just have to compare his perfomance as a Mexican against fellow New Yorker John Saxon in "The Appaloosa" and "Joe Kidd" and Tony Franciosa's similar non convincing performance in Rio Conchos (which by the way definitely needs a DVD release).

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 06:52:04 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »

Or Steiger in Duck You Sucker or Horst Bucholz in Magnificent Seven.  Tough to tell Bucholz character was even Mexican...

Angel Eyes Jr.
Chicken Thief

"I'll ask the questions"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »

I don't think SL had to much to do with any humor displayed by Wallach.  It was just Wallach understanding the role better than any one else connected with the film...It was a case of Wallach taking the role "and running with it" and that's exactly what he did. Those who think SL had anything to do with Tuco's humor...no nothing about Tuco. Azn

Calamity Jane
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »

I don't think SL had to much to do with any humor displayed by Wallach.  It was just Wallach understanding the role better than any one else connected with the film...It was a case of Wallach taking the role "and running with it" and that's exactly what he did. Those who think SL had anything to do with Tuco's humor...no nothing about Tuco. Azn

Well, if EW was partly (if not completely) responsible for the humorous side of Tuco, he did a fantastic job - don't think he could have even outdone himself in acting out the role.  He portrayed Tuco to the absolute best and no one could have topped his performance.  Like I said, if he had anything to do with the humorous side of Tuco, he did a spectacular job at it!   Afro

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »

One curious thing though that I read in Wallach's book "The Good The Bad And Me" is that Wallach said that if he knew how iconic the film would become he would have played Tuco just a bit differently, though he never says what he meant by that statement.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 11:10:25 PM »

One curious thing though that I read in Wallach's book "The Good The Bad And Me" is that Wallach said that if he knew how iconic the film would become he would have played Tuco just a bit differently, though he never says what he meant by that statement.
He might mean that there's nothing wrong with his performance, but if he had known how huge classic GBU was going to be it would have changed his acting in a way that not necessarily would have have been good (just speculating). The other possibility is that he actually sees something wrong with his performance; but hey, he's an actor Wink

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM