Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:12:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Woodys sawed off Winchester
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woodys sawed off Winchester  (Read 8201 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »

Another good post from imdb.

by dgranger   19 hours ago (Sun Apr 20 2008 00:07:23) 

The whole lever on the rifle and the rifle itself where homages to two different western. The whole beginnin of the movie had little homages to other films being shown to the audience right and left. You just had to know what you were looking at to pick it up. The rifle itself was a homage to Wanted: Dead Or Alive but the lever, the angle at which Strode holds the gun during reloading, the gesture of how he he puts the rounds into the rifle and the fact that strode is not looking at the gun while he does this but at the camera (the stationmaster) instead is a homage to the tv series The Rifleman where the beginning shot shows a rifle with the same lever firing ten rapid shots, I think, and then camera pulls back to show Chuck Connors (the star) holding his rifle at the exact angle during reload that Strode held his in the film while Connors pulls one bullet from his shirt pocket and slides it into the rifle.

here is a video of The Rifleman's openning, and watch the video all the way through to see a close up of the lever. It is the same as on Strode's Sawed Off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX2oZ6Kv_qo

and here is another with another close-up of the lever, but this time with a bolt instead of a block. Rifleman massacre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRZ88WMWQQ

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »

I don't understand how using the same rifle is a homage to the McQueen tv show.  That's like saying Bronson used a gun that John Wayne had used in a previous weapon and that it was meant as a homage.  Sometimes it might just be Leone or a production assistant picking a cool-looking rifle. Grin

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:38:54 PM »

I don't know for sure about the homage part of that myself (Don't know if they had The Rifleman on TV in Italy or even if they had much TV at all) but the close ups of the modification are interesting.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »

That Rifleman homage is a bit of a stretch. I don't even think they aired american tv westerns in Italy (Titoli?).

Although, Corbucci's Johnny Oro is certainly a homage to Paladin from Have gun will travel.
Maybe I just answered my own question...

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 05:05:44 AM »

If they didn't air TV Westerns, I wonder if they didn't possibly do something like they did with the three episodes of Rawhide inter cut with bits of Leone to make "The Magnificent Stranger" film.

They after all did make a Spaghetti Western with Chuck Connors, I'd have to check imdb to see what all Conners did.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »

Found some more info on the "Mares Leg" if barrel is cut down to end of wooden stock barrel would be 12" long.

Check out this video from a Rifleman recreator

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dzJ6nn7ttEE

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:01:37 PM by cigar joe » Logged

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 11:25:38 PM »

i'm reminded of "Mississippi"/ James cann's sawed-off shotgun in el Dorado. 

don't hide arms, get side arms

that look in chuck's eye in the rifleman's intro reminds   me of TMWNN's nod when meeting a protagonist who certainly does not stand a chance. sorry, but don't even think about it. such a look is given to tuco by Blondie just before  angel eye's shows up at sad hill. or jack Elam's shushing the old train station's employee as Elam puts his finger over his mouth. for that matter  all nods and wordless jestures

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:07:27 AM »

Yea,  both "El Dorado" and Dan Duryea in "The Bounty Killers" which I finally happend to catch.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:36:09 AM »

I get a kick out of that shot in the Rifleman recreator video of the modified Winchester and the Bible, lol, but he sure can pop those baloons.

sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 05:06:29 AM »

due to lack of rubio to toss i'd place my money on chuck. he could shoot cock and load before
estaban had the chance to snuff him in the back. fan a rifle. maintaining conections w/ local sheriff yet another added edge. i wouldn't upset his mule

Panache
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 09:21:47 PM »

was tht Sammy Davis in th second vid, i laughed my ass off on tht Grin

cool Rifleman stuff tho- dint remember it being tht violent

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 03:39:25 PM »

Woody's sawed off shot gun homaged Steve McQueen's in the show "Wanted Dead or Alive" which is a great touch.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 04:59:12 PM »

You mean the Mare's Leg? One cool weapon . . .

More info here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_52/ai_n16498974

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:07:19 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM