Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 01:37:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Good The Bad The Ugly - Overrated? (sorry post is a bit long)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Good The Bad The Ugly - Overrated? (sorry post is a bit long)  (Read 3509 times)
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2002, 08:18:42 AM »

I was quite surprised to see just how popular GBU was on this site in comparison to the other two SW's in the Clint/Leone trilogy.  Don't get me wrong, all three are wonderful movies, and destroy any western before that, but i do feel that GBU is slightly overrated by some of Leone's fans on this site.  People seem to argue that GBU’s plot, humour, character development and score are what makes it the classic Leone/Clint spaghetti western.   This I feel is somewhat faulted.  Although all these points are true, Morricone’s score is world renowned now, there is a great deal of humour and the plot is interesting, I feel that the movie has its weaknesses and does not match up to the standard set by For a Few Dollars More.
     Firstly, the score written by Morricone is good, but it does not hold the same suspense or splendour then that of FAFDM, where the mixture of the whistling and soprano singing bring you into such a state of frenzy that anything could be on the screen and it would be exciting.  Secondly I feel that compared to the first two movies the plot in GBU is of a low standard.  yes it is intricate, but this in itself is the downfall of it.  The fact that it twists and turns a few too many times just kills it, it is not too complicated its just too ‘hectic.’  The thing for me that defined its two predecessors was the simplicity and beauty of it, Leone obviously had a large budget to play with, and this I felt led him into bringing in too many characters.  For instance, of what importance to the whole movie is the bridge scene, entertaining yes, but it seems to come out as a pointless jibe at the stupidity of generals over the years.  Thirdly I feel that although funny, the movie’s humour is not as subtle as the movies before, but rather has to incorporate a character who is over the top in cartoonish way funny, Tuco.  Finally and most importantly, is character development.  Stated as one of the main reasons for this movies success.  This I debate seriously, we have three main characters, Blondie, Tuco and Angel Eyes, none of who seem to change dramatically over the whole movie.  Angel Eyes, is not used enough in the movie by Leone, he does not create that same sense of fear that Indio brought in FAFDM or Ramon in Fistful of Dollars, and hardly ever appears a threat to Blondie or Tuco’s chances of getting the money.  Also the development of the friendship between Tuco and Blondie is not nearly as good of that of Manco and Colonel Mortimer, which was very touching and gradual.  Blondie and Tuco leave on the same terms as they first met, as partners but not friends.  

Sorry to have babbled on so long but I just felt that there was no one out there standing up for the criticism of GBU, or the sublimeness of For a Few More Dollars.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2002, 08:19:28 AM by caius » Logged

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 12:42:21 PM »

i can't agree with you but you are right about something, FAFDM is a great film. excellent in fact!

aussiedave
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 04:46:40 AM »

Howdy.

On a lot of points I agree with what you've said, and agree that there are some things that FAFDM offers that "betters" the others. I guess that I lean towards GBU for no other reason than entertainment value alone, in that I've watched ( & wanted to watch again) GBU twice as often as the other 2. Then again, in 10 years time that may have changed.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 02:53:17 PM »

For me its entertainment, in FFOD I smile, in FDM I'm grining, in GBU I'm laughing out loud,  Smiley Grin Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 27, 2002, 02:54:44 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mortimerforever
Gunslinger

when you have to shoot shoot don''''t talk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 06:28:29 AM »

I also like FAFDM but I think I speak for most of us when I say...There are two kinds of people my friend...those who don't like GBU, and those with loaded guns....

Who the hell is that! One bastard goes in another comes out!

tuco ramirez number01 fan.
''''''''two kinds of spurs my friend.''''''''
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 08:26:06 AM »

I disagree with you Caius, I prefere GBU. But you can prefere one of the other...BUT...there is a but..., in fact, you make like us with GBU, you speak about FOFDM, but not about FOD. And, all tastes are in the nature, you can't say one is better; you can say I prefere, but not one is the best of three. And, for me (for us, those who don't have the loaded gun, as said mortimerforever), GBU is the more humoristic, but for me. I accept you disagree, but accept our point of view. I know you didn't want to be bad in your post, but each people thinks what he wants. So, be more nice the next time please: tell us about what you think, not about what you want we to think...

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Lewis Hawk
Bandido

"Creuse..."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 09:03:33 AM »

okay there are defaults in gbu like in every other movies but it can be compared with FAFDM! It's sure a great film too but just see "montage"( i don't remember the word in english... sorry) in FAFDM and you'll see the difference....

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 09:10:43 AM »

the english term is "to edit".

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM