Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 02:48:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Bounty Killer (1965)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Bounty Killer (1965)  (Read 5181 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:06:26 AM »

Well recorded this off TCM the other night and got around to watching it last night & this morning. Directed by Spencer Gordon Benett this is a pretty low buget Western that looks like it. Too many exterior shots were done in the studio & it looks like it. Its bad but bad the way Johnny Guitar is bad. The story is interesting however basically an Eastern Dude from Vermont (Duryea) teams up with (Fuzzy Knight) an ex ship captain (who sailed a prarie "wind wagon" across the Great Plains until it broke down) and they turn into a bounty hunters after a failed payroll roberry where they kill the would be robbers and collect their bounty. Its at first sort of goofy and played tounge in cheek but after Knight gets killed off Duryea goes cold blooded. Its got some twists and turns and even a Spaghetti Western like ending.

Its got Duryea designing a sawed-off double barrel shotgun that he wears in a holster (like Mississippi (James Caan) in El Dorado & like Strode in OUTITW) with a bandoleer gunbelt filled with shot shells).

Its chock full of veteran 30's-40's era Western Stars and even has G.M.  "Broncho Billy" Anderson (from the "Great Train Robbery" (1903) make an apperance.

Duryea is just not very believable tough in the part. His son Peter gets a interesting part in the film.

I'm wondering if Leone & company got the term "Bounty Killers" and a few ideas from this title it came out in 1965 I wonder if it played in Italy.  It would be a good example to show back to bak with For A Few Dollars More  for an interesting comparison.

Dan Duryea ...  Willie Duggans
Rod Cameron ...  Johnny Liam
Audrey Dalton ...  Carole Ridgeway
Richard Arlen ...  Matthew Ridgeway
Buster Crabbe ...  Mike Clayman
Fuzzy Knight ...  Luther
Johnny Mack Brown ...  Sheriff Green
Peter Duryea ...  Youth
Bob Steele ...  Red
Eddie Quillan ...  Pianist
Norman Willis ...  Hank Willis
Edmund Cobb ...  Townsman
Duane Ament ...  Ben Liam
Grady Sutton ...  Minister
Emory Parnell ...  Sam

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 02:14:24 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:26:50 PM »

It was just a weird sort of western, that's the only way I know how to describe it.  Duggan and Luther just decide to merrily go on their way and collect some bounties, peaceable of course.  Yee-haw!  And that wind wagon stuff, too much.  I did like the movie in spite of all those things because it did keep me entertained.  Almost in a so bad it's good way. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:02:19 PM »

Saw parts of this.  Not enough to really be fair I guess.  It did have a low budget feel to it.  Besides the modified shotgun, I found the use of the posters along with the sounds of the shotgun interesting in depicting his bounty spree.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

Its got some twists and turns and even a Spaghetti Western like ending.

No, the ending reminded me of the one of Gunfighter

Its got Duryea designing a sawed-off double barrel shotgun that he wears in a holster (like Mississippi (James Caan) in El Dorado & like Strode in OUTITW) with a bandoleer gunbelt filled with shot shells).

I'm wondering if Leone & company got the term "Bounty Killers" and a few ideas from this title it came out in 1965 I wonder if it played in Italy.  It would be a good example to show back to bak with For A Few Dollars More  for an interesting comparison.

Joe, have you ever seen the McQueen series Wanted?

This is the italian dvd with the original italian release title.

The movie has Duryea miscast and hamming it . A pity. it could have been much better with a younger lead (Eastwood). I give it a 6\10 because I think it has some 2 or 3 interesting  (though far from perfect) scenes.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:22:38 PM »

Yea I remember McQueen's Wanted with his "mares leg" sawed off Winchester.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:54:33 AM »

Yea I remember McQueen's Wanted with his "mares leg" sawed off Winchester.

That series was televised over here in the early '60's. And as this movie seems to be loosely based on that character, it is the McQueen series which might have given some inspiration.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM