Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 12:05:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Robert Ryan
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robert Ryan  (Read 8506 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 12:03:16 PM »

Ryan is one of my favourite noir actors. His acting in the Lang Clash By Night is sublime as well as the fantastic Crossfire.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Tim
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 10:52:55 PM »

Leone Admirer, have you seen "Back from Eternity"?  I caught it a couple years ago on TCM and haven't seen it since, but I really liked it.

Ryan plays the pilot of a plane that crashes in the South American jungle.  What makes the situation interesting is that there is a prisoner/criminal on board played to perfection by Rod Steiger.

Worth looking for if you haven't seen it, amigo.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 11:36:16 PM »

Ryan WAS in a Spaghetti

He was in "A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die ".....& he was quite good...but the only version I've ever found was horribly cut & butchered . 20 minutes was sliced out of it...& what should have been a good movie was just clobbered into less than mediocrity.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 06:34:51 AM »

He was in "A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die ".....& he was quite good...but the only version I've ever found was horribly cut & butchered . 20 minutes was sliced out of it...& what should have been a good movie was just clobbered into less than mediocrity.
I picked up a pan and scan vhs from USA Amazon so i wonder if this is cut too-i did hear something about it missing the ending where Alex Cox gets gunned down instead of riding off a free man!

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 06:50:41 AM »

The back of the DVD claims 118 minutes...but it only runs 98...a lot was chopped..including the ironic ending that you spoke of.  The original ending in the non-English versions (which I can't be 100% sure but I don't believe is available anywhere) has  McCord killed by bounty hunters after riding out of town.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 08:28:16 AM »

Leone Admirer, have you seen "Back from Eternity"?  I caught it a couple years ago on TCM and haven't seen it since, but I really liked it.

Ryan plays the pilot of a plane that crashes in the South American jungle.  What makes the situation interesting is that there is a prisoner/criminal on board played to perfection by Rod Steiger.

Worth looking for if you haven't seen it, amigo.

I believe I have but a long time ago, thanks for reminding me as I think I'm going to have to track it down to see again. Thanks Tim  Smiley

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2006, 10:43:47 AM »

You might be interested to know that Robert Hossein was originally suppose to play Morton but he too was unavailable so Gabriele Ferzetti was cast instead.

Talk about Leone's luck...

Tim
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »

No problem Leone admirer.

As for the bleaker ending of A Minute to Pray, A Second to die, I've never seen it but in the vein of TGS, I think I'd prefer it.  The ending as is now with Cord just riding off into the sunset seems to perfect.

I wonder how soon after the last shot the bleaker ending began.  Are we talking the same tracking shot of him riding along slowly or down the road a bit with a couple different shots? Eh, just nitpicking, but I did enjoy the movie.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 05:42:51 PM »

A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die doesn't really have a bleak ending. Overall the film is bleak but the ending is neutral. You'll see what I mean if you watch the film.

Tim
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 09:48:54 PM »

Well, I meant the alternate ending that is not on the dvd released in the US or the version I caught on A & E a couple years ago.

As is now, the ending is just kind of neutral.  It's not a happy or sad ending, just Cord riding off into the mountains after receiving his amnesty.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »

Well, I meant the alternate ending that is not on the dvd released in the US or the version I caught on A & E a couple years ago.

There's an alternate ending?!? What happens?

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 10:08:52 PM »

There's an alternate ending?!? What happens?

In the original ending in the non-English versions Clay McCord, after receiving his amnesty, gets killed by bounty hunters as he rides out of town.
Ver-r-ry Spaghetti-ish.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 09:03:43 AM »

In the original ending in the non-English versions Clay McCord, after receiving his amnesty, gets killed by bounty hunters as he rides out of town.
Ver-r-ry Spaghetti-ish.

and ironic. Twilight zone-ish even.
Is that ending available anywhere?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Tim
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 06:56:38 PM »

I've never seen the non-english ending, but I'd be interested in seeing it if it's available.  Kind of the similar vein to the ending for The Great Silence.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM