Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 12:17:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Italian DVD Scene Extensions
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Italian DVD Scene Extensions  (Read 16667 times)
Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2003, 12:12:31 PM »

Hi guys, I just received the Italian CVC/Univideo R2/PAL DVD and here's the additions/extensions I noticed!

Waiting for the train:
- Little bit more dialogue (in Italian) from Station Agent to Elam before he's locked up.
- More Murdock shots with the birdcage.
- More Strode with hat filling up
- Elam sitting playing with fly seemed same as always.
- More Murdock cracking fingers (close-up)

When train arrives/three gunmen walk together:
- Tracking Elam P.O.V. shot inspecting down the length of the train while he taps his fingers on his side holster, right before he signals his men to turn away and leave.

Harmonica 'rising from the dead' after getting shot is included.

The McBain killings seem the same.

When Jill's train arrives:
- Longer tracking shot of train passengers leaving and passing cases and bags out the windows until the camera stops and we see Jill's head pop out of the doorway.

Cheyenne's first appearance:
- More reaction shots (2 or 3) of people looking at him while he walks in looking at them after the gunfire outside.
- Shot of Cheyenne looking over at Jill and the wagon driver after taking a drink revealing his handcuffs, he starts to take a second drink and the harmonica is heard.
- 1 shot of Cheyene looking straight at Harmonica after he's revealed, before he walks up to him.
- More reaction shots from people when Cheyenne forces the man to shoot his cuffs off.
- 1 shot of Cheyenne's gang stepping in.

When Jill and Wagon Driver come up on the slain McBains.
- 1 shot of Wagon Driver looking confused along with Jill as they see the group of mourers.

Washing Station:
- When Cheyenne sees that Harmonica is now protecting Jill from the hills with his men his music extends into the following scene where Wobbles is in the wash station and ends when Jill opens the door to confront him about Frank.
- 1 shot of Harmonica watching Woobles walk out of the wash station while Wobbles looks back to see where Jill went right after Jill walks passed Harmonica.

Wooble's Death:
- When he's kicked out of the train by Frank quiet music begins to play and when he sees Cheyenne under the train a guitar plucks the notes of his 'theme'

Cheyenne's train surprise attack:
- Morton noticing the metal Jester chess piece of his desk shaking from the train's movement, it falls over and he quickly grabs it upright so as not to wake Frank's men.    

Jill and Harmonica at the bar:
- When Frank enters his music ends before he sits down and taps his heel down, the music ends right when he taps it down in the international cut.

Harmonica waits for Frank:
- 1 more shot of the railroad workers placing logs down
- When Harmonica sees Cheyenne approach he twists his gun on the pole towards the camera.

The Duel:
- When we see the young Frank walking towards the camera we can much clearly see who it is from the beginning, instead of him being darkened until he gets right up on the camera.
- A jarring cut in the music as Frank is looking at the young Harmonica
- When Frank is stumbling forward from being shot with the blue sky above him, the broken harmonica 'Death Rattle' plays throughout, instead of just when the harmonica is placed in his mouth and he looks into dead space.

Okay, I'm sure there's more and I haven't watched absolutely all of it but there are definitely many alterations!

Very cool!  Grin        

« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 12:30:08 PM by Jayson Kennedy » Logged

(one of) moderator: www.dvdaficionado.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 10:34:02 AM »

Does that DVD include the scene with Morton's toy figure falling over (Morton grabs it, tied-up Harmonica watches) ?  I've seen the quicktime file, to Morton's music, and have the file saved (2.4MB) but don't know how to attach it.

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 02:40:24 AM »

Does that DVD include the scene with Morton's toy figure falling over (Morton grabs it, tied-up Harmonica watches) ?  I've seen the quicktime file, to Morton's music, and have the file saved (2.4MB) but don't know how to attach it.

"Cheyenne's train surprise attack:
- Morton noticing the metal Jester chess piece of his desk shaking from the train's movement, it falls over and he quickly grabs it upright so as not to wake Frank's men."

I think the above part is the bit with Morton's toy figure.

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 02:47:35 AM »

Hi guys, I just received the Italian CVC/Univideo R2/PAL DVD and here's the additions/extensions I noticed!

Thank you for the additions!The Italian DVD seems to have the longest version of the movie.

BTW,how long is the Italian version?I think the non-Italian Euro-version is 159 minutes.

Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 08:54:11 AM »

BTW,how long is the Italian version?I think the non-Italian Euro-version is 159 minutes.

Sorry for the delay, it's 171 Minutes. Remember that if your referring to the new Euro DVD versions they're 158 minutes in PAL due to speed up, regular "international" 165 minutes in native NTSC frame rate. Meaning all the  new Paramount DVDs are the same version.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 08:57:39 AM by Jayson Kennedy » Logged

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 10:39:38 AM »

To be precise,the new Euro DVD version is 159 minutes(it says so on the back cover).I know that all the new Paramount DVD's are the same version due to the infamous PAL speed-up.

But the Italian PAL version is 171 minutes,then,so it is 12 minutes longer than the Paramount version.

Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 02:47:03 PM »

To be precise,the new Euro DVD version is 159 minutes(it says so on the back cover).I know that all the new Paramount DVD's are the same version due to the infamous PAL speed-up.

But the Italian PAL version is 171 minutes,then,so it is 12 minutes longer than the Paramount version.

It isn't exactly 'correct' when speaking of a film that was intended for NTSC frame rate. The film is properly timed in it, making even the european DVD run 165 minutes if it didn't speed up from the different process.  

« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 02:47:55 PM by Jayson Kennedy » Logged

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 02:02:42 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you're after,but if you mean that the Euro version is the same as the US version,then yes,you're right.The Euro version is also the "165" minutes version.It would run 165 minutes without the speed-up.

But with the speed-up it is 159 minutes.Right?

Jayson Kennedy
Bandido

Le tueur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 05:01:20 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you're after,but if you mean that the Euro version is the same as the US version,then yes,you're right.The Euro version is also the "165" minutes version.It would run 165 minutes without the speed-up.

But with the speed-up it is 159 minutes.Right?

Yes, PAL and NTSC television standards run at different frequencies. PAL runs slightly faster to NTSC. So all PAL encoded material may have shorter times but it's really the same. It's not very noticable when actually watching PAL though.  

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 06:06:24 AM »

You're right.I've never noticed the speed-up with Pal.But I've never understood how Pal exactly runs faster and how it shows in the film.It's certainly not any "fast forward" speed-up.I think only an expert would notice the Pal speed-up.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 01:01:52 AM »

Some people have claimed that you can hear a difference in the actors' voices under PAL speed up.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 05:04:33 PM »

The voice change is often corrected with Pitch Change. Often you won't notice it but watch a NTSC Simpsons episode and then a PAL episode (both in the same language of course) and you should notice the difference.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 04:44:04 AM »

Some people have claimed that you can hear a difference in the actors' voices under PAL speed up.
I've also noticed from my Region 2 DVD's that in comparison to my CD's,Morricones scores  to DYS,FOD and FAFDM sound slightly hurried and of a higher pitch because of this PAL speed-up.I have the Region 1 DVD versions of both GBU and UOATITW and i don't have any problem whatsoever with the soundtrack in these cases.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 10:05:51 AM »

Does the italian dvd have the complete finale music playing over the end credits? Many purists were upset that Paramount did not fix this when they were doing the restoration. There was a major article about this in an issue of Video Watchdog(I have the issue somewhere)and Paramount has since been made aware of the screw up. Don't know if the problem has been fixed though.

Ratboy
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 09:17:47 PM »

Wait, wait, wait, wait! There's a new longer cut of the film? This is the first I've heard of it. Please, tell me more. Will it be coming to Region 1? Does an English soundtrack exist? When was the additional footage added (or removed)?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM