Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 05:45:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Why does this movie fair so poorly with audiences?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does this movie fair so poorly with audiences?  (Read 30016 times)
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 12:21:44 AM »

i repeat: because it isnt very good
the story just doesnt cut it
if only he had stuck to the story of immigrant jews, told so masterfully in the childhood sections, instead of his half-baked gangster soap opera.....
sigh Sad

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 01:29:26 AM »

Again.

Even if Woods' mug got on the news, wasn't Noodles pretty convinced Max had died in that fire?
I think he'd write Bailey off as a look alike.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 04:06:42 AM »

true

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »

I must be Jonathan Livingston.
Seagull?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »

Seagull?

Who else.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »

I guess some people have the patience to watch lengthy movies like this. For me, this is one of the ones that can pull it off, there are some like Lawrence Of Arabia which struggle to keep me entertained with their length.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2013, 02:40:37 AM »

OUTA was comparatively successful in Germany in the uncut version. The # 9 of that year. Sold more tickets than Romancing the Stone or Footloose, much more than Dune.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »

OUTA was comparatively successful in Germany in the uncut version. The # 9 of that year. Sold more tickets than Romancing the Stone or Footloose, much more than Dune.
Thank you for that. I've never liked the premise of this thread. It assumes a fact not in evidence.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »

I've never liked the premise of this thread. It assumes a fact not in evidence.

I agree with you. The opening post, by some dumbass who is happily no longer with the board, can basically be summed up with 'I have no intention of watching this movie cuz of it's "gloomy length" and the fact that I read reviews of people that people don't like it, and that cihgar joe says he prefers other Leone movies to this.  Roll Eyes

Sure, the butchered version of OUATIA did awful with audiences -- as it well should have -- but by now, now that the 229 minute version is widely available, it has an incredible following. (For whatever it's worth: imdb users have rated it the 78th greatest movie ever, making it imdb's the third most popular Leone movie [behind GBU and OUATITW]. There has been significant interest from around the world in the new restoration; and, for some anecdotal evidence, one of the ushers at Film Forum told me it was packed all week when it showed twice a day in December; and that was not even the new version; it was the 229-minute version available on dvd and blu ray.

Of course, it's a travesty what happened to OUATIA upon its initial American release. But for someone to state that 'this movie fair so poorly with audiences,' that's simply wrong, by any barometer.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 09:43:32 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »

i repeat: because it isnt very good
the story just doesnt cut it
if only he had stuck to the story of immigrant jews, told so masterfully in the childhood sections, instead of his half-baked gangster soap opera.....
sigh Sad

It's true that the scenes of the Jewish Lower East Side in OUATIA are amazing, and the greatest of any movie that has ever attempted to depict that. But this is not a story about immigrant jews. (It's not the Jewish equivalent of The Godfather Part II. In fact, to the extent that the Jewish stuff is mentioned, it's mentioned in the context of the kids breaking away from the traditions of their parents, as is evident in a deleted scene where Noodles is seen rejecting his parents' religion, expounding upon his earlier mocking of "my old man is praying...". By the time the gang is grown up, the fact that they are children of Jewish immigrants is not very important to the movie).

This movie is a story about gangsters, and a gangster returning to his old neighborhood, as far as the literal plot goes. On the deeper, thematic level, it's a movie about Time, Dreams, Cinema, etc. It is simply not a movie about the story of immigrant Jews (or, more precisely, immigrant Jews' children).

Of course, you may believe that the childhood scenes are the best, and that the later scenes aren't nearly as good. That's a matter of opinion. (I believe, though I am not certain, that Elizabeth McGovern said in in an interview something about how the magic of those childhood scenes wasn't captured in the later scenes; maybe she agrees with you).
But saying you wish the movie "had stuck to the story of immigrant Jews," is saying you wish this had been a completely different movie. This movie was never a story about the lives of immigrant Jews. There are a million and one other movies about poor children growing up on the Lower East Side, but this is not one of them.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

It's true that the scenes of the Jewish Lower East Side in OUATIA are amazing, and the greatest of any movie that has ever attempted to depict that. But this is not a story about immigrant jews. (It's not the Jewish equivalent of The Godfather Part II. In fact, to the extent that the Jewish stuff is mentioned, it's mentioned in the context of the kids breaking away from the traditions of their parents, as is evident in a deleted scene where Noodles is seen rejecting his parents' religion, expounding upon his earlier mocking of "my old man is praying...". By the time the gang is grown up, the fact that they are children of Jewish immigrants is not very important to the movie).
This is actually a really, really good point.  Afro  Btw, where did Ebert say this?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »

I've never liked the premise of this thread.
Which is not even to mention the fact that the wrong "fair/fare" is used.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM