Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:20:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Australia (2008)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Australia (2008)  (Read 19198 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »

I read mention of that, but I don't see how it signifies. Unless I wanted to make the one-turkey-borrows-from-another argument, which I guess I could. It just seems that there are better points to argue.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »

There was a thread on IMDB not long ago listing the variety of direct references to other films in this one. Some were more obvious than others - the Red River analogues were pretty obvious, and Jenkins' LOTR parallels are quite interesting as well.

Also noted were nods to:

- OUATITW - the look of Faraway Downs seems clearly inspired by a bizarre mix of Sweetwater and Cattle Croner (particularly the wind mill and water tower), also Sarah arriving to find her husband murdered and the funeral. Also King Carney trying to convince her to marry him in order to take her land put me in mind of the Frank-Jill scene.
- The Dollars Trilogy - definitely Drover's intro was intended to be Eastwood-esque
- The Cowboys - the stampede scene and Fletcher's gang tracking our heroes
- Lawrence of Arabia - having to cross the "Never-never Land" to get to Darwin
- The Searchers - a shot of Kidman on the porch waiting for Drover to come back
- Gone With the Wind - the shots of Faraway Downs in full bloom, plus the scenes at the fund raiser
- Walkabout - Obvious I hope.

Jenkins argued for the death of Drover's assistant equalling the end of The Sand Pebbles, but quite frankly I thought that was such a generic scenario I'm not sure I buy the equivalence.

I'm just going from memory. I'm merely pointing these out, not necessarily arguing they mean the film was good. Feel free to add any I'm missing.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:37:58 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »

Decided to rewatch this movie today to get the bad taste of Twilight out of my mouth (and no Jenkins, Slumdog Millionaire wasn't playing anywhere nearby Roll Eyes). Here's my second impression:

I think I enjoyed the film roughly the same, so I'm keeping my nine rating. There weren't any real flaws or problems that I noticed that I hadn't noticed the first viewing, a few additional observations though.

I have to say, in line somewhat with Jenkins' comments, I enjoyed the first half a lot more in the second viewing than the first. Perhaps becomes I knew what to expect, unlike last time where I was expecting a straight historical drama and the almost-parodic scenes at the beginning threw me off. I had a much stronger reaction to the cattle stampede, and I found Nicole Kidman far more amusing than I did last time, when she mostly annoyed me (her reaction to the roo being shot had me rolling in the aisles, I must admit). I definitely think I was inured to the King George/magical realism aspects of the story, which kind of bothered me the first time but today I didn't mind at all, knowing now they were integral to the story; I apparently missed the scene where he guides them through the "Never-Never" last viewing and it added a good deal IMO, showing that George was a character and not just a symbol.

I did think the second half dragged a bit but nothing fatal. My only real problem is that the scenes after the Darwin bombing seem a bit arbitrary and drawn-out; other than the arrival of the mission children in the harbor there isn't much of cinematic value here. I liked the fate of Fletcher a lot more this time around, although I still think a tragic ending would have worked better (wouldn't it have been novel if Kidman had died and Jackman lived?). I was a mite annoyed knowing what was going to happen, how they set up all three leads as possibly dead only to pull back and say "Oops - just joking!"

However, I still loved it, perhaps even more than the first time around. I just think it's hideous that I've paid $11 for two matinee screenings of this movie and $10 for one show of Twilight, which was shit.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:29:52 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »

Fox has given up on the film in R1 and announced the DVD/BRD release for 3 March:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/69821/australia-r1us-bd-in-march.html

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Whalestoe
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »

Fox has given up on the film in R1 and announced the DVD/BRD release for 3 March:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/69821/australia-r1us-bd-in-march.html

Wasn't this movie a commercial failure over here in the States?

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2009, 12:32:04 PM »

Yeah basically. I don't know the exact numbes off hand but it didn't do well here. Huge, long epic's don't necessarily do all that great anymore here. Most of the movie-going crowd is young and out of touch with an old-school type EPIC like "Australia" which is sad.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
ShortFuse
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2009, 12:49:49 PM »

It's a failure all alright

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=australia.htm

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »

More reason to put it out faster and make more money.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »

Well, at least I'll get this faster on DVD so that makes me happy.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM