Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:16:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hidalgo (2004)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hidalgo (2004)  (Read 2097 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »

I'll start off by saying, there are plenty of "film snobs" here on the Leone Forums, so I know, there won't be that many fans of this here. However, I liked it, and I'm not affraid to admit it.

I've put off watching this film for the longest time because of it's mixed reviews upon it's release in 2004. It's been on the HDNet channell recently and I DVR'd it. I watched it last night and I gotta say, I'm extremely pissed off I not only didn't see it the last 4 years, but didn't get the opportunity to view it on the big screen.

I personally think it plays out like an old-fashioned adventure film straight out of the 1960's. If this film was made back then, I think it would have had many more positives reviews. I thought Viggo Mortensen was wonderful in the lead role as Frank Hopkins.

For those of you who are not familiar with the plot of the film, here it goes: Set in 1890, this is the story of a Pony Express courier (Viggo Mortensen) who travels to Arabia to compete with his horse, Hidalgo, in a dangerous race for a massive contest prize, in an adventure that sends the pair around the world.

Here we get great visuals, a beautiful musical score by James Newton Howard, great adventure action, and an epic quality feel, which I love! I view this as highly underrated.

Note: Film legend Omar Sharif also stars.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »

As far as I remember the trailer didn't look spectacular and as you said there have been mixed reviews (actually I caught mostly the bad ones) so I never had any big urge to see it. But I'll check it out if it happens to be on the telly some time.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 02:22:47 PM »

Hidalgo (2004) 7.5/10

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 02:31:26 PM »

Tuc, I was reading somewhere that Mortensen is in Ed Harris' new film which is a western based upon Robert Parker's novel Appaloosa.  Viggo has a website with actual pictures, stills from the film.  Not sure what the status of the film is though.  I'm not familiar with the novel to know what kind of story or western it is. 

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »

Tuc, I was reading somewhere that Mortensen is in Ed Harris' new film which is a western based upon Robert Parker's novel Appaloosa.  Viggo has a website with actual pictures, stills from the film.  Not sure what the status of the film is though.  I'm not familiar with the novel to know what kind of story or western it is. 

Hey, Noodles! Yeah, I've been familiar with the Ed Harris, directed western starring Viggo. I remember when Viggo was filming the movie, he was on Letterman performoting another film. He had quite a cool looking mustache which you will see in the film, whenever it's released. Hopefully, it's a good one.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »

Okay, here we go:

I personally think it plays out like an old-fashioned adventure film straight out of the 1960's. If this film was made back then, I think it would have had many more positives reviews. I thought Viggo Mortensen was wonderful in the lead role as Frank Hopkins.

This is absolutely true.

But then again so is this:

Consensus (on Rotten Tomatoes): The scenery looks great, but this overstuffed horse story contains too much cheese.

It isn't the most enjoyable and exciting adventure I saw in my life, but it is entertaining in a predictable, laid-back, see-the-first-10 minutes-and-you've-figured-it-all, family-around-the-campfire way.

6.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM