Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 20, 2019, 06:13:23 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Clint Eastwood: The Mule
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Clint Eastwood: The Mule  ( 604 )
LITTLE BIG MAN
Gunslinger

« : October 23, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N_QksSzK7sI

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mule_(2018_film)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : October 23, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »

Heard about it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #2 : October 24, 2018, 12:55:33 AM »

oh great... thanks for the link...

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #3 : January 01, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »

We saw "The Mule" last night, very good.

Only thing I would've added would've been while Clint was driving his truck and scanning through radio stations, I would've had Spaghetti Western music come on for a few seconds, and Clint saying "not that" and then switching to another station.  I think that would've been a great joke.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #4 : January 01, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »

I DVR'd an episode of Death Valley Days from 1956 called "The Last Letter" because it listed Clint Eastwood 2nd billing.  He played a down on his luck prospector, and had long sideburns and a mustache, but no beard.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : January 01, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #6 : February 14, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »

I saw the movie, (in a nice theater in Lyon, France. I enjoyed the English audio while Miss France occasionally made use of the French subtitles; her English is pretty good  :)

The movie is alright. I give it a 7/10. It is not up to Eastwood's usual standard of greatness. And I think what it's missing is that the story simply does not have enough material to maintain a 115 minutes of running time. The stuff with the family squabbling, whatever.

There was a similar problem with another recent Eastwood film, Sully the plane's emergency landing is handled very well; the other crap, with the subsequent investigation, is not very good. There's just not enough material to fill a movie there.

Bradley Cooper delivered what IMO is one of the greatest acting performances of all time in Eastwood's American Sniper. (I don't give a damn what you think of the movie politically Cooper's performance was incredible.) In this movie his character is not given much room to do anything, just keep begging his superior for more time to make the big bust.

This movie is decent. With Eastwood, I get disappointed when a movie is not great.

BTW, here is the NY Times Magazine article on which the movie was inspired/based

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/15/magazine/the-sinaloa-cartels-90-year-old-drug-mule.html

In that link is video of the actual big drug bust.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moorman
Gunslinger

« #7 : February 15, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »

I recently saw Robert Redford's " The Old Man and the Gun " and it was probably worst than " The Mule".   It had more material to work with too but it wasn't well done.   I rate it a 5 out of 10...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : February 16, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »

I recently saw Robert Redford's " The Old Man and the Gun " and it was probably worst than " The Mule".   It had more material to work with too but it wasn't well done.   I rate it a 5 out of 10...

Thanks, Just watched the video in the link.

« : February 16, 2019, 03:26:12 PM cigar joe »

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #9 : February 17, 2019, 03:14:16 PM »

saw THE MULE this evening, really good, as expected. Andy Garcia was a scene stealer, nice Leone injoke, fine family drama, coolness all over the place... just great he can still do it at 88!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #10 : February 17, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »

saw THE MULE this evening, really good, as expected. Andy Garcia was a scene stealer, nice Leone injoke, fine family drama, coolness all over the place... just great he can still do it at 88!

what was the Leone injoke?

the fact that you call it a "family drama" is its biggest problem IMO: the interesting scenes are the scenes about him being a mule, not the scenes with his family.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #11 : February 18, 2019, 01:14:52 AM »

I'm all for drama. All around me I see family problems so it's great to see them portrayed on the big screen as they are - not that easy to solve. Also it was great to see him act alongside his daughter, and Dianne Wiest... nothing to add here. The Leone bit was in one of those scenes, that's why you probably missed it :).  (dying Wiest asks Clint how he made that much money. "Bounty hunter?" he replies)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #12 : February 18, 2019, 08:11:34 AM »

I'm all for drama. All around me I see family problems so it's great to see them portrayed on the big screen as they are - not that easy to solve. Also it was great to see him act alongside his daughter, and Dianne Wiest... nothing to add here. The Leone bit was in one of those scenes, that's why you probably missed it :).  (dying Wiest asks Clint how he made that much money. "Bounty hunter?" he replies)

Oh right yes, I remember the bounty hunter bit. I definitely laughed out loud in the theater!  ;D

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines