Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:14:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hud (1963)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hud (1963)  (Read 14883 times)
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 09:16:30 AM »

not a western. where do you draw the line. the story takes place in the present day west w/ present day cowboys.   the heavy is the foot and mouth disease hud's father finds. of course hud warns his father not to let this get out, but the father takes a dim view of hud " you're a unprincipled man hud " then tells the government vet the awful truth that he will have to shoot all his herd.  the way the old man's cow's are done away with is much like the jews in Nazi death camps. that is they're taken into a mas grave and shot until the last cow is standing. very gut wrenching scene. the old man suffers a heart attach from seeing his herd  gone but there's oil under the bannon property hud wants to get his greasy little mit's on. hud's question to his father is where he finally

hud shows up at the bus station to apologize to Patricia Neal. " i don't usually get that rough w/ my women, of course i don't usually have to. i guess you're the one who got away".

i agree. this definitely is not a western. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 02:02:42 PM »

hud shows up at the bus station to apologize to Patricia Neal. " i don't usually get that rough w/ my women, of course i don't usually have to. i guess you're the one who got away".
It's entirely self-serving, in no way a true apology. Look at the expression on Neal's face as he says it. She's the conscience of the film, and she calls Hud on his lack of character. Hud is a dud.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
sargatanas
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 08:07:46 PM »

It's entirely self-serving, in no way a true apology. Look at the expression on Neal's face as he says it. She's the conscience of the film, and she calls Hud on his lack of character. Hud is a dud.
it was hud who was drunk at the wheel in the car crash that killed his father's brother.  hud's nephew lon admires hud's cheating ways. he soon becomes aware of hud's recklessness.

You don't care about people Hud. You don't give a damn about 'em. Oh, you got all that charm goin' for ya. And it makes the youngsters want to be like ya. That's the shame of it because you don't value anything. You don't respect nothing. You keep no check on your appetites at all. You live just for yourself. And that makes you not fit to live with.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »

Hud is a dud.
I'm all for opinions and everything, but that is literally a false statement.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »

I was of course speaking of the character. The movie is great, a personal fave.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »

I was of course speaking of the character. The movie is great, a personal fave.
Oh, lol,  TB was telling me how you hated the movie.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

Oh, lol,  TB was telling me how you hated the movie.

haha, I thought he did hate the movie.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 03:43:25 PM »

I just watched this, finally for the first time. This is one of the essential Paul Newman performances not to be missed.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »

While I believe there are movies that fit under the umbrella term ''Modern-day Western'', I don't think Hud qualifies. Sure, there are obvious connections to the Western genre, but the movie is really a drama. The ''Western cowboyish feel'' is there I think just to deepen the characters and their emotions.

Hud is nevertheless such a wonderful and sincere movie with great performances from all the main actors. Melvyn Douglas being the best, of course.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »

Quite the contrary, as I think that the only western element in this movie is Newman's Stetson.

Don't forget he was shooting vultures with his rifle Wink Cheesy

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »

While I believe there are movies that fit under the umbrella term ''Modern-day Western'', I don't think Hud qualifies. Sure, there are obvious connections to the Western genre, but the movie is really a drama. The ''Western cowboyish feel'' is there I think just to deepen the characters and their emotions.
You've made an excellent case for moving this thread out of the section. Cal!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 01:18:54 PM »

I've watched again this after so many decades, first time undubbed and on a big screen. Excellent drama, as said here repeatedly. I think Neal fully  earned her Oscar. Newman doesn't convince me: too small for the part and his face never conveys the meanness of the character. And I'm not so enthusiastica about Douglas either: he doesn't exhibit a southern drawl (does he?) and adds nothing to the part, nothing memorable. I would have given the Oscar (hear, hear) to DeWilde instead. Anyway a very good movie. 8\10 (This movie was usually shown, in the early '70s on tv in the morning with The Flim-Flam Man: I have always associated the two movies though they have nothing to do with each other).

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 11:16:36 PM »

Just saw the movie for the first time (on dvd); I give it an 8/10. (Does anyone else think the image was a bit vertically stretched, the faces may be too tall and skinny?)

For me, the movie succeeds most in its simplest scenes, and fails when it tries to reach too deep for the Freudian stuff. Maybe I didn't get it all. I probably didn't; it was definitely a transitional time in American history and movies. But IMO it reached for something that wasn't there or which it couldn't attain with all the deep stuff, but when it came to the stuff that could simply be enjoyed in the surface, it was beautiful. That scene with Newman and Neal, with the dialogue talking about scratching her itch, that was such a brilliant scene, comparable to the scene with Lee Marvin and Randolph Scott in  the wagon in Seven Men from Now. All the scenes with Neal and Newman, and Neal and de Wilde, and Melvyn Douglas was great, the simple joy of the sing-along to My Darling Clementine in the theater... For me, the movie maybe was trying too hard to reach somewhere deep that it may not have succeeded in, but there is much to enjoy.

Here is a  nice review by Michael Mirasol http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-correspondents/a-man-with-inklings-of-a-soul

Mirasol says Newman was surprised that so many viewers sympathized with Hud rather than thinking of him as a villain. Well, I agree with Newman; whatever sympathy I had for Hud was long gone by the end of the movie; I totally consider him a villain here. I don't care what sort of daddy issues he has, there's no excuse for a 34-year old man to be doing what he is.

btw, has anyone scene a 1962 movie called All Fall Down? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055738/?ref_=sr_1   It's also with Brandon de Wilde, and  certain aspects of the story are similar to Hud

p.s. as for whether or not it's a Western; for me, I don't count "contemporary Westerns," it's basically Civil War till Mexican Revolution and that's that. I suppose that if you wanted to count contemporary Westerns, you could count a movie like Lonely are the Brave, which is specifically about a modern-day Western character, but a movie like Hud really could have taken place anywhere; substitute any small town, substitute a man who lost a business other than animals (maybe his factory was forced to close or whatever); if you're gonna call Hud a Western, you can pretty much call any movie that takes place in Texas a Western, regardless of time period...

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:22:00 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 03:01:25 AM »

Films like Lonely Are the Brave, Junior Bonner or Hud are post-westerns. They tell what happens to modern cowboys.

I don't think that Hud is a villain. He is an ambivalent guy. And that makes him fascinating, especially when portrayed by a likeable and charismatic actor like Newman.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 05:01:26 AM »

Films like Lonely Are the Brave, Junior Bonner or Hud are post-westerns. They tell what happens to modern cowboys.

I don't think that Hud is a villain. He is an ambivalent guy. And that makes him fascinating, especially when portrayed by a likeable and charismatic actor like Newman.

well, it's a general fact that viewers tend to root for the main character of a movie, period, even when he is not a good guy, and especially if he is a famous actor like Newman.

And you can excuse something here or there that he has done, but by the end of it, you realize he is just an unlikeable bastard.

Let's see: Hud's drunk driving killed his brother (normally, I'd consider that no different than I'd consider any murderer, but his brother presumably knew Hud was drunk and therefore accepted the risks; so maybe it ain't like a typical murder, but it's pretty damn bad). He drinks all day long and unashamedly goes after married women (something many movie heroes do; in and of itself, it wouldn't make you hate him all that much); he is generally a rude, nasty son of a bitch; he is about to rape a woman if she wasn't saved by his nephew; he is a mean bastard to his nephew who never did anything wrong to him, in fact he idolizes him; he is a dishonest person who wants to sell diseased cattle, thereby cheating the buyer and risking starting a cattle epidemic; and he conspires to steal his father's farm from him.

Now, what does Hud have that makes him sympathetic -- I mean the character, not considering that it's played by the famous sexy lovable Paul Newman -- well, he's misunderstood and has daddy issues. His father has never been nice to him.  Cry Cry Cry Well I'm sorry, that's truly an awful thing to have to go through, but you know what, at 34 years old, that's no excuse to be such a bastard to everyone else. At most, that excuses his actions toward his father, but that's all. His attempted rape of a woman is not in any way mitigated by any of his daddy issues.

So yeah, in my book Hud is a bad person, a character worthy only of the audience's contempt. Certainly not all along -- it takes a lot to hate a Paul Newman character, and a while to realize the full extent of his evilness, but yeah, by the end of the movie, Hud is, in my book, an unmitigated, unsympathetic villain. Even if he is played by Paul Newman and fun to watch.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:04:13 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM