Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:17:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Julie Cohen (Young Peggy) posted a comment on youtube
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Julie Cohen (Young Peggy) posted a comment on youtube  (Read 28854 times)
Jewels
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

Oh, and I think that's him second from the right in the group photo.

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:45:22 PM »

That's him!
Seeing his face, I totally remember him.
Is he credited as "Dialogue Coach" ?

In the famous staircase scene (Patsy & the charlotte russe) they shot it MOS (without sound) probably because Leone knew it would be set to music.
Leone talked Brian Bloom through every step of that scene, timing it exactly how he wanted it - "Now unwrap it, now look to the door, now lick the paper"
I mean SO specific! Leone was saying all this in Italian and Brian Freilino was translating every step of the way.

Thanks Jewels - yes he's listed as Dialogue Director.

Thanks also for the great Info on the Charlotte Russe scene - amazing - OMG to think that you were there watching that beautiful scene being filmed - just amazing.

Jewels here are a few extra questions - hope you don't mind.

What was it like working with the Italian crew? 

Are you still in contact with any of the other actors?

What are your memories of Cinecitta in Rome?

What are your memories of the Williamsburg Brooklyn shoot?

Do you have any photographic memories from the shoot - that you would be able to post?  Hope you dont think I'm  being forward Embarrassed

Looking forward to your reply  Smiley

Regards the Italian crew question.   James Woods tells a really funny story about one of the grips (Augusto Diamanti).   It was in Woods final scene with De Niro (as old men) at the at the Secretary Bailey Mansion.  In the scene (where De Niro has just left) Leone explained that for the scene the camera was going to dolly in on Woods face and at the last moment we would see a tear run down his face.  Anyway Woods psyched himself up for the scene - Morricone's haunting music was playing on the set - Leone shouted action - the camera slowly dollied up the ramp towards Woods - Woods felt the tears starting to well up inside -  but just then he noticed something out of the corner of his eye - he noticed  Augusto crouched at the side of  the camera WITH  A WHITE  PILLOW (EYES CUT OUT) OVER HIS HEAD!  Woods said "I nearly jumped out of my skin" and that "Augusto looked like something out of the KKK in Birth Of A Nation"!  When he asked him"what the hell was he doing"?  He said "sorry Jimmy I didn't want to intrude on your performance"!  Grin Grin Grin

Anyway James Woods thought the crew were brilliant.

Jewels
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 01:15:51 AM »

Do you have any photographic memories from the shoot - that you would be able to post?  Hope you dont think I'm  being forward Embarrassed

Regards the Italian crew question.   James Woods tells a really funny story about one of the grips (Augusto Diamanti).   It was in Woods final scene with De Niro (as old men) at the at the Secretary Bailey Mansion.  In the scene (where De Niro has just left) Leone explained that for the scene the camera was going to dolly in on Woods face and at the last moment we would see a tear run down his face.  Anyway Woods psyched himself up for the scene - Morricone's haunting music was playing on the set - Leone shouted action - the camera slowly dollied up the ramp towards Woods - Woods felt the tears starting to well up inside -  but just then he noticed something out of the corner of his eye - he noticed  Augusto crouched at the side of  the camera WITH  A WHITE  PILLOW (EYES CUT OUT) OVER HIS HEAD!  Woods said "I nearly jumped out of my skin" and that "Augusto looked like something out of the KKK in Birth Of A Nation"!  When he asked him"what the hell was he doing"?  He said "sorry Jimmy I didn't want to intrude on your performance"!  Grin Grin Grin

[/quote]

I have to agree with James Woods, the crew was amazing!
When we shot the bathtub scene, I was nervous about being naked around all those Italian men.
They were so wonderful,very protective of me and completely respectful. One of the wardrobe people kept ironing a bathrobe for me so in between takes, I was wrapped in a warm bathrobe! How's that for star treatment?
My favorite person on the crew was Tonino Dellicolli (DP) incredibly sweet and funny and ....tiny! Like a little elf. I think he liked me because I'm small, too.
I still have this little button he gave me, it has a picture of puckered lips and it says "Baci" - kiss. He gave them out to everyone, it was his little gesture. Such a great talent and so great to work with.

I'm not in touch with any of the actors, I ran into Brian Bloom a couple of years ago here in LA and it was great to see him again. He did a soap for a long time and  now you can see him in a Cadillac commercial. We had a great talk, neither one of us knew how important the film and that staircase scene would become over the years. He's incredibly handsome, those eyes! Adrian Curran and I dated for a little while in Rome and after we got back to NYC. He was a drummer, wonder where he is now?

Memories of Cinecitta are great, it really was like a city. I would go and watch filming on the days I wasn't working and just soak up the atmosphere.
Around 4 in the afternoon, when everyone was getting a little tired, they'd come around with hot crispy bread and espresso for a little pick me up.
It was a family feeling on the set, people were always going to restaurants together and talking about things to do on our days off.  Someone on the crew
(I wish I could remember who!) loaned me a Vespa scooter so I could boogie around Rome.
I got friendly with an American an actor working on the film as one of Bugsy's thugs - Scott Coffey. He was living in Rome and working at Cinecitta quite often as an extra and in bit parts. Later he moved back to the states and turned up in good roles in several major movies later on - "Satisfaction" with Julia Roberts,
"Ellie Parker" with Naomi Watts, a couple of others. 

I dug around and found a photo from that bathtub scene. I'll scan and post it soon-
Fun reminiscing with you guys!
peace!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 06:23:20 AM »

In re Delli Colli, I've only heard good things about him. It's fun to watch interviews of him, and I remember on the OUATITW documentary Claudia Cardinale couldn't say enough good things about him. Afro

I don't think I've seen Brian Bloom in anything, but those eyes... amazingly distinctive. Adrian Curran was Cockeye, right?

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Scott Tiler has stopped by here a few times and shared his experiences on the films. Once he asked what happened to you, Jewels, so I don't know if you've been in touch with him or not. He has a website at http://www.scotttiler.com if you want to get in touch.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Sergio.L
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:46 AM »

nice picture a1...  Grin

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 07:16:19 AM »

I have to agree with James Woods, the crew was amazing!
When we shot the bathtub scene, I was nervous about being naked around all those Italian men.
They were so wonderful,very protective of me and completely respectful. One of the wardrobe people kept ironing a bathrobe for me so in between takes, I was wrapped in a warm bathrobe! How's that for star treatment?
My favorite person on the crew was Tonino Dellicolli (DP) incredibly sweet and funny and ....tiny! Like a little elf. I think he liked me because I'm small, too.
I still have this little button he gave me, it has a picture of puckered lips and it says "Baci" - kiss. He gave them out to everyone, it was his little gesture. Such a great talent and so great to work with.

I'm not in touch with any of the actors, I ran into Brian Bloom a couple of years ago here in LA and it was great to see him again. He did a soap for a long time and  now you can see him in a Cadillac commercial. We had a great talk, neither one of us knew how important the film and that staircase scene would become over the years. He's incredibly handsome, those eyes! Adrian Curran and I dated for a little while in Rome and after we got back to NYC. He was a drummer, wonder where he is now?

Memories of Cinecitta are great, it really was like a city. I would go and watch filming on the days I wasn't working and just soak up the atmosphere.
Around 4 in the afternoon, when everyone was getting a little tired, they'd come around with hot crispy bread and espresso for a little pick me up.
It was a family feeling on the set, people were always going to restaurants together and talking about things to do on our days off.  Someone on the crew
(I wish I could remember who!) loaned me a Vespa scooter so I could boogie around Rome.
I got friendly with an American an actor working on the film as one of Bugsy's thugs - Scott Coffey. He was living in Rome and working at Cinecitta quite often as an extra and in bit parts. Later he moved back to the states and turned up in good roles in several major movies later on - "Satisfaction" with Julia Roberts,
"Ellie Parker" with Naomi Watts, a couple of others. 

I dug around and found a photo from that bathtub scene. I'll scan and post it soon-
Fun reminiscing with you guys!
peace!

Wonderful recollections Jewells and absolutely fascinating for all us OUATIA buffs Afro  

Tonino Delli Colli sounded a great guy - thought you would find this (his last) interview interesting  www.theasc.com/magazine/mar05/colli/page1.html

Brian Bloom seems to pop up a lot in CSI - I'm sure I've seen him in all three shows.

Scott Coffey I'm sure he's the  thug with the crazy spiky haircut?  Always thought his hair looked a bit out of place for the 1920's Huh

Regards Adrian Curran (where is he now) www.adriancurran.remax-hearthstone-ny.com/home/default.aspx

Rusty Jacobs (Young Max)    www.flickr.com/search/?q=rusty+jacobs    www.wunc.org    wunc@wunc.org

If you do contact these guys Jewels - maybe you would be kind enough to ask them to drop us a line Smiley  and maybe they could also share their recollections.

Thanks again.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »

Jewels welcome.  Enjoyed reading your posts.  Thank you for your insight and memories on the rooftop and charlotte russe scenes.  Great stuff to remember while rewatching the film!

Jewels
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 11:43:28 PM »

Hey there!

Thanks for the actor updates, I will get in touch with Scott. We're both in LA, so maybe we can re-connect after all these years!
I found and scanned a couple of photos for you guys, not sure how to post them.
Can you clue me in so I can share them?
thank you!!

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 01:12:39 AM »

Sign up at photobucket.com and upload the pictures there, then post the links here.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »

Thank you.  Afro

Julie, did you have an opportunity to attend any of the premieres?

Jewels
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 02:47:10 PM »

Ya know, I didn't.
I'm not sure if there was a New York premiere. If there was, I didn't go.
There was a really fun wrap party in Soho at an Italian (of course!) restaurant.

I first saw the movie (short version) in the theatre with friends and family, of course I was mortified when I realized 2 of my scenes were gone.
When the long version was released I was so glad at least the bathroom scene was back in.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »

Whatever mod is dealing with this ought to delete the troll post and leave the rest of the thread rather than move it to the Moderator Board. We don't want to lose such a valuable and interesting thread.

Saturday nights with Groggy
DJASh
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2008, 06:35:24 PM »

What a great thread. Wonders of t'internet!

twood
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »

Very cool that Julie has posted here.

Hi!

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »

We were shooting the scene on the roof, Leone was doing the master shot from the roof next door.
He called action and then shouted to me across the rooftops in that thick accent "Okay, Julie, start F***ING!"

haha omg thats hilarious

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM